Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

anyone ever fly an ace whizard?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

anyone ever fly an ace whizard?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 03:32 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone ever fly an ace whizard?

OK guys, back when I got my first radio (a Kraft 3 channel "brick") in the early 1980's, my very first try at RC was an Ace Whizard. I actually had two, first one had a golden bee and lasted about 30 seconds. I actually still remember it was covered in red and blue monokote. Second one was powered by my first TD, an 051. I dont remember if I even flew it but since it got smashed I guess I did try, it was black and orange!

I would LOVE to get my hands on one today, and hear about others who may have flown this particular model. Long since out of production (it had a foam wing) I passed up the opportunity to grab one two years ago at Toledo (but the guy wanted a fortune for it!) and kinda' regret that. But, I still have no idea if it was a good flier or not.

Thanks!

Andrew Coholic

PS after the whizard I bought an ace alpha, and actually had some success with that one. Being 12 or 13 yrs old, and trying to teach yourself to fly RC, I have been reliving some of my older memories lately... can you tell?
Old 11-29-2002, 07:05 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old dude

Must be those cold caniadian days freeze burning your brain in to thinking that the old crash and scrounge for money for a plane days, were worth remebering( stealing coke bottles from the local laundry mat for there 5cents return) or mowing some ones lawn for that pint of cox fuel, sound familier ??? can't remember my early days I doped to many little satans, any way there are a few of these on ebay just go to hobbies, type in ace and there you go, just got another GLH off of there,
Old 11-29-2002, 10:03 PM
Chap
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They fly very well. I still have one with a Cox Black Widow on it. The one I have is close to 25 years old.
Chap
Old 11-29-2002, 11:06 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Hi,
I still have mine. It has been around along time also. One time I launched it and never turned the radio on. It took off as pretty as can be. It flew in nice big circles heading south. It flew out of sight. I said goodbye to it then and there. My wife said lets go look for it. The area is nothing more that cornfields and bean fields. No chance, but my wife and I got in the car and headed out. A mile and a half down the road it appears sitting along the roadside. Sitting as nice as can be on its landing gear. What luck. Of all the places it could have landed. it picked a spot where I could find it
Old 11-29-2002, 11:30 PM
ajcoholic

Man, now you REALLY got me wanting one again! I never thought to search ebay, but there was one sold just yesterday for $25 NIB! I will keep my eyes open. There is actually one on right now, but its been half built. I want the kit unstarted.

I am sure with modern lightweught gear it will be a great improvement to my old kraft brick which really was a BRICK!

Thanks for your replies fellows!

Andrew
Old 11-30-2002, 01:15 AM
JERRY RCIA

I had two Ace Whizards back in the 70's. They were both great flying planes. I even had ailerons on the second one. With todays lightweight radio gear, the Whizard would really perform. If your unable to locate a kit, RCM sells the plans and will provide the name of a company to cut the foam wings...........Jerry
Old 11-30-2002, 01:43 AM
ajcoholic

Jerry,
Didnt know it was an RCM plan! Thanks for the tip. I am counting on getting a kit, however, if possible. Want to recreate the excitement of 20 years ago!

I am only 32 now, maybe a bit young to get "nostalgic" but heck, it was allready 20 years ago!

Andrew
Old 11-30-2002, 02:04 AM
rhd-RCU

If anyone is interested I can check Monday. I think Ace is making the kit again.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:14 AM
ajcoholic

Sure I'm interested! Let me know!

Andrew
Old 11-30-2002, 02:17 AM
rhd-RCU

Will do.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:20 AM
ajcoholic

Hey,
Look what I just found!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread.php?threadid=60972

Its a guy trying to sell a Whizard kit, a 1/2A Alpha and the most weird one is the Pilot QB15!!

Thats weird because those three planes are the same exact three I built when learning to fly! (along with some scratch built ones from RCM plans).

Too bad he is asking $75 EACH kit. Thats way to much for my blood.

Andreww
Old 11-30-2002, 03:26 AM
ajcoholic

Default It must be back!

Hey,
After searching the WWW a bit tonight, I found a bunch of US hobby dealers that sell the Whizard, and the Alpha too!

So it must be back in production (price seems to be $35 t0 $40 US) and I will sure get one again.

Andrew
Old 12-02-2002, 05:47 PM
ajcoholic

Default Its back!

The Ace Whizard is indeed back into production. I ordered one today from a hobby shop here in Canada and hopefully next summer I will be flying around (power is going to be a Medallian 049 with muffler/throttle sleeve) remembering my youthfull days and having a bit more luck than I had 20 odd years ago with my first.

I'm a happy dude!

Andrew Coholic
Old 01-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Scully

Hi, ajcoholic,
I am going to order an ACE Whizard from Canada www.greathobbies.com (is it were you got yurs?) or from UK here tomorrow.

Any info on the quality of the kit, ease of build, size of receiver/servos/battey it takes, flying ability (loops, any inverted at all?)
would be HIGHLY appreciated! Which engine you are using?

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:15 PM
ajcoholic

Skully,
I should have my kit any day now, as it was shipped to me from Great Hobbies last Tuesday (new years eve)!

It is, from my memory, a trainer type plane, rudder and elevator only (allthough I guess you can add ailerons if you are so inclined!) so aerobatics are limited to barrel rolls and loops, inverted would be hard due to the lack of ailerons and quite a bit of dihedral.

The reason I want one is becuase that was my first RC plane back in the early 1980's. If you are after a more aerobatic plane, I would recommend you look at something else.

Allthough the Whizard will take regular sized radio gear, I suggest (and will myself) you use micro gear, every 1/2 ounce you save is better flying characteristics!

regards,
Andrew Coholic
Old 01-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Scully

Thanks Andrew,

I would love to know how you liked the kit and how building went.
I may even wait a bit for your feedback before I order as I can't find any info on this kit.

This is for my son and it is going to be his first powered plane, so I want it to be a trainer, but as he is comfortable with a 2-channel slope glider trainer (well - it's an EPP S1-26 - almost undestructable) and can do a loop with it I would like the new plane to be capable of a loop too (which I understand Whizard is quit capable of).
I may also consider building it rudd/elev only first and then adding ailerons a bit later may be.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:29 PM
DieselFumes
My Feedback: (3)

Default Source for Ace Whizard & Alpha

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/quantummodels/
Old 01-07-2003, 12:27 AM
matthewn7

Try this website http://www.acehobby.com/acehobby/pro...ers/index.html
Old 01-12-2003, 09:00 PM
dadzilla-5

Default and after you crash it...

And after you finally crash it one too many times to rebuild the fuse again, do what i did - build a simple box fuse and stuff in a speed 400 6V - the wing is perfect for speed 400!!! No kidding, it is awesome. I loved my whizzard too, and I would build it electric now if I got a new one. I have two wings left over - the wings oulasted the bodies on these...
Mark
Old 01-16-2003, 08:30 PM
jgiles-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I'm glad to hear they're building them again as I will buy another one. I would love to see ACE release the GLH, Pacer and Super Pacer again as these were HOT planes in their day and we had a ton of fun with them.

I built a wizard back in the early 90's and flew the heck out of it! I would climb it up nice and high and when the engine died it would usually thermal w/o much problem. Build it light though! This was the plane that I introduced people to the hobby on as it was just about impossible to crash it. Leave off the landing gear and mount the radio switch so you don't turn it off when hand launching. I turned mine off during launching and watch it slowly climb out into a large circle. I jumped in my car and followed it for a mile before the engine quit and it landed in a field! No damage whatsoever as it would truly float in for a landing.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Scully

Thanks Jgiles
This is very useful info for me - and gives me a good idea of Whizard flying ability.
So I am getting a thermal ship and a trainer in one! That's even better.
Mine is coming from GreatHobbies WEB shop from Canada hopefully quit soon.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:38 PM
dadzilla-5

Default engines for whizard

hey i have a couple of black widows and a dragonfly (engines) that worked with my old whizard - if anyone wants them I will sell them cheap - I'm all electric now.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:43 AM
ajcoholic

Im interested - Whats cheap?

AJC from Ontario CANADA...
Old 01-18-2003, 12:50 AM
dadzilla-5

Well, tower hobbies has black widows for 35 dollars - how about half for a used one?
$17.50 and shipping - make it $20 and it is yours, shipped. I'll send you one that is low time, and works well. Just let me know...I take paypal. Need any props? I can throw in one free if you like. I have two black widows - oh ya and a glider pylon mount for 049 engines if you want that we could talk. Lots of APC props and cox props as well, a few glow heads, some TD heads, so on and on...