Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

HOB p-51 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOB p-51 build

3/2A engines? or the .61 2/3A

Close enough. seems like anything under .40 is considered micro these days at the places I've been
Old 02-28-2006, 11:39 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL ... that`s great.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:45 AM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: skylane42

I wouldn`t add the retracts and stearable tailwheel. For one thing if you are flying off grass the small main wheels will be a problem on take off. They will be next to impossible so that makes a stearable tailwheel worthless. As for retracts, almost as worthless. My guess is that you will be hand launching the plane so just leave the mains off and land in the grass as you suggested.
Not necessarily impossible. On a nice carpet type grass (burmuda, zoyzia, centipede) you'll have no trouble taking off. Longer grass/ weeds will require a larger main wheel but may still be possible. I always take my Herr Little Extra off from grass. It has a Norvel 074, a little bity tail wheel and wheel pants! Our grass isn't even short. Where you may find trouble though is with a P51 (long nose moment) and that big, honkin, heavy .15! I think you may have some nose-over issues. Worst case scenario, though: you ditch the gear, cover over the wheel wells and belly land the sucker. Just be sure to full stall it about 6 inches from the ground so you don't slide it down the runway! Be sure to post pics of the finished plane; heck, even the build!

Brian
Old 02-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Brogue

I don’t want to be the dissenting voice here but I fly my HOB 109 with a TT07 and it’s great, not underpowered in the slightest, in fact it is reluctant to land on a fast tickover!!

Photos here:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1971183/anchors_1971183/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1971183[/link]
Old 02-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

I did contemplate one of those Norvel engines and I still do, but flying in Colorado at 6K plus feet, you need a little more power, I'll ask around for the best possible combination.

Joe
Old 02-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Sneasle

ok.. so now the suggestions are to go back to a norvell .074? i would like this thing to be a bit of a rocket. and the reason i wanted retracts is cause there are several diff areas around here i can fly, i also travell quite a bit, and i dont want to be resigned to having to hand launch it every time. that, and i wouldnt trust many people to hand launch it, much less myself.

so considering i am in alabama and not at 6k feet over see level, will the .074 be enough to give me a nice zippy plane when i get to flying it? or would a .1 be a better bet? i mean, the box says 1/2a and up to a .15 engine... so ..ya.. idk.. yall know this better then i do

to brogue, that plane looks damn good. would you please share with me how you set your control systems up so that way they are soon invisible? also, i noticed you have your elevator braced. is that somethign i shoudl consider doing as well?
Old 02-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Sneasle

someone mentioned fox engines earlier.. how bout this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

or this?

any thoughts on the condition of those?
Old 02-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Sneasle

sorry guys...

or this one?

sorry for all the ebay links.... but im on a really really tight budget.. part of the reason why my other mustang and my 2m glider remain unfinished... (college student).. and with this way this is looking, im gonna need at least 5, possibly 6 hs-55's, and they are about $17 at LHS, which is a huge chunk out of my wallet considering it takes me about 3 weeks to make that
Old 02-28-2006, 08:35 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Neither of those engines have a throttle so if you choose one of them you'll be hand launching anyway. I don't know that the 074 will make the plane a rocket but I believe it will fly at a very respectable speed. I don't think you'll notice any appreciable difference between the 074 and the .10. If anything, I think the performance would suffer with a .10 due to the increase in weight.

Brogue, that is a killer looking ME-109! That just shows how nice and scale these kits can be.

Brian
Old 02-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: fireman7875

Neither of those engines have a throttle so if you choose one of them you'll be hand launching anyway. I don't know that the 074 will make the plane a rocket but I believe it will fly at a very respectable speed. I don't think you'll notice any appreciable difference between the 074 and the .10. If anything, I think the performance would suffer with a .10 due to the increase in weight.

Brogue, that is a killer looking ME-109! That just shows how nice and scale these kits can be.

Brian
ok, so .074 norvel is the way to go then? like, the big mig or whatever it is called?

how can i tell if the engine is throttled or not? if there somethign specific i should look for? somethign on the carb?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:17 PM
hogflyer

OK, Sneasle, I found the perfect engine for your P-51. After giving it a lot of thought, why carry the extra weight of a throttle when a throttless engine will work fine (your belly landing on grass, right?). And at $300.00 for the reworked engine, its just pocket change. But if you really do need the throttle, for a bit more they can accomodate that, along with gear reduction if you need just a bit more speed. Besides, nothing flies like a Nelson.

http://www.the-printer.net/DookCat.html#Nelson%20engine

hogflyer
Old 03-01-2006, 06:23 PM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

OK, Sneasle, I found the perfect engine for your P-51. After giving it a lot of thought, why carry the extra weight of a throttle when a throttless engine will work fine (your belly landing on grass, right?). And at $300.00 for the reworked engine, its just pocket change. But if you really do need the throttle, for a bit more they can accomodate that, along with gear reduction if you need just a bit more speed. Besides, nothing flies like a Nelson.

http://www.the-printer.net/DookCat.html#Nelson%20engine

hogflyer
i think your kidding, i hope your kidding, either way im gonna stragle you

tis a pretty engine though
Old 03-01-2006, 06:30 PM
hogflyer

Old 03-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

Poke.

so, what is your actual suggestionf or an engine for this thing then?

i asked this question in the retracts thread that got started, but it wasnt answered so i will ask it here..

those tower retracts..
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUY31&P=7

would they be able to support the 22-28 oz weights that the box says this plane will have once finished?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Sneasle

ok, so, since most people seem to be leaning toward me using a .074 norvel, woudl this one do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NORVEL-074-BIG-M...QQcmdZViewItem

?

or would it be better for me to buy retail, if that is possible?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:57 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sneasle, 100's of HOB P-51s have been built without landing gear and powered with your basic $60 .15 motor. If you are after truly great performance and the widest flight envelope possible, then having landing gear on these 1/12th scale planes is not the way to go, unless you plan on spending all your time doing touch and goes, which you probably won't anyway because you will soon get tired of repairing or replacing the retract units after anything less than a perfect touch down. I think anybody who is serious about flying small "performance" planes will force themselves to learn how to hand launch with trainers that are foregiving, at least to gain confidence. Trust me, all a .15 powered HOB Mustang needs for a launch is for you to give it a gentle push at full throttle, and it will be flying before you can get your left hand back to the radio. If you prop it with a MAS 8x3, or 8x4, the speed won't ever get too high, but the overall performance will be awesome. Once you get settled in, then try a 7x5 or 7x6 and hold on!
Old 03-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Sneasle, 100's of HOB P-51s have been built without landing gear and powered with your basic $60 .15 motor. If you are after truly great performance and the widest flight envelope possible, then having landing gear on these 1/12th scale planes is not the way to go, unless you plan on spending all your time doing touch and goes, which you probably won't anyway because you will soon get tired of repairing or replacing the retract units after anything less than a perfect touch down. I think anybody who is serious about flying small "performance" planes will force themselves to learn how to hand launch with trainers that are foregiving, at least to gain confidence. Trust me, all a .15 powered HOB Mustang needs for a launch is for you to give it a gentle push at full throttle, and it will be flying before you can get your left hand back to the radio. If you prop it with a MAS 8x3, or 8x4, the speed won't ever get too high, but the overall performance will be awesome. Once you get settled in, then try a 7x5 or 7x6 and hold on!
Ok, THANKYOU CP, thats what i've been needing.. ok.. so in your opinion, the .15 is not too big and will not make this thing way too nose heavy? what .15 woudl you recomment then?

ok, with that said, retracts are gone, so are all other gear options. if i want to ground launch it, ill build a trolley for it. how's that?

Can anyone recomment a fuel tank for this bird? i would like the longest flights possible, so the biggest tank i can fit i guess.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 AM
combatpigg

If I remember right, a 2 oz tank will give you enough time at full throttle to fly 5 minutes, there might be a 3 oz tank that will fit. Any cheap .15 will do, I like the OS LA. Believe me, trolley, bungee, or any other launch gimmick is way more precarious than just opening your left hand after a gentle push. With over 3 pounds of thrust, your 28 oz plane will fly as soon as you open your hands, just make sure that it passes a test for straightness and trim after you are done covering it and setting up the controls.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Sneasle

as of now, this magnum is lookign to be my best bet. its a little lighter then the others that tower has weight listed for, and is listed as being slightly more powerful. any input?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAN90&P=0
Old 03-02-2006, 01:57 AM
combatpigg

That engine is a good choice too. You will need to move the battery to the trunk to help with the balance issue, also check the firewall location to make sure that the spinner will end up being a nice distance from the cowl, but I don't remember having to move the firewall. I always side mounted the engines, and the end result looked like the plane was designed for a .15. It never needed any lead in the tail, either, but if yours' does, it won't be much if you do a good job of distributing the weight of the gear.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:45 AM
Brogue

Thank you Brian.

Sneasle, the 109 was built as per plan, torque rods for the ailerons, no rudder and the elevator is a Sullivan snake. I airbrushed the fuselage with the snake and clevis in place and so they are reasonably well camouflaged. Don't bother with the braces they are a scale detail on the 109E and get knocked off every other flight.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:22 AM
Joe Ortiz

Wow, this thread is motivating me to build mine [sm=thumbup.gif]

Joe
Old 03-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Sneasle

ok, cool, thanks guys, i will take those ideas into consideration.

Brogue, what do you mean by a sullivan snake? the term is not familiar to me.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:50 PM
SquirlNutZipper
My Feedback: (9)

I've got the Magnum .15 in my HOB Mustang and it is quick, very quick with a 7x6. I usually stick to an 8x4, I haven't tried an 8x6 yet. An O.S. .10 is also a good choice. I was about ready to put my TT07 in it for a lighter wing loading but was told it might not have enough power so back in went the Magnum. The Magnum could use a larger carb but that's my only complaint.

Battery in the trunk like CP says.

Would you like to see some photo's of mine so you have an idea of the setup?

Alex
Old 03-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Joe Ortiz

Yeah!!! pictures will be sweet

Joe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.