Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

little bigger > yes or no?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

little bigger > yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:57 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little bigger > yes or no?

hi all,

this is my second post here, in the first i got some DNU plans from good people here & some good advice

so before my first small plane, i did some checking on what i could find here (Czech Republic) & guess what!

1- i foud some Carson servos for $12.... ordered 4 of them > tell me what you think!
http://www.jr-models.cz/hracky_detai..._id=26&lang=cz

2- secondo, any Cox engine here would be MORE expensive than this ASP .061 (throttled) ($50)
http://jino.inshop.cz/inshop/

so i was thinking of building with a DNU using these servos & engine

my question: is the engine to big for the original plans you guys gave me? (with 3 servos)

would the wing loading still be ok or do i have to blow up the plans a bit?

so i can start building....

cheers, Vasek
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43980.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	448936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87442.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	448937  
Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: little bigger > yes or no?

The engine should be fine. You can throttle back if you find it too much. I don't like to use a servo that small on the elevator. If my calculations are correct, the torque is 15.6 oz/in, which is enough, but I don't trust the little gears.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:04 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think the servo will be OK but be careful with handling the model so that you don't bang the control surfaces as Bipe is right. Much of any shock loads on the micro servos and the gears can be damaged all too easily. BUt for flight loads they are fine.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an in-flight gear failure with an HS-81 on a ACE Simple Ultimate, so now I'm a little extra careful in that area. It was some fun getting it down in one peice.[sm=eek.gif]
Old 04-21-2006, 09:03 PM
SGC

vasek,
The GWS park servo would be a good choice :- http://www.jr-models.cz/hracky_detai..._id=26&lang=cz or the GWS narro maxBB :- http://www.jr-models.cz/hracky_detai..._id=26&lang=cz , I have used these succesfully in 15 sized models without problems, tough little buggers.
Stewart
Old 04-21-2006, 09:37 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Vasek, the wing is large enough for quite a bit of weight. Wingloading isn't a big deal unless you got to extremes with too small an engine. Since you're talking about a bigger, but not significantly heavier engine, you should have quite a performer on your hands. I don't know your experience level with model airplanes, but at full throttle, you're going need to be at least an intermediate pilot!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:51 AM
vasek

hi guys,

i'll get some servos then, i'll keep the small ones for the throttle (and retract valves 4 my bigger planes)

SCG, thanks for pointing out the servos!!!! still a good deal around 15 bucks a piece

PT, i'm looking forward to some action then! i have a DF jet in the works so it will make for a good reflex "trainer"

BIPE, i foud the vid of your bipe, very nice!

as i indicated before i have moved overseas and right now my workshop is nonexistant and all the work 4 a while will be on the old-house i moved in (kitchen, windows...) SO a little project like this is great! and i think i'll keep building the "small" ones even after i get settled in

4 now my workshop will be a shabby stable for 1 horse or a small(er) pigsty for 2 (don't laugh!) i'llpost some pics later, it smells but i don't mind horse s**t not so sure about the pig stuff.... [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

when i get organized i'll get going!

thanks again guys,
cheers V.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:13 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

VASEK, I use similar servos [HS 55s] to the ones you show in my DNU and have got dozens of flights on them. If you put the control rod on the inner servo arm hole, you will get the most leverage which is what those servo gears like very much. The plane could easily be built with a 36" wing from standard length wood, and this would make the plane easier to fly if you have doubts about your abilities..
Old 04-22-2006, 04:31 PM
vasek

CB i am with you on this! thanks... plus if i enlarge to 36 in i just might get lucky with the balsa size conversion to metric[8D]

usualy you have to go a small size up or down to match the metric balsa thikness or sticks... so i'll go "size up" for the bigger span!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:40 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There you go, the tail surface area would need to be increased if you make the wing too much bigger, then the tail ends up weighing more, which means extending the nose, then you gotta........you get the idea, don't go too far from the original latout, I'm sure that anything up to 36 inches would be OK, 39 inches [a meter] should be too.