Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ebay Fever

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 08:28 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ebay Fever

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

ORIGINAL: eroc144

I view this as an urban legend so let's call in "Mythbusters" and do a quick test. flyinrog or bsindel - can either of you post the item number of ebay auction where this has happened. This will let those "doubting Thomases" among us view the auction and the bid history. Should make for an interesting couple of posts.

FYI - The auction has to have closed within the past 30 - 60 days as ebay removes older auctions as a matter of IT policy.

EG
Sorry eroc, its been over a year for me, all occasions ( I know it happened twice, and I think maybe a third time) ocurred when either I would have been asleep or gone..one was a kit I was winning at about $35 that went to my $50 max bid with no other bids and the other was an engine I was winning at about $50 the went to $70 that was the last time I bid when I couldnt watch...I fully understand your urban legend theory, and I'm glad bsindel showed up , but I'm sure there are others besides us who have experienced this......Rog
I'm sorry. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are wrong. No ifs, ands, or buts, the software you are talking about DOES NOT EXIST. You are just not understanding the bidding system.

It cannot be done.

You are not even understanding the IMPLICATIONS of what you are saying.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:44 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

ORIGINAL: eroc144

I view this as an urban legend so let's call in "Mythbusters" and do a quick test. flyinrog or bsindel - can either of you post the item number of ebay auction where this has happened. This will let those "doubting Thomases" among us view the auction and the bid history. Should make for an interesting couple of posts.

FYI - The auction has to have closed within the past 30 - 60 days as ebay removes older auctions as a matter of IT policy.

EG
Sorry eroc, its been over a year for me, all occasions ( I know it happened twice, and I think maybe a third time) ocurred when either I would have been asleep or gone..one was a kit I was winning at about $35 that went to my $50 max bid with no other bids and the other was an engine I was winning at about $50 the went to $70 that was the last time I bid when I couldnt watch...I fully understand your urban legend theory, and I'm glad bsindel showed up , but I'm sure there are others besides us who have experienced this......Rog
I'm sorry. Don't take this the wrong way, but you are wrong. No ifs, ands, or buts, the software you are talking about DOES NOT EXIST. You are just not understanding the bidding system.

It cannot be done.

You are not even understanding the IMPLICATIONS of what you are saying.
Yeah I know your never wrong,,check post #20 where I state, I dont know if its software or a program..I only stated that it happened..as did bsindel..I have bid successfully for 5 years and am fully aware of the system...if you want to come on here and disagree fine...but if ..no ifs, and or buts about it is your answer and I'm just some mindless dolt in your eyes then you sir; are a Crackhead and I dont need your opinions!!.perhaps there is some ebay glitch where you can hit shift F4 and type in the word booger and it magically tells you the bidders max, I dont know ..I only know that it happened! good day!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:54 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

The item numbers will still exist, you gave or got feedback for both of the items, no? I doubt you forgot who the sellers were. I"m sure you remember these two items. Post the numbers, and I will call Rob Chesnut, ebay's Vice President of Trust and Safety, and he will get to the bottom of it right away.

How about this? I will offer a $25,000 reward for a copy of such a program or glitch. I would make my money back in a day.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:02 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if the mysterious ending bid jump for non-reserve auctions is some artifact of sniping software? I thought the bid history would still show if a sniper sniped but was outbid by the proxy though, so that's not it- yikes!
The thought of the proxy max being accessable to outside eyes is scary!
I wonder if this is being discussed in the ebay safe harbor forum? Is should be!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:06 AM
flyinrog

The item numbers will still exist, you gave or got feedback for both of the items, no? I doubt you forgot who the sellers were. I"m sure you remember these two items. Post the numbers, and I will call Rob Chesnut, ebay's Vice President of Trust and Safety, and he will get to the bottom of it right away.

How about this? I will offer a $25,000 reward for a copy of such a program or glitch. I would make my money back in a day.
you keep a log of item numbers and sellers that you bought from successfully for a year?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: mclintock

I wonder if the mysterious ending bid jump for non-reserve auctions is some artifact of sniping software? I thought the bid history would still show if a sniper sniped but was outbid by the proxy though, so that's not it- yikes!
The thought of the proxy max being accessable to outside eyes is scary!
I wonder if this is being discussed in the ebay safe harbor forum? Is should be!
It's not being discussed, because the problem does not exist.

Amazing that someone could THINK something happened to them...twice...maybe three times...with no EVIDENCE of anything actually happeneing...and then have a friend say they THINK this happened to them too, and then suddenly they are saying it's real.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:10 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

you keep a log of item numbers and sellers that you bought from successfully for a year?
It will be on your feedback. All feedback, since 1998, has the item number attached.
The item number still goes to permanent records at ebay. Every item is indeed archived.
Are you saying these two sellers ripped you off(what you are implying is stealing) and you don't remember who they are?

Go check your feedback and look them up.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:36 AM
flyinrog

It will be on your feedback. All feedback, since 1998, has the item number attached.
The item number still goes to permanent records at ebay. Every item is indeed archived.
Are you saying these two sellers ripped you off(what you are implying is stealing) and you don't remember who they are?

Go check your feedback and look them up.
My feedback goes to 02.but doesnt show any bidding...the first time I thought,huh? thats weird..the second or third time (not sure) I thought hey? there's some way that the seller can do this, I better not do it anymore,so I havent a clue who they are I just figured it was an ebay glitch... but I'm sure with any concrete evidence you would still dispute that it ever happened so why dont we just drop it? more here will argue that it didnt happen than it did...
Old 05-14-2006, 10:03 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Find it hard to believe that you cannot look at your feedback and remember which items they were, which sellers.

If you have concrete evidence, like I said, I'll give you $25k. There are any number of people who would LOVE to have this information, from ebay sellers to ebay themselves, to their competitors...
You realize this is a $40b corporation, and the value of your information is immeasurable? That if what you were saying was true, and it got out, it would throw the stock into a tizzy(it's already dropping fast) and that there are, literally, BILLIONS of dollars at stake?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a bidder I wouldn't be to worried about any kind of software that a seller can use to optain your max bid. There is just to much to lose if you got caught pulling something "funny". I am sure there is a logical reason for what happened to Rog and bsindel. I would bet it was something in relation to a reserve auction and the way they work. I have seen big jumps like that on both ones I bid and sell with. With as big as eBay is if something like this really was made the second it was "leaked" it would be all over the news and smashed like a bug in a matter of hours.

LAter,
Tim
Old 05-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I bid, I do it based on one of two methods. (1.) That's cute. I don't need it but I'll put in a low bid just to encourage the seller. Occasionally I get something cheap enough that I don't mind having it. (2.) I'd like to have that. It is worth $xx.xx plus shipping and insurance to me. I bid $xx.xx. I get the item for $xx.xx or less, or it goes to someone who valued it more highly than I did. Either way, I am a happy camper. I get about one out of 15 items I bid on. I have enough junk already; so I figure the person who out bid me probably did me a favor.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:16 PM
ProBroJoe

Jim, that's pretty much the same way I think. I've also found that eBay fever has spread to local flea markets. On more than one occasion I've tried to haggle on a price from one of the local vendors and I've been told "I could sell it on eBay for $xx.xx..." My answer to them; "Go right ahead and have a nice day!"

I have enough junk already; so I figure the person who out bid me probably did me a favor.
Amen to that!

-Joe
Old 05-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Toad

I wish all you guys would stop driving the norvel prices through the roof, so I can get more.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:41 PM
JimTrainor

Here is a service that automates the process of posting bid on ebay during the last few seconds of an auction (a.k.a sniping): http://www.auctionsniper.com

If you're max bid is in at, say $100, but the highest competing bid was only $49, then you'll will win the auction for $50.

If, in the last few seconds, a big comes in with a max of $99, then you will automatically outbid the $99 competieting bid and win the auction for $100.

Nothing mysterious here.... it's just a bidding stategy. If the $99 max bid had come in an hour before the end of the auction the result would be the same.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:13 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Maybe I can solve the "Ebay dilemma". You CAN change your reserve price AFTER bids have been made. The seller may have dropped his reserve when he saw the it would be necessary to get it sold. That would cause the undocumented jump. Easytiger, where's my 25K? Live up to your big mouth and PAY ME!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:18 PM
ptulmer

Ebay has changed the rules on lowering your reserve. (I think!) I don't remember all these stipulations, but it may have been complaints like you guys have that caused the change. If a reserve is lowered now, you get notified and your bid is lowered to $1 under the new reserve. You would have to bid again to win the item. Guess if you're at work, you lose out! I like it this way, cause if I don't make the reserve, I move on to other deals.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/lowering-reserve.html
Old 05-14-2006, 11:28 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Maybe I can solve the "Ebay dilemma". You CAN change your reserve price AFTER bids have been made. The seller may have dropped his reserve when he saw the it would be necessary to get it sold. That would cause the undocumented jump. Easytiger, where's my 25K? Live up to your big mouth and PAY ME!
Um, no. HAs nothing to do with this.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:49 AM
ptulmer

ET, your single line responses are stupid and tiring. What, exactly, are you responding to? No, never mind. I really don't care. You NEVER have anything to really offer. All you can do is assume that everyone but you is stupid.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:44 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ET, your single line responses are stupid and tiring. What, exactly, are you responding to? No, never mind. I really don't care. You NEVER have anything to really offer. All you can do is assume that everyone but you is stupid.
You don't really seem to READ what others are saying. You just SKIM and do not UNDERSTAND, and then spout an ad hominem attack backed by a "factoid" that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Why don't you go back and:
Reread the original complaint about how Rogflyer thinks he got shafted? Because from your answer, you obviously do not understand what he is saying. Your "solution" about lowering reserves has nothing to do with this whatsoever. All it was was you looking to make a dig at me. How sad.

At any rate, rog really beleives that there IS a piece of software that will tell the seller what someone's max bid is. He really believes it.
There is no such thing, but I give up on trying to convince him.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Wayne C

No such thing? How can you be sure? If someone did have it why would they give it up for 25k? rog didn't say he knew how it happened. He just said it happened.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:40 PM
PsychTeacher

For what its worth:

I have bought a fair amount of stuff on eBay. I have been "sniped" a few times (outbid at the last possible second), but I learned to avoid getting into a bidding "fever." It is kinda exciting, but there are better ways to jump-start the old ticker. Now I search for the kind of things that I want. I decide early what my absolute maximum bid is and I post that bid early. More than once I have won because my max bid was the highest and it was recorded earliest. When I lose I no longer feel bad about it because whoever did win really was willing to pay more for the item than it was worth to me. Would I have paid one dollar more to win? Maybe, but maybe the other guy would just have kept bidding up. Five dollars more? Ten? It gets ridiculous after a while. So, using my method, I still get some great bargains, sometimes, and I have met some great people that I would not have otherwise. I have made purchases from Great Britain and from Australia, and all across the good 'ol US of A. I have never been "burned" by a bad purchase. Sometimes the shipping charges are outrageous, but I have also negotiated reduced charges on occasion just by asking.

Regards, Ben Newkirk
Old 05-15-2006, 11:25 PM
bsindel

Ptulmer,

This only happened to me a few times, as having been bitten a few times I learned my lesson and did not leave a max bid and walk away from the process again. On the occaisions when this happened I was bidding on non reserve items (engines I believe) and upon returning I found that my "winning bid" had no bid history between my last bid and my max bid. The first time it happened I just thought that something weird had happened, but the next time it happened I complained to Ebay about it. Their response was a canned email that basically said you're an idiot cause we know that can't happen period end of reply. I really didn't expect much from them so I wasn't very surprised, and I just adopted a policy of not leaving max bids laying around, problem solved. I have not been very active on the Bay of late, and wouldn't leave a max bid laying around again anyway so I can't really say whether or not this is still going on or not. However, a word to the wise as they say. It would seem that the this cannot be a very widespread problem or you would hear quite a few folks chiming in to say that they have also encountered this. My guess is that the "HOLE" was quietly plugged, and so the problem has since gone away ( I still don't leave max bids though )..!!!!

Bill S. (the other Bill)
Old 05-16-2006, 07:08 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: bsindel

Ptulmer,

This only happened to me a few times, as having been bitten a few times I learned my lesson and did not leave a max bid and walk away from the process again. On the occaisions when this happened I was bidding on non reserve items (engines I believe) and upon returning I found that my "winning bid" had no bid history between my last bid and my max bid. The first time it happened I just thought that something weird had happened, but the next time it happened I complained to Ebay about it. Their response was a canned email that basically said you're an idiot cause we know that can't happen period end of reply. I really didn't expect much from them so I wasn't very surprised, and I just adopted a policy of not leaving max bids laying around, problem solved. I have not been very active on the Bay of late, and wouldn't leave a max bid laying around again anyway so I can't really say whether or not this is still going on or not. However, a word to the wise as they say. It would seem that the this cannot be a very widespread problem or you would hear quite a few folks chiming in to say that they have also encountered this. My guess is that the "HOLE" was quietly plugged, and so the problem has since gone away ( I still don't leave max bids though )..!!!!

Bill S. (the other Bill)
Thats pretty much what I said and I think your right Bill that the "HOLE" was found and plugged..I dont leave a max more than I will pay anymore either...I know it has been over a year since it happened to me....there were no reserves on mine either I know one was an engine they had starting prices but not reserves ....Rog..Thanks Bill
Old 05-16-2006, 07:30 AM
ptulmer

Well, I tried! I don't remember all those reserve stipulations when I was selling kits. You guys gotta get a sniping account. That way you don't run the bid up ahead of time. It probably ain't nice, but who said I was nice? Just nicer than some...

I wonder if Ebay is running some kind of Microsoft software? Patches, holes, etc.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I don't doubt you guys one bit. With the stakes high like ET pointed out, any security problems they had would be denied unless proven. Of course, they couldn't be proven without internal access. The guys that found the hole in the first place sure ain't gonna be telling!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:25 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Well, I tried! I don't remember all those reserve stipulations when I was selling kits. You guys gotta get a sniping account. That way you don't run the bid up ahead of time. It probably ain't nice, but who said I was nice? Just nicer than some...

I wonder if Ebay is running some kind of Microsoft software? Patches, holes, etc.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I don't doubt you guys one bit. With the stakes high like ET pointed out, any security problems they had would be denied unless proven. Of course, they couldn't be proven without internal access. The guys that found the hole in the first place sure ain't gonna be telling!
Yup. That's the problem. Ebay runs on Windows 95, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.