Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ebay Fever

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:31 AM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ebay Fever

I have to admit that this thread amuses the snot out of me. It's all very conspiracyesque where the lack of evidence IS the evidence. Feel like I'm reading the X Files...

I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and have never been offered or located such software. Although that doesn't prove that it doesn't exist, it is a data point. I've also won my share of single max bid auctions (I entered my max amount up front and won the item) without having my bid run up, another data point.

I'll repeat my request for someone to provide the bid history from an auction where their max bid was run up without competing bids, that would be the best data point. Until then I'll treat this as an urban legend, and others can treat it as they like as well.

EG
Old 05-16-2006, 08:45 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Eroc, I didn't get that at all. Just two guys sharing a common experience that wasn't explained or valuable enough to persue.(where would you even start if ebay wouldn't cooperate?) I certainly won't hold them up to ridicule like ET did. I've met Flyinrog and he might not be the prettiest thang, but he's no dummy, either. Both have said it happened long enough ago that no records exist and it hasn't happened again. Whether it was a change of bidding practice, a software fix or (the most unlikely) a piece of software, they don't deserved to be looked down on for talking about it. What if it was more common and nobody spoke up!

For you ladies reading, Rog may not be pretty, but he's got plenty of money. You better like dogs, though!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:48 AM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER
Yup. That's the problem. Ebay runs on Windows 95, I think.
Hey! You made a joke![sm=stupid.gif]
Old 05-16-2006, 08:54 AM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: eroc144

Until then I'll treat this as an urban legend, and others can treat it as they like as well.

EG
PT - I wasn't looking down my nose or trying to ridicule anyone, and if my post read that way then I'll offer my unfettered apologies. As I indicated in my post, everyone's welcome to their opinions.

EG
Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 AM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll repeat my request for someone to provide the bid history from an auction where their max bid was run up without competing bids, that would be the best data point.
EG
Here is what a bid history looks like if the same bidder takes three tries to reach the reserve.. not what we're talking about here.. but still odd looking.
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7412152693
Old 05-16-2006, 02:06 PM
ptulmer

PT - I wasn't looking down my nose or trying to ridicule anyone, and if my post read that way then I'll offer my unfettered apologies. As I indicated in my post, everyone's welcome to their opinions.

EG
Err...no, I didn't think you were. Sorry if I gave that impression. I was just sticking up for Rog. If he said it happened to him, that's good enough for me. Why it happened is up for discussion!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:29 AM
bsindel

Ptulmer and Roger,

Just out of curiosity I did a little googling on this and found that others have commented about having this problem. This thing has got me curiosity up so I think I will have to do a bit more research to find out if this is more common than I thought and how recently those web reports are. Should be interesting anyway.

Conspiracy?? Sounds like muh hah hah hah (cape pulled up over the eyes...) Still fun.

Bill S. (the other Bill)
Old 05-17-2006, 10:17 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not accusing you of lying at all. Just of misinterpreting what really happened.

I have seen MANY cases where people thought something like this was happening, and it just came down to their own lack of understanding as to how the bidding system works.