Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

C02 engines- who can tell me about them?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

C02 engines- who can tell me about them?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:57 PM
JasonRP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C02 engines- who can tell me about them?

I was just talking about the early '80s Model Airplane News construction artical on the Bebe Jodel- C02 powered. I also remember seeing a C02 engine at a hobby shop when I was there with my dad- I was maybe 8 or so, so I don't remember much about it, other than it was very small.

Anyone here remember more than me about these motors? How much did they weigh, and how long did they run on a "tank" of fuel? How did they work, and who made them? Were they only good for freeflight? Or did anyone RC them?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-08-2006, 05:24 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: C02 engines- who can tell me about them?

Hey Jason, I was gonna get a co2 plane off the bay once, so I brought it here and asked about it and most everyone said it would be too weak to RC and it would only run for about a minute...Rog
Old 06-08-2006, 06:22 PM
rainedave

Ok, don't laugh too loud. I actually made an R/C C02 model a few months ago. It's basically the Model Aviation BDF, which was an update of the Old Timer Halfpint design with the fuse rotated 45 degrees.

I built it with ailerons and elevator using two FMA S70 Submicro servos and a Tetra rx with a 110 mah pack. I haven't even flown it yet, but the wing loading is respectable for the design. The aileron servo - which has been removed - was mounted in the fuse and connected to the ailerons with two tiny vertical pushrods (think bipe linkages).

And yes, the G-Mot 300 motor LOVES that antique 10x2 Tornado presswood C/L prop. It absolutely puts out enough thrust and runs long enough to get up to a hundred fifty feet or more. Catch a thermal and it could OOS!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15278.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	474486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77975.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	474487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16669.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	474488  
Old 06-08-2006, 09:26 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Now THAT is cool. You need to fly that thing and take video!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:47 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you just use the BB gun cartriges?

Dave, as the CC ambasador you and I need to meet one day for a noon meal or late one. FYI

Vic
Old 06-08-2006, 09:56 PM
rainedave

Thanks BuzzBommber. It's been sitting on top of my PC tower and I practically forgot about it until this thread, even though I look at it a dozen times a day. I just got a GWS Pico 4ch rx that would be even better than the old FMS Tettra. Man, those GWS rx's are tiny! When I bought the Tettra six years ago I thought it was small.

JasonRP, the best supplier I know of for things C02 is Roy Hanson of The Black Sheep Squadron: http://blacksheepsquadron.com/
As far as I know he is the sole importer of Gasparins and also carries the G-Mot line which are cheaper.

I bought an R/C throttle linkage from him for the 300 in the pics. Here's the info: http://blacksheepsquadron.com/thrott...ckringthrottle That's right, throttled C02.

You can buy different size tanks for different motor runs and it's best to get the paintball gun tank adapter since the little seltzer C02 cartridges won't fill the larger tanks.

If you think diesels can turn large props, you have to check out C02 engines. I'll tach the 10x2 tomorrow, but I can tell you it will just about pull that model out of my hand when I run it.

Give Mr. Hanson a call, but give yourself a good half hour. He's enthusiastic and loves to talk C02.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:31 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rainedav
If you think diesels can turn large props, you have to check out C02 engines. I'll tach the 10x2 tomorrow, but I can tell you it will just about pull that model out of my hand when I run it.
I have a CO2 converted Cox .049, and it will turn a 12-8 prop! Torque city. CO2 is a riot. My smallest is a Gasparin G6 (not their smallest) and I flew it indoors on an 8" span Cleveland Viking knockoff, does about a minute. The GM300 is a brute too.

MJD
Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only CO2 I have is an ancient OK. It used a seltzer type cartridge, but I don't have the adapter.

It works by having a BB seal at the top of the cylinder that is pushed up by a pin on top of the piston. It will only work upright.

The cylinder fins are actually for supplying heat so the cylinder won't freeze. There is a hole in the crankcase to add lubricating oil as needed.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49245.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	476415  
Old 06-12-2006, 12:00 PM
rainedave

George, there are - as I'm sure you know - a great number of classic old plans designed around those OK C02s.

Otto Kuhni does C02 repair work. He might be able to put a new filler valve on it for you.

Otto Kuhni
13253 Valleyheart Drive
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

Phone at home
Evenings BEFORE 9pm
818-788-4282
Old 06-12-2006, 01:46 PM
indoorff
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MJD

I have a CO2 converted Cox .049, and it will turn a 12-8 prop...
How did you convert it? Any plans?