Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Hitec HS-55 servos.GOOD for WHAT ???

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hitec HS-55 servos.GOOD for WHAT ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:22 PM
D Bronk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec HS-55 servos.GOOD for WHAT ???

What are you useing them for ???.

I want to use them, in a pair to control; 2 seperate channels,1 aileron each,On a DNU... ARE they strong/durable enough to do the DEED ??
Old 06-18-2006, 07:41 PM
microengine

Default RE: Hitec HS-55 servos.GOOD for WHAT ???

I recently got rid of some saturn micro servo's as I thought they were to weedy and cheap plastic looking. (They were four times the price of the hitec's).

You get what you pay for. I went for futaba in the end.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:52 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They will do the job just fine,

Robert
Old 06-18-2006, 07:57 PM
D Bronk

The majority of my electronics is Futaba.I`ve got a couple S3108 servos,they`re aprox.the same size as the Hitec HS-55 .The deals that are going on for that servo ,makes it hard, to not look/check into them.If they`re not up to the tasks of a 1/2A airplane then I guess any kind of deal,is NO deal at all.Any other opinions??Maybe these types of servos ,are only good for throttle operation..I was going to order a few the other day ,but decided to ask,before throwing my money on the table.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:30 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Dave, the HS-55 is FAR, FAR superior to their Futaba counterparts. I've got Combatpiggs 150+mph GZSWR sitting in a box in my garage and it's got HS-55's in it. If in doubt, go for the Karbonite gears in the HS-56. Hey, it worked for Han Solo, why not Hitec?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:35 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I've used them for seperate ailerons on a 36" Pica P51. My flying ability was more of a threat to the plane than weak servos. They worked well for the 8 flights before I drove it into the ground.[:@] Had one on the rudder and throttle. They will see use for throttle on my future kits.
Have fun, MIkeB
Old 06-18-2006, 09:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

These little servos are miraculous, in the high speed application they are subject to abuse from vibration, more than anything else. Always set them up with maximum mechanical advantage, instead of limiting travel volume at the TX. They survive well in 1/2A 3D applications with poor mechanical advantage, throwing the elevator and ailerons 45 degrees. They do go bad, I have bought several lemons, servo city had a sale last year, I bought 6 of them, and 4 went bad right away. These are micro servos with micro gear teeth, 4 servos weigh an ounce.....if you want bullet proof servos, I don't care which brand you choose, there will be a weight penalty. When it comes to RC there are 3 kinds of pilots, those who have crashed, those who are going to crash and those who are crashing right now, so I just look at my planes like those flowers that die every year, some planes survive, some don't. The carbonite servos should improve your odds, but you could run into bad ones too, all this stuff is slapped together so fast, they aren't making Swiss watches at these factories. JR is showing up at the hobby shops here with a competitive line of cheap servos, I've been trying them out lately. So far so good, got a pair of JR mini servos controlling a 177 mph plane right now.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use 'em and I've never had a problem. The HS50s actually have better centring, as reflected by their price, but aren't as strong. I have a pair of HS56s in my Mig 15 which can be side mounted for ailerons. The JR241 servos are real sweet, and strong and they also come in a digital version.

BTW - are Karbonite servos the right choice for a Falcon?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:58 PM
D Bronk

So the servos weak link, will probably be ME.I think @ 12.00 per servo they`ll be worth trying out .Thanks Gents..
Old 06-19-2006, 12:20 AM
scudrunner77

Dave- I don't think you will be disappointed with the HS-55. It's pretty much my "standard" servo now. I have a couple JR micros.. they seem sweet and I think the control horns from the HS-55 are interchangeable, and they have a 3yr warranty if I remember...but they were probably $10 more apiece than the Hitec ones. I have had only one HS-55 fail from flying...well actually a rough landing. The other two were my fault. I dropped a SWR on the tail and stripped the elevator servo, and while changing the engine on my contest plane at the field, I was balancing the plane on its tail and stripped the gears on that one too....[>:]
Old 06-19-2006, 08:21 AM
D Bronk

Thanks for everyones input ..I just ordered 2 servos,and should have them Friday.At the prices they are being sold at,Well,I don`t have much to lose.(DNU,Reciever,Engine,and,a couple other servos)..Been told before,sometimes, I have more Balls, than Brains..I guess this is one of those times.LOL
Old 06-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Sneasle

since we are talking about servos and such... can someone recommend some flight packs that i can use for my p-51 and DNU? about what size do i need to be looking for? and also, what do i need along the lines of a charger?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:52 PM
D Bronk

SNEASE depends on how many channels you need.From what everyone says the HS-55 should work.. I`m sort of looking at this now http://www.greathobbies.com/products...od_id=HIT25270

I should have maybe bought this flight pack(6 channels) instead of the 4 channel Futaba micro system..Does anyone have this pack, and what`s your experiance with it.I`m mainly concerned, with your opinions on the reciever..Thanks DAVE
Old 06-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Bipe Flyer

The Electron 6 is a full range, dual conversion receiver. I know people who have them in .40 size and larger planes.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Sneasle

ah, thanks guys, but i shoudl of been more specific.. i meant flight packs as in batteries.. oops.. hehe.. ya..s houdl of made that clear.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:39 AM
D Bronk

Do you think that reciever is to Heavy @ about 1/2 oz.???.Any recomendations ,For a FUTABA compatible, reciever, with 6-7 channels 1/2A suitable.??.

SNEASel.I`ve been making my own Battery packs, from new ,surplus ,Cordless phone batteries.They`re Sanyo Cells 300 mAh .It works out to, about $25.00 for 3 packs.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Bipe Flyer

Cordless phone batteries are $2 at the dollar store. You can get a 370mAh NiMH pack from Radical RC for $9 that weighs 1oz or a 160mAh NiMH pack that is .5oz.

I don't think it is too heavy, unless you're flying an .020. It comes in either Futaba/Hitec or JR/Airtronics.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:42 PM
D Bronk

I got to get out to look around these stores more often.I got those Cordless phone batteries at PRINCESS Auto @ $6.00 for a 3 cell 2/3AA pack.Now I feel ripped off[:@] cause I got to solder, and shrink wrap,and put an end on the wire...[&o]
Old 06-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Sneasle

ya, i know what you mean. i need to go by walmart and look back in their clearance area.. sometimes they have those kinda batteries back there

what do yall use to charge your batteries?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:02 PM
on pipe

Have a Graupner Ikarus (second one) with an .049 and 55's on it. Use a 555 receiver and it reminds you of a big wasp in the air. Had multiple wrecks with first plane and knocked end off of one servo, but they still work fine! Ross
Old 06-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

I haven't seen anybody mention this yet (I may have missed it) but before I reveal my recommendation I have to tell you . . .

1. I like HS-55s and have probably 8, or 10, or 12 in active models right now.
2. But mostly I have them in smallish electric models, say 12 - 18 ounces or glow jobs with .010 or .020 engines up front.
3. The regular plastic gears are a tad fragile, yes - but pull the top off the case and look at 'em. They're tiny! Whatcha expect for $10 - $12?
4. Yep, HS-56s are stronger. I used a couple to replace rudder servos that just didn't stand up to my "delicate" tail touches.

So here's what I do; for every two or three Hitec, plastic-geared servos I buy, I splurge for another $2.95 and get and extra gear set. Five minutes tops to "change gears" .

P. S. I get them mostly at <servocity.com> and they often have sales.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 PM
D Bronk

Right on guys..I didn`t expect them to be Bullet Proof ,but for $12.00, I wanted to give them a shot..I should have the 2 servos, I ordered on Thursday..Next order, I`ll get a set of gears..Going to check into that 555 receiver now
Old 06-20-2006, 09:23 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are some opinions on the GWS servos? I'll tell you, I saw this flight pack at Tower and couldn't believe the price. Receiver, three servos, 8-cell 750mah NiMH (which could be cut in two for rx packs) and an ESC for $45 53.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKKY9&P=0
Old 06-20-2006, 09:41 PM
D Bronk

I don`t know anything about GWS stuff ,But the deal looks good, if the quality is too.

I`m looking at this reciever.The Hitec site, says it comes in a flight pack option, with 3 HS-55.I`m going to have to make a phone call and see if Great Hobbies can get the Pack for me.The reciever is reported to have a 1 mile range.[X(].It also looks like another Crystal (channel 18) to wait for..Anyone given this reciever a Try??Price seems good too..

http://www.greathobbies.com/products...od_id=HIT25572
Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Wufnu
My Feedback: (2)

I use GWS servos as well as HS-55's. There are other brands but as I've never, ever, had a servo fail on me I don't see any reason at all to buy anything else. The GWS Pico +F is my servo of choice, although I'll take an HS-55 if the price is right. The reason I would pick GWS over the HS is because the HS-55's chatter. Doesn't affect performance at all so it's just mental preference.

That flight pack is $70 now, btw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.