Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
 CHECK OUT NEW 1/2A WEBSITE >

CHECK OUT NEW 1/2A WEBSITE

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

CHECK OUT NEW 1/2A WEBSITE

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CHECK OUT NEW 1/2A WEBSITE

PS can I just put in a good word for Steve Adams as a great guy? Nobody I would rather get 1/2a stuff from, and the throttles are great...
Old 06-22-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

Oh man I forgot that your Dad told me you were a FORD guy. Something about a Mustang or something you did that ended up in HotRod mag or something? So heck different strokes for different folks. Do I dare to tell you guys now that I have a 38' Ford Deluxe sitting up in NY[X(] It was the car my mom and aunt drove while in college. When they got done with it my Mom gave it back to my grandpa and bought a new off the showroom floor 65' Mustang. Grandpa took it and stuck it in the pole barn(next to the 32'Coupe, 55'Olds Conv. and 32' Lincoln[X(]) and covered the chrome with vasiline. It's 100% complete. Will carry a pile of 1/2a's one day I hope.

Later,
Tim
Old 06-22-2006, 03:30 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Yep, Tim my last Hotrod was a 66 Mustang. Spent a lot of money trying to get past those Cameros! Finally turned it into a show car. Tubbed, lowered, quite a bit of fiberglass work, all door handles removed with magnetic door openers made from Chevy starter solenoids, and several different colors with 5 gallons of clear hand rubbed! Took first at some of the car shows and it was in Hot Rod mag. That was back in the late 70's early 80's. Went through 55, 56, 65, 66 Chevys as well as 23T, 29 Model A, and about 13 65-66 Mustangs!!

Steve, Dad messed with some English Iron. I can remember XK 140 Coupe, Crosleys and such. He just sold his MGTD and before it was a XK120 drophead. So I get it honestly!!

Wonder why so many modelers are also car nuts!! Must like the abuse!!

Bob Harris
Old 06-26-2006, 03:04 PM

Ok i am a bit out of focus here. As a newbie, how did we go from 1/2A web site to old musclecars. Don't get me wrong I love old cars. I own a 1946 ford. Needs resto. I would love to learn more about these 1/2A planes. Any ideas????

Weathervane

Old 06-29-2006, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: BobHHWonder why so many modelers are also car nuts!! Must like the abuse!!
Bob Harris
We are all techno-geeks to a man. We like little, fiddly, detail specific endeavors that pique our insatiable curiosity. Get to checking around and you'll find we also like motorcycles, guns and shooting, flyfishing and flytying, home machining, motorracing, watch and clock making, model railroads and on and on. We are readers and dreamers, but we are imbued with a restless practicality that demands we get our hands dirty too with mechanical matters. Dig a bit deeper and you'll discover many poets, historians and practical philosophers in our midst. Many of us fit the profile of Robert Service' "The Men That Don't Fit In" while others from our ranks were among those that first flew at Darmstadt and Kittyhawk, experimented with rocketry prior to WW2 and sat in the control room in Houston when the Moon yielded to our advances. Our ranks are rife with dreamers, mechanics, philosophers, nut-cases and pragmatists. We are many things, but boring we aren't. There are few if any couch-potatoes in our midst and we are, to a man, the sort often termed 'interesting' by those of lesser interests. We are the sort that keeps a cocktail party from being boring if you are fortunate enough to encounter one of our ilk.
Sorry-----I musta been away too long. The Old Man at Buzzard Bluff
Old 06-29-2006, 08:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff, I had to Google the Service poem. Wow, was that written about me? The second verse made my neck hair stand up:

If they just went straight they might go far;
They are strong and brave and true;
But they're always tired of the things that are,
And they want the strange and new.
They say: "Could I find my proper groove,
What a deep mark I would make!"
So they chop and change, and each fresh move
Is only a fresh mistake.

I'd been down more roads by 30 than most people ever travel. Musician, theatre techie/set designer, cabinet maker, art historian, web developer, college teacher, curator, librarian, industrial model builder, and lots of other things along the way. I've been called distant, a dreamer, a romantic, intense, a radical, a jack-of-all-trades, a cynic and critic, a loser, different, odd, bright and passionate among others.

But, oddly enough, probably the single thing that has always held my interest and fascinated me are model airplanes. I don't think there's ever been a period in my life, whatever I was doing for a living, when I wasn't thinking about what to build next. But, unlike Service, I don't see any of it as being a mistake.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/B...rvice/men.html

Anyway, what was this thread about...
Old 06-29-2006, 08:25 PM

Right On! Oh, and most of us have learned a little computer and internet also.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:16 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Cool! Banana seat and monkey bars. But only a three speed like most of us. My friend Kevin had a five speed at the time. So slick orange Raleigh bike as I remember. Than came the ten speeds in high school.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:28 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: rainedavv Wow, was that written about me?>

Maybe you need to look up Don Blanding's "Vagabond House" as well.;o)

<I've been called distant, a dreamer, a romantic, intense, a radical, a jack-of-all-trades, a cynic and critic, a loser, different, odd, bright and passionate among others.>

Ignore them. They are the dull, dry, humorless drones with no adventure in their souls, jealous and condemnatory of those who greet each new dawn with excitement about what new understandings it might bring.

<But, oddly enough, probably the single thing that has always held my interest and fascinated me are model airplanes. I don't think there's ever been a period in my life, whatever I was doing for a living, when I wasn't thinking about what to build next.>

Like the outdoors and good literature modeling is one of the threads that has strung my life together. I may stray at times as new interests beckon, but I always come back. I'm currently in a slump, but I WILL come back.

< But, unlike Service, I don't see any of it as being a mistake.>

While Service was "one of us" he wrote for the majority, "the steady, quiet, plodding ones", who can only experience adventure vicariously------and have the disposable income to buy poetry.;o)

<Anyway, what was this thread about...>

Lemme get back to you on that.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:36 PM

----- and I could go on and on about my Lotus!
Peter
Old 06-30-2006, 08:10 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I'm afraid that only two lines in that poem could represent me.

It's the steady, quiet, plodding ones
Who win in the lifelong race.

This forum is about the only place I get to be excited and talk about one of the things I enjoy. I've got to plan everything out to the Nth degree, never spontanious. People are generally wary around me. Etc, etc. Strangely enough, kids can tell immediately what kind of person I am. They usually won't budge from my lap if their small and the slightly bigger ones are always underfoot.
We gotta wait to see if the second line fits, but according to my plan...

BTW, my project car is an 84 Porsche 944. They're one heck of a car. 'Specially with a Chevy 350. That's the next thing to do to it. Those stupid four cylinders may be powerful, but they are expen$ive to work on. Need a new suspension, too.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:59 PM

I returned from my service to our uncle in '59 and
aquired a '55 MG TF 1500 and got a lot of enjoyment
from it for a couple of years but soon tired of trying
to decipher Lucas.
Ralph
Old 07-01-2006, 06:42 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

ORIGINAL: peterburford

----- and I could go on and on about my Lotus!
Peter
What kind of Lotus? I was driving my buddy's 77 Esprit the other day...the 007 model, you know?
The same guy JUST finished rebuilding the engine on a Lamborghini Countach...fired it up for the first time yesterday. BIIIIG project. He got it for a good deal with blown head gaskets...ended up having to pull the engine TWICE. Don't ask! But it takes guts for a shadetree mechanic type to take apart a 12 cylinder Italian engine...the Countach is genuinely exotic, a real beast.
But, success! He has it running!

I have to finsish pulling the engine on my Morgan today...
Old 07-01-2006, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: mylamo

I returned from my service to our uncle in '59 and
aquired a '55 MG TF 1500 and got a lot of enjoyment
from it for a couple of years but soon tired of trying
to decipher Lucas.
Ralph
Lucas, Prince of Darkness,,oh and the other famous quote..Lucas,Its why the Brittish drink warm beer...up until 2 years ago I have always had at least one MGB, 1/2 a dozen or so..looking for a basket case MGA at the moment...but I moved up to present day fun cars with the Miata so I'm happy with it, got the rare special edition Brittish racing green with tan leather interior...Rog
Old 07-02-2006, 06:34 PM

Easytiger,

My car started life as a '69 Lotus Europa, and was rebuilt in '94 as a racing Type 62, by Banks Europa in UK.
Check their site. www.banks-europa.co.uk Mine is the red car pictured as 'first 62s in Australia'
And, as you would expect Tom, Richard Winter owner of Banks, is a lifelong aeromodeler!
I bought the car nearly a year ago. The planned three month makeover grew into a twelve month full rebuild. But then, I should have known that from rebuilding a Seven before.
I will have the Europa out for it's first event in about two months. This is one serious track car, but it's age will allow me to have it road registered too.
Good luck with the Mog.

This thread is informative. We are rare, but not unique. My father, Gordon Burford, at 87 is still a 'what if?' thinker and is one of my most enthusiastic passengers. We are all daytime dreamers.

Peter
Old 07-02-2006, 07:44 PM

You guys know nothing. Nothing! Here is the only British car ever worth owning. Ignore the tool kit, decorative purposes only.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13554.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	486020  
Old 07-02-2006, 07:52 PM

Of course, they didn't take impacts well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54926.jpg
Views:	6