Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Sterling PT 17 Stearman or Great Lakes Special 22" WS

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sterling PT 17 Stearman or Great Lakes Special 22" WS

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 04:55 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sterling PT 17 Stearman or Great Lakes Special 22" WS

ORIGINAL: Half-A-Hec

Easy Tiger,

Flat bottom airfoil huh?[:'(] I think I will redesign the wing then and shoot for a nice semi semitrical airfoil. How many ribs are we talking? Two wings twice as much work.. I do have bunch of bass wood stock and can easily subsititute the balsa stringers with it. Did the TD .020 have enough umph to fly it spiritedly? Could you loop it from level flight.? What flight gear did ya use?

I primarily am tackling this project to give me something to do on business road trips. It should keep me out of trouble in the evenings. Hotels should be a great place to build a kit. Hec they vacuum up after ya every day. Hee Hee.

Hec
Done my share of hotel building!
With the TD 02, power was enough to loop, but I don't know if I would call it spirited...all that airplane to drag around...Seriously consider electric power for yours. You can preserve the dummy engine much better, it would just end up being a better airplane. I used regular microservos...three when I used a throttle, two without, along with a GWS rx and a 50 or 110mah pack.
Not too many ribs...not such a big deal. If you do torque rods out to ailerons on the lower wing, that would be one solution.
If you really want it to be a real aerobat, then you need to pay attention to the weight. Start swapping out wood. Like the formers. You can simplify your reproduced formers by not notching them, but making them a little undersize, and putting the stringers on top.
Mine, I was just happy tooting around in circles, keeping the 02 running and having a 22" scale bipe with gas power was novelty enough, and one decent flight really put my smiles on. If I was going for true flight performance, like you are, and did not mind spending some time, like you are, I would treat the kit as a very basic jumping-off point for a more sophisticated airplane.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:06 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sterling PT 17 Stearman or Great Lakes Special 22" WS

KE Doculam Update-

I just got a ups box from the SchoolOutfitters place, I am now one of the Possesors of Lam! [sm=thumbup.gif]
...well, the knock-off stuff, but it looks sweet, clear but sweet, and dont weigh hardly nuthin

just have to get my hands on an Iron, and maybe grab some Rit for playin with the dyein... off to Wallys!