Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tomboy FF/RC

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 01:48 PM
microengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tomboy FF/RC

That's nuts. Make's my 'small' plane look like the Antonov
Old 07-10-2006, 07:21 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Gnat! Don McGovern, right?? I still have that very old RCM issue around here somewhere! What a wild ride that must've been with an original red/gold .010 wailing away on the nose.[X(]
Old 07-12-2006, 05:34 PM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD

Gnat! Don McGovern, right?? I still have that very old RCM issue around here somewhere! What a wild ride that must've been with an original red/gold .010 wailing away on the nose.[X(]
Right, as in "Drove my Chevy to the levee...) Nove "64 is the issue I think. Good thing he stayed on the levee, you if a drove over, it being a Chevy it woulda sunk... Like A Rock!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:39 PM
hfenn

OK, I got to try her out today. Hey it was only 95 degrees and there was a steady 5-10 sea breeze coming from the SE off the coast. I made a couple of bad launches which only resulted in a slight decent to landing with the engine still running. I got several good flights and figured out the right speed and angle for the hand launch. I believe with a longer, smoother runway or bigger wheels she might ROG.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65221.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	490599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46461.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	490600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50050.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	490601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37324.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	490602  
Old 07-12-2006, 06:01 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Great pics! I hope Vic Smeed gets to see them. Pics like this must make him really happy.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:53 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: hfenn

Right, as in "Drove my Chevy to the levee...) Nove "64 is the issue I think. Good thing he stayed on the levee, you if a drove over, it being a Chevy it woulda sunk... Like A Rock!
That'd be Don Mclean. The song that is.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:59 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Sheesh I'm not sure which lyric to respond to first....the Chevy "Like a Rock..." (Bob Seeger) or your (incorrect) reference to Bob McClain (American Pie) Me? I don't remember no levee. Me & them good ol' boys drank up too much whiskey & rye to remember anything!

I think McGovern also did the Berkeley Super Brigadier, Privateer, 1/2A Privateer, Navigator, etc, etc. Gawd, now you done got them old brain cells woke up and I'm wanting to build that 1/2A Privateer I lusted after a million years ago!! I read somewhere that McGovern never met a pile of a zillion balsa sticks he couldn't somehow work into a model design.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Oops, I got so wrapped up in nostalgic meanderings I plum forgot what I started to post about your great Tomboy pics. Classic design....blue skies....white puffy clouds....purty landing. It don't get no better'n that!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
hfenn

Oops, I got so wrapped up in nostalgic meanderings I plum forgot what I started to post about your great Tomboy pics. Classic design....blue skies....white puffy clouds....purty landing. It don't get no better'n that!
Thanks DB. And the plan sheet (Nov. '64 RCM) says Don McLain who I believe is the American Pie artist. Anyway, I'm going by what Fritzke told me. Sorry about the mixup on the Donnys, Bobbys, an Macs. This for the Gnat. Vic Smeed is the Tomboy designer.
Oh, and DB, at our field all the fence posts are behind us
Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

When you guys gonna learn not to doubt me. It's Don McLean

http://shop.fye.com/namepage.aspx?pi...oc=50244&sec=9
Old 07-13-2006, 07:12 AM
DICKEYBIRD

And the plan sheet (Nov. '64 RCM) says Don McLain
Oops, I'll shut up now. My memory's not been the same since my oldest daughter gave birth to #1 grandson Cade on July 4th. When you officially become a grampaw, the brain turns to mush!

Don McGovern wrote American Cobbler, right? Or was it American Ice Cream...I forget
Old 07-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice to see you back, DB (even if your brain has turned to mush). You've been so quite, I thought maybe you had gotten frustrated trying to get one of your COX's to start and had jumped in the river.

If it's like it is up here, I expect summer has come to west TN, along with beer and BBQ.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:03 AM
GrahamC

What a pretty sight.

There is a world wide Tomboy postal event that you may already be aware of

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freefligh...tal%202006.htm

Vic Smeed is still around. He had a new design published recently in Aviation Modeler International, a real cute free flight float plane powered by a Cox 020 Pee Wee.

Although for FF you could set it up, turn everything on, place transmitter on ground, start your motor and let'er go. Time until you feel you need to grab the transmitter and bring her back closer to home. Not quite within the intent of the event but I think it should be. I like the idea of FF but there isn't much in the way any fields near by to fly. RC assist or call it whatever you like can fill the gap. That's the reason I like messing about with 1/2a Texaco. But then I am probably preaching to the choir!

I have my Playboy Jr ready to go but haven't been able to make the time to get out flying.

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada

OK, I got to try her out today. Hey it was only 95 degrees and there was a steady 5-10 sea breeze coming from the SE off the coast. I made a couple of bad launches which only resulted in a slight decent to landing with the engine still running. I got several good flights and figured out the right speed and angle for the hand launch. I believe with a longer, smoother runway or bigger wheels she might ROG.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:29 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I just bought that copy of the AMI mag - the Damsel Fly. I thought I'd blow it up by about 25% and power it with a PAW 55 or MP Jet Classic and small R/C. Beautiful model. Does anyone know of a 'collected plans of Vic Smeed'? It would be quite a thick book I suspect.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:31 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: Andrew
I thought maybe you had gotten frustrated trying to get one of your COX's to start and had jumped in the river.
Nope, it's more like my fleet of Cox's has been frustrated trying to get ME started! Work, rotten wood on the ol' patio, work, lawn mowing, work, yada, yada, yada.

I flew once after the Tullahoma S.M.A.L.L. in Oct., then at the L.R. S.M.A.L.L. in June and that's it! It's the longest drought since I started flying r/c back in 1980.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:02 PM
GrahamC

ORIGINAL: johnvb-RCU

I just bought that copy of the AMI mag - the Damsel Fly. I thought I'd blow it up by about 25% and power it with a PAW 55 or MP Jet Classic and small R/C. Beautiful model. Does anyone know of a 'collected plans of Vic Smeed'? It would be quite a thick book I suspect.
That's the one. I was thinking a wee bit bigger for a PAW 80 and small RC.

Gotta love all those old time designs, Vic Smeed, George Stringwell, Walt Musicano, Goldberg, Shulman, and on and on and on. Two other favourites are the Vic Smeed Mad Cap and the Musicano (I think) Pee Wee Pal. With todays fancy copiers it is so easy to scale up or down to suit your needs or mood.

cheers, Graham
Old 11-26-2006, 09:58 PM
hfenn

Two flights on the Tomboy today for a total of 1 hr+ airtime. I had to apologize to a club member on the same freq. ! Now if I could learn to land this good with elevator control!
Old 11-27-2006, 11:30 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two flights on the Tomboy today for a total of 1 hr+ airtime. I had to apologize to a club member on the same freq. ! Now if I could learn to land this good with elevator control!
Congratulations! Must have been a pretty sight--I'd have been happy to wait.

Very funny about the landings. I used to get beautiful landings with a rudder/throttle Schoolmaster--just bring it in on a curve and then straighten it out at the end and watch the nose rotate up--prettiest landings I've ever done...20 years ago.

Lovely little plane, and the covering looks great. I'm guessing it's Airspan or Litespan, at least as it's called here. Great material for small planes like that.

Jim
Old 07-15-2023, 08:09 AM
beatsal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful! Must have spent a lot of TLC on it. Ihave a model with a DCMerlin engine which I am trying to convert to RC, not sure where to get a suitable servo. Any help appreciated.