Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

The Pee Wee Pal Remember?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

The Pee Wee Pal Remember?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:52 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Pee Wee Pal Remember?

When I was looking up some of the history of the Cox engines Dad sent me an old 1958 M.A.N. article reviewing the then new Cox Pee Wee .020. A few pages over was this little free flight model specially designed for the new .020. I have kept the article and plans for a while and finally got the time to put one together. This little bird will have rudder only control of which I am still working out the linkage. Covered in tissue and dope (I love this stuff!) Cute as a button it too should make it out to Rog's flyin next month!! Construction time was about 3 nights!! I am still holding out for a Trexler 1-1/2 wheel though!!

Bob Harris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94885.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	496050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84058.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	496051  
Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Pee Wee Pal Remember?

Nice job Bob! That one has been working it's way to the top of my stack, too. I can't wait to see it fly!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Sneasle

wow, thats a cute little thing.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:07 AM
D Bronk

Yes ,it has that " it`s so ugly ,it`s cute "thing going on..Sort of like a ,Lazy Bee Plus.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Hueydriver

Bob,

It would be quite cool if...somehow.....perhaps.....you could post plans of the model?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:27 AM
BobHH

Well, I don't know how well they will turn out seeing how I blew up the plans from the magazine but here they are. Let me know if you can use them.

Bob Harris

Name:	Fd93177.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	496161  
Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 AM
indoorff
My Feedback: (2)

Beautiful little model! I too should make one of those for my collection. Thanks for the plans.

Chris
Old 07-24-2006, 12:23 PM
D Bronk

That looks very useable ,with Bipe Flyers Tile print program ,a person can scale it to any size they need. Might be neat ,as a Cox 0.049" model..Make a whole family of them.PaPa,Mama,Babe Bee.??
Old 07-24-2006, 01:15 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There's a hi rez scan available in the free plans area of www.smallflyingarts.com . Enjoy
Old 07-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Bob, nice job! Gee, who knew that you liked them olde jobs .

I too like the look (and even the feel) of a "real" tissue and dope finish, but I can't handle the fumes anymore and working outside is not practical for me here in buggy, sweaty NC - even with plasticizer and a fan. So I have been playing with alternatives to dope; water-based polyurethane and Future floor polish. WBP sags over open areas and Future isn't fuel proof - at least in my little tests. I suspect that you use Butyrate for final coats anyway but I was wondering if you or anyone else out there in ether-land knows of a light, color-less, non-toxic, non-loosening, liquid final coat?

I have tried a sample open panel of Futured-tissue then topped with laminating film but its too heavy for our Sml Brds and looks kinda shiney anyway - but it would sure 'nough be fuel proof. Might try it on the Gramps I hope to build for your next Mid-South Old Time event next year.

Also, anyone have comments on turbulators for a SWR? I'm thinking of this as a possible solution if my stubby, thin wing, rudder/elevator Sheetface shows any snapping tendency in tight turns.

Whatcha think youse all? As always I stand by my offer of huge monetary rewards for any information provided.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Big Al-RCU

Bob, where did you balance it? Lots of these old plans don't bother showing the CG. I would guess with a lifting stab, it would be pretty far aft.
Al
Old 07-24-2006, 10:11 PM
injunnut1

You must install the windows to make this model really come alive!

Name:	Hf10302.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	496478  
Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 PM
BobHH

Well Big Al, I will start the trial balance at the spar location unless Injunnut1 can give us some more info as I see he has a beautiful Pal also. I was going to add the windows and may even paint them on later just was wanting somewhere to locate the radio and servo. I hope to use an old Digit Migit single channel radio as I can't get the linkage loose enough for a pulser system for both rudders.

Raymond funny thing in the same magazine there is a page showing someone putting a camera in an old Gramps with an Arden .19!!

I’ve had this model built for a while but was waiting to get some tissue. I was in CA. a few weeks back and had planned to go by Tony and Addie’s hobby shop for it as they had the best old time shop I have been visited in nearly 30 years. My last visit I could not stay long but Tony did give me a NIB C&S receiver for my collection which I hope to match up with a Mule tranny for some flyin!!. His shop had all sorts of oldie models from the PT-17 controline with the Morton M5 on the front to the old free flight tissue covered models. Ah the smell brought back so many memories of the old hobby shop Dad and I went to when I was just a chap!! His mom Addie was even covering a flying wing free flight while I was there!!

Unfortunately when I arrived the note on the door said he had closed as of April. A sad day in the modeling world. A peak into the window still showed many models still hanging up so I guess he has not emptied the building out yet. Just think of the treasures he will find when he does!!!

Bob Harris
Old 07-24-2006, 11:00 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Very nice models Bob and injunnut1.

That copy of the plans on the smallflyingarts site opened in Photoshop double sized I guess because of the GIF/72dpi issue. You'll need to resize the file using the scale on the plans before printing. FWIW, I made a copy the correct size, rotated the drawing and thinned the lines a bit. I can email to anyone who wants it but it's a bit over 2mb.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:03 AM
injunnut1

>Well Big Al, I will start the trial balance at the spar location unless Injunnut1 can give us some more info as I see he has a beautiful Pal also.<

Bob,
That is not my model, so sorry to say I can not help you. I believe I snatched that photo off the SAMTalk Forum. I had thought Walter noted the CG in the original magazine article, but I can not find it now?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:09 AM
BobHH

Yep, I have the complete article in the magazine and he does not mention CG. Guess I will do some good old test gliding!!

Bob Harris
Old 07-25-2006, 08:43 AM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Bob......Is this going to be another Early R/C offering?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 AM
BobHH

Well, Steve I did not draw this one up on CAD and set up a laser file seeing how the construction can get a bit irritating. If Dan wants it I guess I can work something up! I just have a few models I always wanted to build and just did not have time when I had Early RC. Right now Dan has his hands full trying to get everything going so maybe down the road!!

Bob Harris
Old 07-25-2006, 02:48 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Bob, given it's free flight contest model like looks I suspect you'll end up with the CG back around the 50 or even 60% point. Certainly starting at around 40% and doing some dive testing will soon tell you what is what.

Oops, just read the bit about rudder only. In that case probably around 30% and lots of angular decalage to ensure a nice "built in up elevator" and the usual HUGE downthrust angles.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 PM
mylamo

Bob- Alittle bit off topic but I just now completed the
maiden flight on your Willard Schoolboy in the vacant
lot down the street. Sure brought back memories,
thanks for reviving a great little airplane.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:43 AM
BobHH

Mylamo, glad to see you having fun with the little School Boy. Hope to finish up that project with the School Master soon. I am just giving Dan the new owner of Early RC some time to get caught up and settled in before hitting him up with a few more 1/2A designs!!

Bob Harris
Old 07-26-2006, 01:04 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... Didn't take you long to built your School Boy.... I only shipped it to you last week! Looks good too.
I bet it's a blast to throttle back the PAW33 and have it burp past you.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:22 PM
mylamo

Geezers have time. I really enjoyed the kit, the
wood selection could not have been better. Came in
at 10 oz. with seven coats of butyrate and tissue trim,
berg receiver and 3 HS 55's, 370 mah nimh.