Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cheapie Servos

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:46 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheapie Servos

Anyone here have experience with these Towerpro servos? 9gm, 17.5 torque, coreless motor at $7.99. Are they too good to be true?

http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r...icroServo.html
Old 07-29-2006, 09:07 PM
flyinrog

Default RE: Cheapie Servos

Havent tried them , but I know several of us use the Draganfly servos a transparent chartruse green color,,they work fine..and are $9..go to the bay and search for micro servo's they also have some "flying machines" and other toys..but I've always had good service from them..Rog
Old 07-29-2006, 09:42 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't look, but if they sell gear kits it might be worth it. My HS-55's are good pretty much forever with new gears. I haven't had a motor failure yet.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:39 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought some of the 9 gram and 5.4 gram and they have done well so far though they have not been through a race or really tough flying sessions. If you really want a good deal on them to try I could point you to where I got mine. $23.50 U.S. for 4 of the 9 gram shipped. Not to my door. but had to go to the Post Office to sign for them.

Thats how I got hooked into mine and so far no regrets. For such a price I could not refuse.

Robert
Old 07-31-2006, 01:35 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

I recently discovered how cheap micro servos can get. When I started this hobby last year, I was told that micro servos would never get cheaper than about 12USD, but.....
I just bought 4 Dynam branded ones NIB for about $6.80USD each then found the esky brand on sale for even less.
I have been told (by different flyers that have tried them) that the towerpro brand gears are a little flimsy compared to either of these brands. Specwise, the Dynam and Esky are also a little better - they weigh 8.4g but apparently put out 1.5Kg of torque.
Of the three, Esky gears are about the only ones that can be obtained locally.
I use the HS-56 on my heli and they are MUCH nicer with a proven record, but they're also about 4 times dearer.
Hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:38 AM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I have had trouble with cheepie servos. I loved the older Cirrus CS-21's because of their weight, power and cost. But they would get jittery or have feedback pot failure after a few months. I have tried a few other brands including P&C without much luck, mostly the same problem. It is now just Hitec for me.
Ben
Old 07-31-2006, 02:05 PM
rainedave

Yeah, I guess you get what you pay for. If they only last 1/3 as long as HS-55s then I suppose they really aren't any cheaper in the long run. Speaking of long lasting stuff, I still use my dad's Weller soldering gun that he bought in 1952. The two little light bulbs haven't even burned out.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:16 AM
small_rcer

I have used BlueBird 308 or similar model BlueBirds in my 049's. Ever had to fly loops over and over until you run out of fuel?? Very nerve racking. Well that is what I did when the rudder servo failed. Replaced it with another brand. Couple of weeks later the elevator servo packed in. Fortunately it had a bit of up elevator when it stopped. By flying in circles sized to match the up elevator, I was able to land this uneventfully as well. BUT NOT FUN.

Tore the servos apart. Both units the motors had failed. Tore the motors apart. Both cases the wire from the armature winding to the commutator ring had failed. The wire was stretched pretty tight on the remaining windings. Was just a matter of which wire failed first. Threw out all remaining BlueBirds. Not worth the risk.

Remember when all servos came with rubber grommets and metal eyelets to make sure they were shock mounted? And the manufacturer said it was important to use them! What do people do to mount the HS55 or HS81's in their 049 planes. The HS55s do not have a grommet or easy provision to put one in. The HS81 can use them.

I asked Hitec about the HS55 and they said they were popular with 049 flyers, but they did not address the issue of mounting in both e-mails I sent them.

Thanks

Jim H
Old 08-07-2006, 11:32 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Strange, I have been running the Dragonfly 6G and 9G as well as the Tower servos in several of my models. All have performed well with hundreds of hours on them. I have noticed a slight speed different with the 2 on my Stingray delta when you pull up quickly. Still found the speed difference in the HS55 also. I always try to shock mount all servos either with grommets of servo tape. Never direct mount or hard mount. This would ruin the best servo.

Bob Harris