Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Hyperviper

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 03:49 PM
bogateer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Hyperviper

I was thinking of getting a Cox Hyperviper to help teach my nephew how to fly...something that might be reasonably sturdy and I wouldn't shed too many tears if wrecked. I have read, however, the included surestart is marginally anemic. I was wondering if a Black Widow front end could be swapped out with the Sure Start backplate and whether this would provide a sufficient increase in power to make the endeavor worthwhile.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 07-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Cox Hyperviper

Yes you can and I did, make sure and bore the venturi out though or you will effectively choke down the new front end with the old backend. While you're in there, replace the plastic tank with a balloon tank, I used to get foamed fuel from the increased vibration. And switch to spyder wire Fusion wire, the type that is woven not monofilament to decrease drag from the white stuff.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:18 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bog,

The HV isn't really a good initial trainer. If you aready have the Black Widow get a Brodak trainer or build a decent trainer kit. The Sig Deweybird is a good one.

Just my 2 cents

Darren
Old 07-31-2006, 06:51 AM
bogateer

Thnaks guys...I appreciate your responses. On the longshot I decide to try the hyperviper witht eh Black Widow just how much do I need to drill out the backplate? I may still do it as a project. I have a Brodak Trainer sitting on the shelf just waitning to be built. I've built three all ready and have given them away as gifts....was just looking for a way to get into the air quicker with something I won't care to crash (as a trainer). Even the Broday Trainers I tend to put a lot of work into.

Thanks again,

Rob

PS What makes the Hyperviper not such a good trainer? FLies too fast?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Unscrew the Black widow tank, unscrew the Needle and press the NV seat out of the backplate. Use a drill bit to check and see what size the intake hole is. Unscrew the Product engine backplate, take the NVA out and drill the backplate so the intake is the same diameter as the BW. Put the Seat and NV back in. Screw the backplate onto engine and put it back in the plane.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:42 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brodak has the Baby Clown in ARF form.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
bogateer

Thanks for the advice,

Rob