Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Texaco Fuel tank

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Texaco Fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 04:33 PM
GrahamC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A Texaco Fuel tank

While I am still fussing over which .15 size engine to get, I thought I would take some time and finish up the fuel tank for my Playboy 1/2a Texaco. In Canada we can use diesels in this event so I am. The idea for my tank came from and thread started by IndoorFF and his Cabinette and fuel tank. I used his basic idea and used what I had on hand. Brass tube for the main body and 1/2" copper pipe end caps parted off near their ends. Engine is a PAW 80 (049) ball race with an OS 6 needle valve which I much prefer on this engine.

original thread here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_36...tm.htm#3667479

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47442.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	499270  
Old 07-31-2006, 02:11 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Texaco Fuel tank

Very cool. Is that a small reservoir in the bottom for the end of the fuel pickup tube?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:58 AM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

...and what kind of camera / lense did you use for that photo? Very good quality for such a close-in shot!

EG
Old 07-31-2006, 07:17 AM
GrahamC

Yes, bottom protrusion is a small reservoir. Actually it is a piece I machined that includes the reservoir at the bottom and a tube that extends to up near the top of tank where the engine feed tube enters that has two main feed holes near the bottom of the main tank. The idea was to create a small reservoir and a simple baffel so that when the fuel gets sloshed around when the fuel level is low in the tank there would still be some reserve; kind of like a "chicken hopper" tank that you might see on a control line racer. Initial test seem to be OK and I hope it will work out in the long term.

I like the look of IndoorFF original design on his Cabinette and just went a bit further with the idea.

In addition to being an airplane nut, I am also a camera nut. For 35mm type work I have a Pentax *istD digital and used a 50mm macro lens for this picture. I am quick picky (my own worst critic) and I thought this picture was a wee bit out of focus and not that well exposed but it gets the job done. (it was late in the day, hot and muggy and .... well that's my excuse and I am sticking to it! )

Thanks for the nice comments

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada