Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

.049 airplane

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 04:10 PM
jerusha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .049 airplane

i am looking for an easy to build easy to fly .049 powered airlane to build if anyone knows about one please tell me
Old 08-01-2006, 04:25 PM
psullivan

Default RE: .049 airplane

Kit plane right?

Price range?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:30 PM
jerusha

yes
Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 PM
psullivan

Well...Almost all planes are ranged for .049-.074. Dont get one of these! they will fly so slow its pathetic. I would go with a .20 sized plane, the only problem is, no one makes them much anymore and you would have to get one from a specialty hobby shop, theres a guy on here who sales a bunch of old .020 & .010 kits, the name ecapes me at this moment, Ill remember it in a bit. Those run about $38 for a .01-.02 because they are no longer produced kits.

Hope some of that helps.

check here, http://selecthobbies.com/index.html
Old 08-01-2006, 06:48 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Specifically what type of plane are you looking for? Trainer? Sport? Scale? Bi-plane? Pattern? Pylon?

Are you looking for a kit, or plans to scratch build from?

If your looking for an .049 to .15 powered plane, there's no lack of planes this group can (and will) come up with.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:13 PM
jerusha

mostly a trainer but i would like it to be able to do acrobatics but nothing extreme
Old 08-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

ORIGINAL: psullivan

Well...Almost all planes are ranged for .049-.074. Dont get one of these! they will fly so slow its pathetic.

Oh man you have so much to learn my friend. You need to stick around and see what some of our .049's can do. You must be a real jet jock or something to call 60-120mph SLOW Dig up some of the videos of Ulmer RC's Blink Delta with a lowly Cox reed valve or some of Combatpigs SWR's screaming at over 100mph.....

LAter,
Tim
Old 08-01-2006, 07:33 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

I've wondered what kind of trainer the DNU would make with an extra rib bay on each side and some dihedral. Then build a stock wing when it's time to move up.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:50 PM
SGC

" I've wondered what kind of trainer the DNU would make with an extra rib bay on each side and some dihedral. Then build a stock wing when it's time to move up "

raindave, my thoughts excactly, maybe even 2 extra bays per side to slow it down some, the extra cost of materials for a second wing is minamal on 1/2A sized planes that this concept allmost seems mandatory.
Stewart
Old 08-01-2006, 08:53 PM
D Bronk

HMmmm,,Maybe a removeable extension,on the original wing, held on with 2 sided tape.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:24 PM
rainedave

I'd use some of those tiny, thin super magnets that are being sold as wing hold-downs. The outer panels could have 1" x 1/2" plywood tongues with magnets flush mounted in them. Another pair of maget could be glued into the sides of the sockets in the main wings. Slide the outer panel tongues into the main wing sockets and the magnets would hold things in place. Or then again, maybe just build two wings.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:30 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

If building from plans is what you want, it sounds like Bipe Flyer's trainer would suit. If can be found in a "sticky" thread at the top of the forum. If you want easy building and easy flying kits, the Herr kits come highly recommended.

Guys, a properly built, lightweight DNU isn't going to slow down alot with the extra bay. Adding dihedral, the extra bay, some weight and a bigger prop would slow it down. The other option is to use Black Baron covering on the firewall. It will come loose and choke your surestart down to the point that you can count the rpms on your fingers.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 08-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

Well...Almost all planes are ranged for .049-.074. Dont get one of these! they will fly so slow its pathetic.

Oh man you have so much to learn my friend. You need to stick around and see what some of our .049's can do. You must be a real jet jock or something to call 60-120mph SLOW Dig up some of the videos of Ulmer RC's Blink Delta with a lowly Cox reed valve or some of Combatpigs SWR's screaming at over 100mph.....
I certainly second that! Some of the SWR's and the Blink are wicked fast and are not for the faint of heart (or slow of thumb).

The DNU with some of the modifications the guys here have suggested would work well. You might also check the 1/2A trainer sticky thread at the top of this forum for the LST.

The ACE Simple series, ACE Whizard, ACE Alpha and NORVEL Tutor offer good trainer kits. HERR (distributed by SIG) has the Star Cruiser and J-3 Cub. There is also the Lanier Indicator.

I'm sure this group can come up with more for you.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The Walmart foamie gliders fly like trainers, but they take a little bit of work to convert to RC. If you are handy at rigging stuff on your own, these planes will get you going in a cheap but ugly kind of way I learned on rudder / elevator planes that had lots of dihedral in the wing . I think about 48 inches of span and a model that weighs about a pound [RTF] is just right for a 1/2A trainer. If you can get your hands on a 6 foot span glider, a .061engine with a 6x2 prop will make a very easy to fly bird also.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:49 PM
psullivan

When I said that planes would fly slow with .049 I was talking about MOST kits ie House of Balsa and such. There p-51 says .049-.074, theres no way that thing would evan fly with a 049....Jr. Falcon, .049-.074, theres no way that thing would fly with a .049... sure if you have a Blink or somthing made for that power....get what I mean?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:05 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

When I said that planes would fly slow with .049 I was talking about MOST kits ie House of Balsa and such. There p-51 says .049-.074, theres no way that thing would evan fly with a 049....Jr. Falcon, .049-.074, theres no way that thing would fly with a .049... sure if you have a Blink or somthing made for that power....get what I mean?
Sorry P but other than perhaps the HoB stuff you obviously have no idea of what makes a good 1/2A model. Sure they won't rocket out from a climb and pull never ending verticals but they can be super sporty if you climb for altitude and then put on a bit of a dive and then use that energy to do various maneuvers. Once up to speed the 049's are quite capable of keeping them on the boil and only when you pull up the nose will they go back to casual flying. The Jr Falcon is one such model. If that's not good enough then I guess you need that Nelson .40. Perhaps your own experiences have been less than successful but if so I'd suggest that overweight models were the issue. Kept down to weight the 049's are quite capable.

Jerusha, it sounds like you're looking for a trainer. I'd suggest a Hobby Lobby Mini Telemaster if you must have a kit. Or the LST detailed at the top of this forum if you can go for a simple scratch build. With a Black Widow, Sure STart or Norvel on it the model will train you fine with reduced throws. When you get a bit more skilled set up the pushrods for more throw and you can do rudder rolls and loops from a short dive to build speed up. With the rudder roll and looping down pat you can then do normal and reverse immelmans, figure 8's, chandelles and a host of other stuff. If you use a balloon tank you can even have a go at inverted but you'll need to be constantly on the rudder to keep it there since it'll want to flip back upright.

And for your first training flights I'd suggest a 7x3 prop on it to help slow it down. This will also slow down the climb but the idea is to let it fly in LARGE almost free flight circles until it's about 200 feet overhead and only then start playing with it so you have two mistakes to play with. Make one and then let it correct and climb back up to two mistakes high and then go back to playing. For this climbing turn just set it up with the trim controls and leave the sticks alone.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:07 PM
rainedave

Do you mean Jr. Falcon as in the classic Goldberg Jr. Falcon? They can fly on an .020.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:16 PM
psullivan

Heres what I dont understand then, Why would you rather fly a plane way underpowerd at full throttle going 20 miles an hour and call it "relaxing" and all that stuff,

IF a .15 can idle at 3k the why the heck cant I just put around at 5k and also have power on top to do loops and such like that. Understand what I'm geting at? Here more is better as I can go just as slow as I want to. the I can kick up the throttle and take off!

I had to add 2 oz to the nose to balance out my mini stick, why not take he weight out and and a big engine that can pull it self around better than 2 fishing weights can.

I just want to know what I'm doing wrong that every one is eatin me up tonight.

"Do you mean Jr. Falcon as in the classic Goldberg Jr. Falcon? They can fly on an .020."

Flying a Falcon with a .02 would be the equivalent of going goose hunting with a .410, sure it can be done, but why I ask, WHY?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 PM
jerusha

thank you guys so much just for the record i am not training myself on this plane i am training my brother and dad thanik you guys so much you have been more than helpful
Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 PM
KidEpoxy

making a TrainerWing for the DNU with enough drag to slow it down shouldnt be that hard.
Fatten the foil till the thing is an elevator, then inc it down to get level flight. A suitable foil could be done up by one of the DraftPros here, just a bonus bay or 2 and some dihedral with a 35%(?) thickness wing will slow it down.

Or drag an empty beer can on a string behind the plane
Old 08-01-2006, 11:54 PM
rainedave

Well, I didn't say I have. I just meant it's been done.

It's all a matter of what one finds interesting and enjoyable. I spent years involved in free flight and r/c assist where people fly 84" planes on .35s all the time. I can explain where I'm coming from. I'm fascinated by aerodynamics: airfoils and all that stuff that makes flight possible. With free flight and r/c assist you only run the engine for a matter of seconds. The engine is shut off and the airplane itself takes over. Whether it stays up or drops like a rock is solely a matter of its design and how well it's built. This is called "flying on the wing." It requires very little if any engine thrust to accomplish this. Lift is generated by the airfoil(s). However, there is another method of keeping an object "airborn" and that's called flying on the prop. Here, "lift" if you can call it that is caused by engine thrust and prop wash on the control surfaces. No airfoil is necessary. That's why profile foamies can fly. Personally I think flying a Jr. Falcon on an .020 would be awesome. It would require excellent building skills and utmost attention to material weights. It would be a truly rewarding challenge (for people like me). Again, I come from a free flight background where the object is to keep a model in the air for two minutes on less than ten seconds of engine run. Two minutes doesn't sound like much but I challenge anyone to try and do it. I quit by saying that you should do what you find enjoyable.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 AM
D Bronk

I know we`re talking an .049 aircraft for the main topic.The Dnu is capable of flying on, a little Cox 0.049" engine ..What got me intrested Dnu ,was, seeing JOE`s plane flying with that engine,It Rocked..Mine saw a bit of damage, the Other day.It`s running the Norvel 0.061".She Went faster than I expected ,and ,I was really not ready, for it ..I made more mistakes than I care to mention..What I want to try, the next time I take it up ,is ,the Flaperons..I put Dual servos in the wing..Rain is talking about aerodynamics .I think useing flaperons,and maybe a bit ,of other program mixing ,I can slow that plane down,till, I can get the feel of the plane..I`m very out of practice.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:12 AM
flyinrog

Heres what I dont understand then, Why would you rather fly a plane way underpowerd at full throttle going 20 miles an hour and call it "relaxing" and all that stuff,

IF a .15 can idle at 3k the why the heck cant I just put around at 5k and also have power on top to do loops and such like that. Understand what I'm geting at? Here more is better as I can go just as slow as I want to. the I can kick up the throttle and take off!

I had to add 2 oz to the nose to balance out my mini stick, why not take he weight out and and a big engine that can pull it self around better than 2 fishing weights can.

I just want to know what I'm doing wrong that every one is eatin me up tonight.

"Do you mean Jr. Falcon as in the classic Goldberg Jr. Falcon? They can fly on an .020."

Flying a Falcon with a .02 would be the equivalent of going goose hunting with a .410, sure it can be done, but why I ask, WHY?
Nobody eatin you up, you just touched a nerve is all...If you go over to the Beginner forums and jump on a thread and say ".40's suck"...your gonna get a few negative responses, you dig?..See we have pylon races where only .049 reed engines are allowed, it is a challenge to build an 8 to 12 oz (read 50% weight increase in that slight span) racer ...do 5 laps on an 8cc tank and have fuel leftover for a few more laps!!..and in this instance its a friendly thing (many of us have met in person) to boot so you kinda stepped on a bunch of toes...on the other hand lots of us put an .074 on a .049 (read %50 more power) plane for the very same reasons you said ,,you can alway use more power when you need it....or throttle down and float around...Rog
Old 08-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

....Jr. Falcon, .049-.074, theres no way that thing would fly with a .049
Dude you are so WRONG AGAIN! I have seen a Jr Falcon fly very very nice on a .049. Again if rolling circles are boring to you then I guess all 1/2a stuff must be boring to you. I'm going to guess that you have not flown anything with a Norvel .049-.074 on it. Would you believe that they have THROTTLES these days ...WOW!

Later,
Tim
Old 08-02-2006, 07:28 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I might be putting words in his mouth, but I think Psul meant the commercial offerings are overbuilt and overweight to perform well with an .049. I've got to wholeheartedly agree with that! You don't see any airplanes meant to fly .40 through .75 engines, yet we're supposed to accept that a kit made to handle an .049 to .10 will be well designed for the .049. It doesn't work that way. That's why so many of us are tinkerer's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.