Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Real Killer Bee wanted/Performance

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Real Killer Bee wanted/Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 PM
bogateer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Killer Bee wanted/Performance

I realize this is a longshot but thought I'd give it a try...anybody know where I might be able to get a "real" Killer Bee (as opposed to the new ones that are in name only. Been watching eBay but with no luck. Anyone have a stash they might be willing to part with one?

Along those same lines can similar performance be obtained using a Black Widow cylinder on a Surestart or [new] Killer Bee backplate after drilling out the backplate venturi?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 08-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: Real Killer Bee wanted/Performance

Rob,

The "new" KB's are not so far from the real deals. They still have the correct cylinders o that's a good thing. Just wish they have the good crank. So just drill out the backplate, cut down the needle and push on a piece of GoldnRod add a Galbreath Head and Nelson plug and call it a day. Or......switch out the crankcase with any new anodized one, polish up the crank a bit to loosen it up some. Grind the inside of the piston with a lathe/drill and Dremel tool to lighten it up and let it scream! Or....take a new Sure Start add the Galbreath/Nelson setup, shorten the piston shirt so it runs sub piston induction, take off the choke tube and drill the intake just a little to get rid of some of that square reinforcement at the NVA and have yourself a strong runner too.

Later,
Tim
Old 08-04-2006, 01:37 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I picked up some Killer Bees from a swap meet once. Red/Black box, so they seemed to be "new style". Those were the best Cox engines I've had. Sent one to CP and it came back turning a 4.2x4 APC up over 30k! Straight out the box it was a screamer, though. The only real problem is the ball socket has to be reset a LOT! Probably every five runs.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:58 PM
dieFluggeister

A while back I did a mod of a Surestart to try to copy the build and performance of a KB. Ended up getting getting a little over 23K rpm with a APC 4.2x4. Like Tim said it takes some modding but an afternoon should do it. You can get a copy of the KB's special old style crank here.
http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com

Otherwise just keep watching the Bay... They come up from time to time at $40-60 range.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

DF,

Is the DD crank your thinking about the "killer crank". If so I don't think they are really the same. At least the Killer crank I have has no counter balance and no cutouts on the sides of the crankpin.

Later,
Tim
Old 08-04-2006, 03:07 PM
bogateer

Thanks for your help, guys

Rob
Old 08-04-2006, 05:01 PM
D Bronk

Anyone have a pic of a "REAL Killer BEE",also of a Black widow..Maybe a couple shots showing the Diff. in Cranks, piston,,cylinder ETC.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:02 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be great. To be able to identify the differences.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:11 PM
dieFluggeister

My memory dictated that the 'killer crank' had a counterbalance so I went back to my pictures but, alas, it does not. Here's the KB, "killer crank' and stock Sure Start left to right. They say the memory is the first to go.... Thanks for pointing that out Tim- I'd hate to be accused of being full of BS. Mine does have the cutouts though. Strange.

I notice too that the KB crankpin is also drilled out (lightened?) whereas the 'killer' is not. I'm told that the killer is also hardened, but I'm not sure about the original KB crank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79386.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	501712  
Old 08-04-2006, 05:36 PM
dieFluggeister

Couple other pics showing differences in the intakes, and the reed sides of the backplates. KB, Modified, Stock The intake in the KB is a little larger and tapered, whereas the SS is squared and has a screen.

Name:	Zx72576.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	501717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36887.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	501718  
Old 08-04-2006, 06:11 PM
D Bronk

Thankyou..I thought the Killer Bees always had the "open exhaust ports" and not the slit type;Was there Changes along the way??Have you got pics of the Needles.I`ve got an old production engine with a very blunt needle,Red back plate...My crank is different from all the pictures posted too.I was under the impression, its a WIDOW,but not certain.Very different from a New, Babe BEE..I find that sorting out these engines,as to what they are, can be a bit frustrating.Even with that one nice site ,Aerotools or something like that..
Old 08-04-2006, 06:32 PM
rainedave

The pics are helpful. I was just comparing various pistons I have (my Cox engine collection is a jumble; except for SS's and a Texaco they are all hybrids). A couple of my pistons have very thin walls compared to the others. I'll try to post some pics later. I have no idea what they originally came in.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:59 PM
D Bronk

So Rain ,You put the engines together, Just like Cox Does ,If it fits ,it`s right.I would say the engines you have ,are ALL, Spec.engines then..As long as it runs ,you can call it a ,,,
WANNA-BEE...LOL
Old 08-04-2006, 07:39 PM
rainedave

Or a Try t'Bee. I have always just mixed and matched reedy parts, tached them and kept the good combos together.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:31 PM
lukesp

Aren't the Killer Bee, Sure Start and Black Widow cylinders all the same, two induction ports with a little boost port to the side of each ?

Yes/no?

Luke.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:38 PM
lukesp

BTW, this might interest some of you. Has anyone tried these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-COMPRESSION-0...QQcmdZViewItem

He wants US $4.50 apiece using the Buy It Now plan. Cheaper than the low compression Cox offering.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:51 PM
flyinrog

I ordered 1/2 a dozen of them a couple of years ago still have a few I think, they are the same as the cox heads as far as I can tell....but I got a letter from them later saying to order more then as they were on the last batch and selling them to previous customers...may have been a sales ploy....Rog
Old 08-04-2006, 09:05 PM
D Bronk

SO ,they`re Good then??Better to have, A, Try-T`Bee,than a, USED-2-BEE..Those ones ,are no better, than a, BEE-Lated..
Old 08-04-2006, 09:16 PM
rainedave

It's always good to know of another source, thanks for the link lukesp.

I tried to take pics of the piston I was talking about. It's next to a SS piston. You can see that it's thinner. The top is different, too.

Name:	Wu60171.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	501828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21650.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	501829  
Old 08-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

luke,

The KB and SS do have the same bypass porting. Most likely the current BW is *******ised(sp) and are sold with the SS cylinder. They all have the 4 slit exhaust ports with the KB having it's bottom two being taller for SPI.

D,

The KB NEVER had the "open" TD/good BW exhaust ports.

The REAL .049 KB had a red backplate with the nyrod piece on the needle the .051 KB was a black backplack as far as I remember. Just note that not all red or black backplates are KB's. Also note that some of the older product engines had fine thread NVA's. This would make them great for someone wanting to run pressure on a reedie. These backplates with the fine thread NVA's are red and the needle itself are brass and without a plastic knob on the end ...just FYI!

LAter,
Tim
Old 08-04-2006, 10:23 PM
D Bronk

The Engine I`ve got, has the super fine thread on the all Brass needle, blunt tipped, and very large,compared to a new style BABE BEE.it never had a nob on it nor was there any spring or Ny-rod. The piston In Rains picture, with, what looks like Rings (sguish band?) on the crown is what this engine has I know the parts are factory assembled(had it since new). The Cylinder has, only 1 big ,Honking Large transfer port,no Slits,and it has SPI..the Crank is definately different, from what DF posted as KB,and not like the New S.Starts..What do you think??
Old 08-04-2006, 10:40 PM
treedog

Ok i know u all will kill me but i just found these cool looking babies do with them as u will but u owe me for at least surfing the net for u he he
http://www.airfield2000.com/engines.html
john reece
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

treedog,

Yup those are the current ******* Cox engines[] Notice the Babe Bee with the black PLASTIC 8cc(Black Widow) size fuel tank...stupid idiots[:@] Sad thing is that you will find current Black Widows that look just like it ....double[:@][:@]

D,

As for your engine it is not a Killer Bee. They did not come with the fine thread NVA or normal #1 style cylinder. Sounds like an old product engine from back in the day. What does your crank look like...I mean the engines crank[X(]

LAter,
Tim
Old 08-04-2006, 10:54 PM
treedog

so i bought the wrong 1's again arrrg will i never learn
john boo hooo hoo waaaaahhhh well i'll baby them then
Old 08-04-2006, 11:01 PM
rainedave

That place does list the 5cc red metal (Texaco Jr.) tanks for $6.98.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.