Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Uncontrol guys

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Uncontrol guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:26 PM
peter_gibbons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A Uncontrol guys

Thank god!!! there are more "crazies" out there like me that love 1/2A stuff... I gave up on 40-60 size stuff along time ago for park flyers. Since I started flying models in 82 my heart has always been with the small stuff. So, anyway

Anyone out there that ucontrol's or 1/2a's around flint, highland, white lake, fenton?

My oldest son is now ready to start flying his cox pt 19, and I was looking to hook up with some folks...

Thanks

Old 08-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Uncontrol guys

Don't forget to post this on the CL portion of this forum. I don't know whos near you, but they at least all fly CL.

I do, but I'm nowhere near you.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:53 PM
peter_gibbons

Hmmmm... for some reason I couldnt find the control line section... I'll have to look... However it doesn't really help that I spelled the title of this thread "Uncontrol" instead of "U-Control". To think, I haven't even broken into the beer yet

Go figure !!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

1/2A C/L is a lot of fun!! I can think of a few guys around here who need to be "indoctrinated".
Old 08-07-2006, 07:38 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I have a few hanging on the wall. I think Fireman also has a Baby Ringmaster. May even show up at the next 1/2A flyin with one to see who can fly in a circle!!

Bob Harris
Old 08-07-2006, 08:06 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Hey I bet I qualify for that "uncontrolled" flying....bring it Bob ,could be entertaining...Rog
Old 08-07-2006, 08:22 PM
rainedave

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
...to need who be...
[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 08-07-2006, 09:45 PM
rainedave

I've always wanted to give c/l a try. I know it's a lot harder than it looks. I failed repeatedly as a kid whenever I tried. I hope you bring one Bob.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:48 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not crazy[:-]!
I just get a little weird when I get hungry.

So, where in MI are you located? I grew up in South Lyon.

Should I bring 41.5's Cox PT-19 for one of you not sane people to give him a demonstration?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Wow. Talk about Deja Vu!

)That's the name of an old man who lives on to top of a mountain and smokes funny weed and mumbles in his beard. But enough about him. You've reminded me of one of my favorite modelling experiences.(

Years ago I used to do kids modelling sessions for the local parks department. In the winter it was small rubber FF and HLGs. In the summer we'd build AMAzers and learn to fly one at a time, then race two then three up, finally they'd do a little combat. In addition to building the models, which was super simple but took a couple sessions to let the glue dry (I told you it was years ago), they also had to start them and fiddle with the needle valves. THAT ate up some hours too. So by the time they were ready to fly, they were READY to fly.

First flight or two would be with me or a clubmate in the circle with the pilot but it never took long before they caught on. By the time the "class" was winding down the kids pretty much ignored me and my buddy - we were just there for fuel and "fire" (and glue and props). Our target age was 10 - 12 years but some of my "favorites" were two eight year-old friends who could have set the standard for enthusiasm, cooperation, politeness, and the joy of sharing. They did the winter class too. They were truly kindred spirits - I hope they are still friends.

I thought that might bring back some happy memories to some of youse olde roundy, rounders.

P.S. did you read Andrew's article about working with kids in Fly R/C? I think he must have hired some handsome guy to pose for the photos (in an RCUniverse shirt no less). I didn't think that was 'legal'.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Yep, Raymond it does bring back memories. I learned to fly on an old Goldberg Stuntman 23 with a Pee Wee .020 around the age of 6. I can still remember Dad building it from the 4 piece wings to the smell of the white dope finish. A few attempts were tried at but no complete flights were made on the first time out in the back yard. Dad did show us how to crank and adjust the little .020 jewel so we were at it after school. It seemed just a few tries the next day everything clicked and we were flying full tanks out every flight!

Unfortunately Dad did not get home until after dark from work but we were so excited to show off our new skills he just had to see us fly. With the dim lights of the basement doors I could see Dad crank and hand launch the Stuntman. I can vividly remember not being able to see the model much but focused on the little red glow coming from the cylinder that night and making sure it was level the complete circle. HA! And they say they just started night flying a few years back!!!!

Bob Harris
Old 08-08-2006, 01:27 PM
peter_gibbons

Hey there Vicman, I'm in WhiteLake/Hartland right at 59 and Fenton Road.... My in-laws are in South Lyon right off of Pontiac Trail. I know quite a few folks out there, problem is, the taxes are so high it kind of prevents anyone new from moving there...

When I started this whole model thing years ago, I was gifted a new Cox P51B. The guy down the road from me then, super pro Ucontrol guy, took pity on me when he saw it. He gave me a Babe Bee and a wood Ucontrol trainer. I feel bad for the Guy now, because thinking back when i was 7, I pestered him relentlessly with thousands upon thousands of questions about everything, for years after... He just would answer my questions with a smile. What a great guy.. I wonder if he is still around
Old 08-08-2006, 01:32 PM
peter_gibbons

It just dawned on me that most of you guys are in NC.. My job requires many hours of sitting around different places down there. Actually, I was Raliegh two weeks ago, A little town called Murphy a couple days after that, and I think I was in Greensboro last week... I soooooooo want to move down there. Anyone got any job leads down there?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:50 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

[quote]ORIGINAL: peter_gibbons

Anyone out there that ucontrol's or 1/2a's around flint, highland, white lake, fenton?

I'm in Mt Morris, and belong to the Chesaning club. Several of us fly 1/2a R/C, and the club field has a C/L area. P/M me if you want details...

Old 08-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1/2A Uncontrol . . . .happens when the CG is to far back!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:14 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone got any job leads down there?
I will pm you with my phone #. Give me a call a few days in advance. If you end up in GSO at the same time as I do we could hook up with Dave. I will also give you a heads up next time I go visit my parents. The taxes there are killer.

Regarding jobs. I think Raymond needs a little help getting his shop ready to build in again. (I am always there for ya pappy)
You may consider attending ROG's world famous reedie race the last week of September. This will be the RRIII, the previous events have been the most fun I have had with my clothes on for quite some time. We always welcome some international flavor, the last event hosted DieFlugiester from Minnesota. If we could talk CP to coming out the whole RCU family would be rewarded.