Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Blink

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:35 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blink

WOW.. thanks PTUlmer for these plans! The plane built very quick, and seems to be very rugged I test flew mine the other day and apparently I balanced it wrong. It was like flying a bucking bronco. That thing would fly smooth.. then all of a sudden jump straight down.. I'd feed in up elevator and it'd shoot straight up. I was laughing pretty hard by then.

The 1st flight lasted about 30 seconds before it had a rather abrupt landing. No damage! I thought the controls were too touchy..so I tamed them down a bit. Next flight was about 1 min and 30 seconds long... and it cartwheeled on another unexpected meeting with terra firma. Added some lead to the nose by the tank, and flew it again. That flight must have been tail heavy still, but it managed to do what I described earlier through an entire tank of gas... Was hoping it'd die out sooner but for once I had a TeeDee .074 running well..lol

Look forward to adding more lead and move some stuff around to see if it'll fly better for me next time..lol
Old 08-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

Default RE: Blink

Deck,

Great to hear of another Blink being built and flown. I have had mine 95%built and covered now for 6 months[X(] I guess I really need to hurry and finish it.

....surely you must have meant TeeDee .049/.051 and not .074.

Later,
Tim
Old 08-14-2006, 03:29 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

deckerv, glad to hear of your build! I hope you get the problems worked out. Some pictures would be nice, too.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:07 PM
deckerv

HEHE.. I'll post some pics of the next one This one's ugly! LOL I did it in one evening out of spare balsa.. so the next one I'll take my time covering nicely and post some pics

Oh.. you're right.. TeeDee .051 ...oops
Old 08-14-2006, 07:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

On a plane this small, attention to detail is ever more critical. the faster you go the less elevon travel you will want, but it is fun to have a ridiculous amount dialed on high rate, for high rpm rolls. There is very little margin for the CG range, once you find it, the plane is very controllable and will glide half way decently.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:26 PM
deckerv

lol.. how true!! Anyway.. here's a pic of my ugly duckling... going to build another one next week and take my time. I just wanted to see if my engine ran (brand new.. about 10 years ago..lol) and figured what better way than in a plane!! Another pic is next to my Whiplash at the field this past weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70932.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	507860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80694.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	507861  
Old 08-15-2006, 05:55 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Get rid of that nasty white prop, drop an APC 4.2x4 or 4.5x4 on there and you might be faster than the Whiplash. Deltas will fly more nose-heavy than a conventional wing, so go forward as much as you want. BTW, if that's your "quick & dirty" work, I can't wait to see one you took your time on!
Old 08-15-2006, 08:14 PM
deckerv

lol.. thanks my friend

Yeah... I just grabbed the only small prop I had for now...lol. Most of my props are 14" and above...lol. Been a good many years since I ran anything smaller than a .90