Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox Engine Supplies

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Engine Supplies

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cox Engine Supplies

I went on the Cox website last night and found the only engines they have offered are the Sure Start and new version of the Baby Bee. Other than some parts, that was it. Looks like they are working really hard on dropping the engine line all together. I made sure to get 10 Sure Starts since they are cheaper than individual glow heads for my Black Widow. Better get 'em while they're there - I have a feeling the supply won't last that much longer.

Hogflyer
Old 08-17-2006, 11:17 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Cox Engine Supplies

Yup, Seems the good 'ole days are gone forever when it comes to getting engines and parts from Cox. I couldn't find a TD carb body there. Virginia Hobby has a lot in stock and a few other shops too. Of course still plenty on Ebay if you want to pay inflated prices.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:51 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered some tools awhile back and although they show "in stock", they didn't send them. I think at this point, unless someone finds more parts, it's down to heads and Surestarts.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 PM
hollerp89

i need a throttle for a cox. 09 medallion thats fits on the engine.
thank you .
Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 PM
lukesp

I ordered some tools awhile back and although they show "in stock", they didn't send them

I had the same thing happen with an order of Cox props. In stock, place order, no shipment. I contacted sales and they had no record of the order. The site is still very bug-gy and Armonda from Cox sales set things right for me and sent the props. Same story with a bunch of SureStarts, placed the order via the website and no show. Once again I emailed them and they had no record from the website. Once again they sent them when I told them about it. They really need to fix the website or whatever is going on.

Luke.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:52 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amonda IS the Lady to deal with at Cox.... She has it together. Be nice to her, If you have a problem, please remember .. It's not her fault.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:54 AM
hollerp89

look all i need is some help . if you dont want to thats ok !!!!!!! to .
but go a head an slame me. I need a throttle for a cox medallion.09,from 1988 if you know anybody at all let me know ,?.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:48 AM
hogflyer

hollerp89,

Throttle sleeves for the .09 are not the most common component you'll find. Glow heads are even harder and quite expensive if you can find one. My best guess is to try e-bay unless somebody knows of a hobby shop that may stock the parts. That's why my Cox Medallion .09 w/throttle sleeve is now retired in the cabinet. Your best bet is to find a different engine to run unless you already have a supply of glow heads. That is also why I ordered 10 sure starts. They are cheaper than individual glow heads for the .049, and I can e-bay the engines a couple of years in the future and recoup most if not all of my cost (with burned out glow heads). When those glow heads are burned out then it'll be time to retire the rest of the cox product line and look at alternate power sources.

Hogflyer
Old 08-18-2006, 07:59 AM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: hollerp89

look all i need is some help . if you dont want to thats ok !!!!!!! to .
but go a head an slame me. I need a throttle for a cox medallion.09,from 1988 if you know anybody at all let me know ,?.
Someone should point out that this is a discussion forum, not a trading post. That's why you didn't get any fast responses. I'm assuming that you meant to say" but go ahead and slam me". Not sure why you even said that. You weren't being "slammed", you just have to wait until someone responds to your post or PM's you. It could take days or never happen.

Luke, the order before that one, I had ordered seven surestarts. I got one! At that rate, it costs me $15 for one SS. They wouldn't fix the order, but offered to let me place another.[:'(]

Skaliwag, thanks for a name! I'll probably never place another Cox order, but if I do, she'll be the one I talk to.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why not have somebody bore and tap a glow head for a conventional glow plug?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 AM
flyinrog

SP many have tried,, none have succeeded except the Galbreath head with the Nelson plug, (that may be backwards)...other than that every other attempt makes for lower rpms ,that I know of..the compression area is so small that a normal glow plug looses compression in the hollow area around the glow element...look up kitting it together to see this set up..Rog
Old 08-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

If the compression is low, then up the nitro!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:16 AM
lukesp

If only it were that simple.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:19 AM
lukesp

Luke, the order before that one, I had ordered seven surestarts. I got one!
Ah yes, I remember you mentioning that before. Not a nice experience.

Skaliwag is 100% correct, Amonda is a very nice, very helpful woman. She has bailed me out of trouble twice, is a pleasure to deal with and helpful with spares when you can't remember part numbers.

Luke.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:51 AM
ptulmer

Sport Pilot, the compression is simply too low at that point. The regular plug might be useful, but it seals above the threads, adding even more to the volume. So, if you make a head that will increase the compression with that plug, the chamber is shaped wrong. Basically, the combustion chamber would consist of the threaded area and the hole inside the plug! A little experimenting might net a head that would work well with a standard plug, but it would be quite a job. Definitely more work than drilling and tapping a regular glow head.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:00 AM
KidEpoxy

I wonder if the standard plug could have the center area lessened with some kind of filler (JB or whatnot) a bit, to up the compression...

OOps, not really on topic... Nevermind. Maybe I'll go post it in the turbohead or reedie faq or somethin
Old 08-18-2006, 10:08 AM
ptulmer

Kid, didn't you see my recent thread on making a TD head from a Surestart head? You need a lathe for that, but it does seem to work. I need to post some numbers.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

I wonder if the standard plug could have the center area lessened with some kind of filler (JB or whatnot) a bit, to up the compression...

OOps, not really on topic... Nevermind. Maybe I'll go post it in the turbohead or reedie faq or somethin
Someone milled down a standard plug and is checking it out. Check the threads.

Any plug/conversion that will fit the 1/2A Norvel, AP, and VA should work with Cox engines. Anyone buying Sure Starts just for the plugs is wasting money. Nelson plugs are better and are half the cost (not including adapter) of a Sure Start.

George
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM
dieFluggeister

This may sound trivial but I'm beating the bushes for spinners and prop screws.

What is the thread size of the prop screw?

Seems a Norvel .061 spinner will work but does anyone know of other substitutions?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:32 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I THINK the prop screw is 5-40.

George
Old 08-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gcb

George
George is correct.

Length without a spinner will be 5/8".

Get 1" to work with a spinner. Partially threaded is better -- if you buy 1" screws, you can always cut them to needed length. I prefer socket head cap screws over Phillips or standard blade.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:40 PM
lukesp

Yep, and they are as common as dirt over here. For some reason they are called "number 4 thread" in my local hardware.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:49 PM
hogflyer

[quote]ORIGINAL:

ORIGINAL: gcb

Any plug/conversion that will fit the 1/2A Norvel, AP, and VA should work with Cox engines. Anyone buying Sure Starts just for the plugs is wasting money. Nelson plugs are better and are half the cost (not including adapter) of a Sure Start.

George

Actually, its not a waste of money at all. After I use up the glow heads I'll still have a lot engines left I do decide to get an aftermarket head assembly. If I figure $4.00 each for the glow heads, I'm sure I'll be able to auction the engines off for at least $3.00, if not more especially if they are no longer in production and parts are not available from Cox, if I do go and auction them. Besides, the Sure Start runs just fine on the stock glow head.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:26 AM
hollerp89

how did this get on glow heads . iii need a throttle for a cox .09 medallion engine not a plug .
but thanks a lot any way . i was hopping somone would help me find throttle for my engine.
but i guess not . so thanks again . bob
Old 08-19-2006, 06:10 AM
lukesp

Bob/hollerp89.

This thread has nothing to do with Cox sales.
It was started by Hogflyer because he wanted to mention that Cox have dropped most of their line of parts, engines etc. and he was telling those of us who were interested that it might be a good idea to go and order before it's all over.

We aren't Cox, we have nothing to do with Cox.

Of course you can ask for the part you want, but that doesn't mean anyone has it or knows where to find one. They are not common. Understand that. Your best bet will be to keep a sharp eye on ebay or contact Cox sales yourself and ask if they have such a part, which I seriously doubt.

Hey, you might get lucky and someone will see this post and contact you with the parts you are looking for, but the thread is not about you and your hunt for parts, OK?

Start a new thread in the "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes forum and you might get a better response. Seriously, I'm not "slamming" you but you are going about it the wrong way.

Luke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.