Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Tee Dee .010 Twin Engine Model

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Tee Dee .010 Twin Engine Model

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 02:47 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tee Dee .010 Twin Engine Model

OK Guys, Trying to get some models ready for Rog's flyin next month and I ran across this plan I had drawn for Raymond sometime back for a .010 twin. It is basically a Carl Goldberg Jr Skylark scaled down to about 24 inch wingspan. Well, had not heard if Raymond had built it yet so out comes the balsa and the glue and about 1 nights work! She weighs in at 5.4 oz. with 3 HS55s, 50mA pack receiver and switch harness. Still want to put some sort of color on her for trim but the old brain is in idle now so I am still deciding. Wing and tail covered in the Ultracoat light which is easy to apply. Everything else 2 coats of 50% nitrate dope with sanding between. Final trim will be sealed with Lustracoat clear. Now to see if I can get those Tee Dee .010s running at the same time!!

Bob Harris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55282.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	509669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80337.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	509670  
Old 08-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tee Dee .010 Twin Engine Model

Darn you Bob! Why is it that you're always 2-point-seven to three-point-oh-nine steps ahead of me? Never mind, it was a retorical question - I already know the answer.

Here's what happened to my twin .010 adventure; failure. Utter, complete, total, degrading zipness.

Yes, my main goal in life (for a time) was to produce the World's most wonderful sounding little twin. I bought two shiney new black case TD .010s and started my great adventure. Knowing that I had to break them in gently I screwed them to the same 2x4 about as close together as I thought they would reside in a model. I used the standard tank mount to begin with because I wanted to run them one at a time so that would make the best use of my time to accommodate cool-down between initial runs. One didn't peak quite as well as the other but I had expected that anyway - and the difference on a 3-inch prop didn't worry me. The stronger one was slated for the port side. So far so good.

Then I decided to run them together (cool sound!!!). It was relatively easy to get two humming within a short period of time. And as expected one would always run for seconds (and seconds) longer than the other - even when I tached them as close as I could.

So, I decided that they needed to be fed from the same tank so that they'd quit at the same time (thus avoiding a death spiral at the end of every flight - assuming there'd be more than one). Here then was my failure. I used an old Perfect tank with a standard "T" fitting between the engines. I raised the tank. I lowered the tank. I invoked every ancient druidic chant I knew. Alas, I couldn't get steady needle settings. I'm thinking that subtle pressure/suction changes thwarted my efforts so that as I adjusted one NV it changed to "head" to the other side. Anyway, my 2x4 never "flew" so here I sit, typing forlornly and frustrated.

Finally, and as usual, your model looks fantastic! Too bad its not 'legal' for the Reedie Race . But I'm sure it would qualify for the "unlimited" .
Old 08-19-2006, 07:23 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I'm betting an engine out condition wouldn't effect it at all, Raymond. Thing to do is wait and see what Bob's does, but the span is wide and the engines far enough inboard that it should be a pretty steady flier. Glad you decided to share your experience with a common tank...
Old 08-19-2006, 07:39 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

2 or 3 degrees of outthrust on each engine and you probably wouldn't notice any engine out issues unless you tried to climb or stretch the landing approach while on one.

Bob, once again you bring a big smile to my face. This is the stuff dreams and grins are made of. Hopefully it'll fly at least 1/4 as well as it looks. Even at that small a return it'll soar like an eagle.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:53 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

That is cool Bob, can't wait to see/hear it..I'm workin on the wee stick with throttle ring on it..well along with a few other things....Rog
Old 08-19-2006, 08:52 PM
rainedave

Bob, you are one cool modeler. Not only the subjects you choose, but the way you build and finish is terrific. Please bring this plane to the RR. Thanks for the pics. What a cool little plane.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:06 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Well Bruce, I have about 1 degree of out thrust to start. I did increase the rudder and lengthen the tail movement slightly. I learned this with the Jr Skylark twin trials. Hope to have her up and flying in the next few weeks. Even have the single engine version drawn up for .020 but not sure I will get her built in time. Got a few more designs to play with also! Been able to play more since selling the business. Hope to see everyone at Rog's flyin. Got the little control-line model out and cleaned up. Going to be some fun flying if Rog's has ordered some good weather!!!

Bob Harris
Old 08-20-2006, 02:33 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: rainedav

Bob, you are one cool modeler. Not only the subjects you choose, but the way you build and finish is terrific. Please bring this plane to the RR. Thanks for the pics. What a cool little plane.
RR? Is that Scooby talk for RunRly? maybe your finger was off a key for FF funfly?..oh wait Reedie Race? Come and see, Bob usually brings a fleet of cool planes, sounds like you have a few yourself, bring them out for us to see...Rog
Old 08-20-2006, 06:00 AM
DICKEYBIRD

BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL Bob! (As your work always is.)

Should be a real hot-rod. What's the chord? Looks to be around 5" or 6"?

2 .010's with 120 to 150 sq. in. will fly it with uhhh, shall we say, authority? At that low a wing loading along with the high power loading, you shouldn't have to worry 'bout engine-out problems. Even if you do get too slow and pop into a flat spin, just add opposite aileron to flatten it out more and land it on the gear....undamaged!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:16 AM
rainedave

no, Weddy Wace is WW. Siwwy wog.