Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

AP .09 or Norvel .074, and servo/reciever questions.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP .09 or Norvel .074, and servo/reciever questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Terbough Bob
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP .09 or Norvel .074, and servo/reciever questions.

I'm new to the 1/2 thing and I have a Watt Age Giles 202 that I'd like to convert to nitro. It has a 36" span and the electric flying weight is 33 oz. Which do you think would be a better engine for this application. I'd like unlimited vertical, but don't want to hang a "big block" OS .10 on there for weight reasons.

The AP is listed as having ball bearings and is cheaper (through Tower vs. through Sig for the Norvel), but the Norvel is lighter and appears to produce more power and RPMs. I'm guessing the Norvel is the way to go, but if the AP will suit me fine, I'd just assume take the extra money and put it towards some servos... which leads me to my next question:

What servos and reciever would you folks recommend? Are GWS even worth opening a browser to look at, or are the HiTec '55's the way to go?

Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 PM
psullivan

Default RE: AP .09 or Norvel .074, and servo/reciever questions.

Well not so sure about your first question as I haven't used the engines. But your looking at 33oz with E maybe a lil more with nitro. HS-81s might be a better choice, but what servos are you using now? Was that 33oz ready to fly? You say you want lotsa power..
Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Terbough Bob

I've never flown it; I bought the airframe used. The "factory spec" is 33 oz. flying weight. I actually figured nitro would weigh less because of the lack of ESC and battery. I figure 2.5 oz for engine and 2 oz fuel, and .3 oz for servo... that's gotta be less than motor, ESC and battery. Either way, I'd much rather have an engine than a motor. Electric flight is so sterile, clean and... well... predictable. That's not how flying outta be.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:36 PM
psullivan

Alright but man, I just must tell you to put my mind at ease. PUT A O.S. 15 ON THERE BABY! LOL I origanaly had a norvel on my Mini Ultra Stick but (I thought) I went crazy by ordering a .15 but I realy didnt at all. I did have to add 1oz to the tail but the plane is not over powered at all. It wont hover under 3/4 throttle so in my book thats alright. Its not evan an acrobatty airfrime like yours is.

There now I can go to sleep.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Terbough Bob

Hm... Well, I have an OS CV-A 15 and tuned pipe from a Kyosho ducted fan laying around that I could try... How much does your stick weigh, all up? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Terbough Bob

Nobody else wants to chim in?