Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox slow flyer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:31 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox slow flyer?

I have a cox black widow .049 sitting around and need some to build after im done with my air boat so I thought it would be fun to build a nice gentle slow flyer(im a beginner flyer) using my engine. Anybody have any plans or ideas or know a kit or ARF?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2006, 10:36 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Cox slow flyer?

Piece of cake. No, really!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE615&P=0
Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Lots of old timers that'll work well for this. Chose something around 45 to 50 inch span. Miss Tiny is a cutie. I built one and it was gentle but could do some basic stunts. It spent much of it's time circling in thermals while fighting in the 1/2A Texaco wars though.

www.bhplans.com
Old 08-24-2006, 10:51 PM
KidEpoxy

RE: PTulmer- Piece O Cake

Wow, that is a nice Beginners plane[ul][*] Weight: 24 oz (680g)[*] Wing Loading: 6 oz/sq ft (18g/sq dm)[*] Airfoil: FB1151 Polyhedral, High-Wing, One-Piece[*] Landing Speed: as low as 16 mph, most trainers are 25-35 mph[*] Wingspan: 72" (1830mm)[*] Wing Area: 573 sq in[/ul]

wonder how durable it is, and how easy to fix
plenty cheap too, calls for standard servo
Old 08-24-2006, 10:57 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Wow! Its suprising to me that an .049 can power that thing! 72 in span! looks cool though. thanks
Old 08-24-2006, 11:09 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder why "Dynaflyte no longer recomends flying this model with electric power" It's on the bottom of the Tower spec sheet under Commens
Old 08-25-2006, 12:27 AM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

How about this plane? Wouldnt be the slowEST but it suits me.

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHCK1&P=7]pico tiger moth[/link]
Old 08-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

I wonder why "Dynaflyte no longer recomends flying this model with electric power"
Maybe folks have a tendency to want to thermal this plane. Motor runs off and on until the battery drops off, then they eventually lose servos and the plane. Just a thought.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

While I have never had or flown a Piece O' cake I have read that it should be called the Piece O' Crap. Something about they build crazy tail heavy or something and that they are a real pain in the backside to balance right and they end up being pigs. Just what I have heard from some on this forum.

Later,
Tim
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
cncswiss1

Goldberg gentle lady with pod on top..I have firewall mounted the reedy before and ended up putting it back on the pod, much less mess up on the pod..
Old 08-25-2006, 09:36 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

While I have never had or flown a Piece O' cake I have read that it should be called the Piece O' Crap. Something about they build crazy tail heavy or something and that they are a real pain in the backside to balance right and they end up being pigs. Just what I have heard from some on this forum.

Later,
Tim
Tim I thought thats what you started with?, or something similar..?...Rog
Old 08-25-2006, 09:36 AM
ptulmer

Tim, the only one I've seen was simply a motorglider. It would go high and go in big circles. Yep, they need ballast like any other glider. Lengthening the front of the fuse would eliminate the ballast, and will change the wingloading for better performance in low wind conditions. That's not my cup of tea, but it's kind of unfair to call them crappy. They do what they're designed to do pretty well. Just don't try any aerobatics!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tim Wiltse-RCU

Later,
Tim
Uh, Tim, actually it's Piece O' S**t. It acquired the name from the poor quality of the parts and die-cutting. I think they had a local drunk make the dies for it. Once built, though, it is a really nice flying glider. I've flown one off a high start and it does thermal quite well. The one I flew with a BB .049 was able to make it to around 75 - 100 feet before the tank ran dry. It's worth a try with a BW and if it doesn't perform that well, us the BW in combination with a high start.

Hogflyer
Old 08-25-2006, 11:23 AM
ptulmer

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

.............It acquired the name from the poor quality of the parts and die-cutting. I think they had a local drunk make the dies for it.

Hogflyer
Oops, I may have misunderstood where the nickname was coming from!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

I had a POC a long time ago. If memory serves right the company (was it Dynaflight?) just cut the nose off a glider design of theirs - the name eludes me (that was outdated because of the flat-bottom airfoil).

I Didn't like mine either. Yes, tail heavy but I thought its biggest problem was that it was just too big (heavy) for a "tanked" 049 to gain enough altitude before the fuel ran out. Yes, even with a good engine run I don't think I ever got it up to hi-start altitude. But maybe that was just me. I was young back then and not nearly the aerodynamic expert that I am today.

I had much better luck with 1/2A Texaco designs that had two foot (!) smaller wings and weighed less (maybe half as much). The best one was a Kerswap. I still have it. FM has plans I believe.

As for no electrics. I dunno, maybe the weight of 6 or 7 cells and a brushed 05 would fold the wings?