Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Not feeling it anymore...

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Not feeling it anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:55 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not feeling it anymore...

...in the words of the immortal Van Morrison...

Yesterday, I took my daughter to the lake for some swimming and fun...we took along her Spacebug-powered Enterprise Surf Skimmer free sailing boat. After dickering around for fifteen minutes, with nothing more than the occasional "pop", I realized something...
I am "over" 1/2a engines. Completely. The muss, the fuss, the noise, the mess...it no longer moves me.
That little boat will get electric power, and the Spacebug will go off to ebay.
Over the past year or so, I have been getting rid of my huge collection of 1/2 and 1/4a engines and such, I don't recall putting in a single flight on any of my micro gas fleet over the past year at all. On the other hand, LOTS of flying with small electrics.
What can I say? I was one of the hardcore gas engine buffs, I never thought I would end up ditching them.
I guess part of it is "been there, done that". The novelty of the engines has worn off. Definitely reached a peak of compenency a few years back, put in tons of airtime on 01s and 02s, even built 01 twins and such...but having been up and down that road already, the thrill is gone. Even got rid of almost all my PAW diesels.

How do you like them apples? Who would have thought?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:28 PM
johnvb-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Not feeling it anymore...

If you can imagine a 3D sine wave, my interests move between 1/2A, 40 size glows and diesels, and electrics. Just moving out of the 40s to the electrics.

Sounds like you've been deep down the 1/2A well for a while. Later your interests may come back out of the electrics, and a handy PAW .55 could be just what you need down the track.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:10 AM
1/2Aandbeyond

I have a 4 year old boy who has a minor interest in R/C so it allows me to relive my youthful years through him. I broke out my old stuff and started building again. But more to the point my user name says it all.

I'm not limited to 1/2a planes at all. I have/had nitro boats, raced 10th scale stock cars, raced off road gearbox class trucks etc.. I have always loved 1/2a planes because they were convenient in size and price. I have 2 kids and space around the house is getting in short supply.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:09 AM
eroc144

ET - Go for it dude! Variety is the spice of life and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun exploring "new" areas of RC.

I think we all go through this from time to time. I've been exclusively focused on 1/2a since I got "back" into this hobby 2 years ago. I was attracted by the smaller fields, the simplicity of the planes, and the lower cost. But I've been finding myself wanting to build something more detailed where adding an ounce or two wasn't so critical - retracts, sliding canopies with detailed cockpits, split flaps, scale control surface linkages, fiberglass finishes - and have been cruising ebay for mid-sized WWII fighter plane kits (Pica, Jemco, etc). Even dug out an old OS Max FSR .25 that I used 20 years ago, which seems like a MONSTER after running a .061 Norvel! Webra Speed .32's, 4 stroke engines, plane cameras - there's so much to be learned and enjoyed in this hobby!

EG
Old 08-26-2006, 07:17 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Wuss!
Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I'm barely a year into this hobby and I'm pretty much along following the same cycles as John - bigger glow engines, electric, 1/2A and then back again.

I have a few choices for fields (all within a 15 minute drive) so I tend to match the plane to the field. E.g. this morning I flew a .25 sized plane at a big field, went home for a while then went to a smaller field in the evening and had a blast with a 1/2A plane. Typically, I'd also greet each dawn from my balcony flying an electric IFO (that's down for repairs at the moment). Love the 1/2As for the low cost, no fuss and great performance. But tommorrow, I'm going to a field near a high density residential area so I'll be flying a near silent brushless electric plane.

I'm only a newbie, but it might pay to hang on to your 1/2A stuff yet ....
Old 08-26-2006, 08:01 AM
flyinrog

I'd say to hold on to a couple of little engines just for the heck of it,,,In a couple of years you may see a norvel .049 blasting around the field and wish you had.....and they wont be any cheaper to get then...I got totally out of the hobby 12 years ago because I was disgusted with the trainer and money I was spending and the A)((&*e that was "bothering himself" to help me..and I too have made the move up to bigger planes, I still love that Norvel .074 though, I'm working on a .25 trainer right now and a .020 wee stick I got from BobHH before he sold the business.....and believe it or not working on the plans for next years 1/2A design contest...Rog
Old 08-26-2006, 08:35 AM
tangerine-jack

Easytiger,
I say bail out while you can! If you send me all your 1/2A stuff I will be more than happy to take it off your hands, for disposal purposes of course

I like 1/2A for much the same reasons as everybody else, but at the same time I also have a much bashed around but indestructable WT-40, a mostly complete Top Flite FW-190D for a .91 and 7 channels, and studying plans to build a 1911 Voisin canard for a .40 4 stroke.

Variety, yes that's the key to it all. Step away from the 1/2A for a while, thin out the stable, but don't get rid of everything. Keep your favorite airframe and your favorite engine. Just in case you get the bug again......

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Guys,

I think youse all have just defined some of the most compelling aspects of our hobby. . .
1, its constantly changing
2, shame on you if you get bored
3, even what's old is new again (like OT models), diesel, ignition, CL
4, new materials like FFF, Depron
5, new glues like Loctite Sumo, foam safe CA, accelarators
6, new power sources like inrunners, outrunners, li-pos

Yes, electrics have lured me too but I have gas, glow, diesel models active ranging from 1/4scale to .010 size. Love 'em all.

Listen to Rog. Keep some. You'll see.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 AM
flyswatter

Raymond, I agree with you. I have been doing various things (UC, Freeflight, RC) boats, cars and planes for nearly 55 years. I have done electric and glow, big and little, and think it is all fun. Now, I build 1/2As-120 size planes mostly. It is a great hobby and there is something for everybody. I guess I will keep building until I can't see them anymore, then I will go back to trains![X(]
Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: johnvb-RCU

If you can imagine a 3D sine wave, my interests move between 1/2A, 40 size glows and diesels, and electrics. Just moving out of the 40s to the electrics.

Sounds like you've been deep down the 1/2A well for a while. Later your interests may come back out of the electrics, and a handy PAW .55 could be just what you need down the track.
I'm mostly jets nowadays, everything from itty ones to turbines....

Funny, one of the engines I DID hold on to is a PAW 03rc, Millenium Edition SN#100. Just could not part with it!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:09 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: tangerine-jack

Easytiger,
I say bail out while you can! If you send me all your 1/2A stuff I will be more than happy to take it off your hands, for disposal purposes of course

I like 1/2A for much the same reasons as everybody else, but at the same time I also have a much bashed around but indestructable WT-40, a mostly complete Top Flite FW-190D for a .91 and 7 channels, and studying plans to build a 1911 Voisin canard for a .40 4 stroke.

Variety, yes that's the key to it all. Step away from the 1/2A for a while, thin out the stable, but don't get rid of everything. Keep your favorite airframe and your favorite engine. Just in case you get the bug again......

Good luck!
I'd say I DO indeed get plenty of variety in the hobby...from a free-running submarine the other day, to an experimental turbine last week! Lots of various interests, for me, though these days, predominently RC jets...but one aspect that has waned incredibly for me is gas(and diesel) 1/2a. For sure. Especially the Cox stuff.
I have a bunch of Don Garry Special Babe Bees, all anodized in different colors, that he made for me, on Scientific c/l jobs, that I cannot part with, those will stay.
And another thing I realized I am still flying is eight norvels in various Kamdax jets.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:13 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD

Wuss!
What? I can't hear you! I'm running two Babe Bees in my twin, hoping they stop at the same time when the tanks run out! Say it again in three minutes when I am going out on the field to pick up the wreckage!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:30 PM
johnvb-RCU

ORIGINAL: EASYTIGER

Funny, one of the engines I DID hold on to is a PAW 03rc, Millenium Edition SN#100. Just could not part with it!
Rats! I was kinda hoping..

Seriously though, my PAW .55 is probably my favourite engine. I have mine inverted in a small Rudder Bug. Flies great.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:19 AM
AndyW

Easytiger's conversion to electric may be a prelude of things to come if any of THIS is true. If so, goodbye to OPEC, Mobil, Shell, Exxon. Tesla would be pleased.

Imagine a 747 flying on electric turbines. Yeesh.

And exploding LiPos would be a thing of the past.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...4305%2C00.html

Old 08-29-2006, 07:48 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Rats! I was kinda hoping..

Seriously though, my PAW .55 is probably my favourite engine. I have mine inverted in a small Rudder Bug. Flies great.
I have to agree. The Paw .55 is my favorite engine of all time. No "u" in "favorite", I am an American, dammit! Currently, my last one is in a Flyline General Aristocrat.
Tesla, well, he was the first RCer. You guys knew that, right? 1895 or so, he demoed a very complex and effective RC boat. His workshop was right here on my block, there is a plaque there. So...if you want to know where RC started...well...at my place!
Old 08-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Wufnu
My Feedback: (2)

Sounds interesting, I want to know what they're working on

I have serious doubt about "free energy," though. Nothing is free.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:04 PM
johnvb-RCU

I have to agree. The Paw .55 is my favorite engine of all time. No "u" in "favorite", I am an American, dammit! Currently, my last one is in a Flyline General Aristocrat.

What colour is the Aristrocrat? http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm
Old 08-30-2006, 01:27 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

What colour is the Aristrocrat? http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm
It's painted with silvour!
Old 08-30-2006, 02:42 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

It's scary when you start to think like the ET! [X(]
A friend was going to jump on a Kyosho Spree Sports electric. I felt sorry for it & fitted a little OS 10 FP. The motor is a gem but I've been spoilt by electrics.
'The muss, the fuss, the noise, the mess...it no longer moves me.'
My thoughts exactly. This same friend has built a Flying Sword of Death with a Norvel in it, he digs it, I say small brushless & lipo. - John
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Went out the other day and put a bunch of flights on my Kamdax Mirage and Mig. Same thing. Not feeling it anymore. Limited performance compared to similar electrics like the Alfa Sabre, messy, noisy...the thrill is gone!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Wayne C

Hey ET, I run a shelter for unwanted, abandoned, or abused glow and diesel engines. Like most shelters you can just drop off the unwanted engine. Some may be euthanised or used as organ donors. While many will be cared for in house, some will be adopted out to good homes for an appropriate fee. Donations of fuel and other consumables are always appreciated.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:36 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: Wayne C

Hey ET, I run a shelter for unwanted, abandoned, or abused glow and diesel engines. Like most shelters you can just drop off the unwanted engine. Some may be euthanised or used as organ donors. While many will be cared for in house, some will be adopted out to good homes for an appropriate fee. Donations of fuel and other consumables are always appreciated.
That is the NOBLEST thing I have ever heard here. You would do that for me? What is your bank account number? I have some friends in Nigeria, also 1/2a engine fans, who would love to make a donation to your cause.

Just in case you guys DON'T beleive I have "been dere done dat" on the 1/2a front...well...lissen to this one:
Anybody ever remember the America's Hobby Center trade in program from the fifties and sixties? You could send in ANY old engine and get an O&R29(I think) for $6.95 with your trade in. Well...thousands of people took old Bernard Winston up on that offer. I trust he was making plenty of profit on the O&R at $6.95 to begin with, so the trade-in engines were just gravy. And they all got thrown in a big box in the basement at the 22nd street warehouse.
Guess who got that box? Yer old pal, Easytiger.
Ever owned a bucket full of 200 WenMacs? I did. Ever see a bucket full of 50 or so spacebugs and thermal hoppers? Ah, those were the days...
Old 09-06-2006, 12:42 AM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: Wayne C

Hey ET, I run a shelter for unwanted, abandoned, or abused glow and diesel engines. Like most shelters you can just drop off the unwanted engine. Some may be euthanized or used as organ donors. While many will be cared for in house, some will be adopted out to good homes for an appropriate fee. Donations of fuel and other consumables are always appreciated.
That is the NOBLEST thing I have ever heard here. You would do that for me? What is your bank account number? I have some friends in Nigeria, also 1/2a engine fans, who would love to make a donation to your cause.

Just in case you guys DON'T believe I have "been dere done dat" on the 1/2a front...well...lissen to this one:
Anybody ever remember the America's Hobby Center trade in program from the fifties and sixties? You could send in ANY old engine and get an O&R29(I think) for $6.95 with your trade in. Well...thousands of people took old Bernard Winston up on that offer. I trust he was making plenty of profit on the O&R at $6.95 to begin with, so the trade-in engines were just gravy. And they all got thrown in a big box in the basement at the 22nd street warehouse.
Guess who got that box? Yer old pal, Easytiger.
Ever owned a bucket full of 200 WenMacs? I did. Ever see a bucket full of 50 or so spacebugs and thermal hoppers? Ah, those were the days...

Easy,

How can you say that ole' buddy. Been dere done dat? [:'(]

Have a look at dis !! [X(]

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=hopeso

And yeah, the audio is outa synch,,, no the throttle does NOT take that long to react. Dang YouTube, they say they can't fix it.

So while y'all and others are goin' 'lectric, I'm going down kicking and screaming. Screaming Norvel, that is. The Norvel/LiteMachines engine is going into an ARK400 electric heli.

If it don't smoke and make noise, it ain't real.

Much of the other stuff is adventures in diesel. Note the second clip in the series. A Norvel .06 swinging an 8 X 4 Cox grey at 10.5K,,, yup an 8" prop.

Now, imagine a foamy Spitfire on electric. Whirrrrrr. Oh, god no,,, sob,, [:'(][:@] Hell, no Supermarine ever sounded like THAT. Now swap in the Norvel on diesel, on a big prop, and now you have scale effect with the sound, AND the smoke. Just wish I could find an 8 X 4 rubber ducky.

So, next is dieselizing the TD .020 and the .010. Yeah the cranks might break but I have lots of spares. And as per the first clip, these stinky engines will start with a spring starter. That's where a lot of cranks break, (at least on diesel) when you use an electric starter.

None of these engines are any trouble at all to start. Either a spring or electric starter and even on diesel, you really can't break them unless you try really, really hard. [>:]