Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Dragonfly muffler/throttle assemby

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Dragonfly muffler/throttle assemby

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:44 PM
indoorff
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragonfly muffler/throttle assemby

I picked up a throttle/muffler like is used on the Cox Dragonfly from my local hobby shop, but don't know how to use it! Which part are suppose to hook the throttle linkage to - the black band around the port? If so how do you keep the whole assembly from rotating on the cylinder?

Chris
Old 09-01-2006, 12:47 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dragonfly muffler/throttle assemby

You connect a wire with a Z bend to the "C" retainier ring. You may not have the one with throttle. Post a pic if you can.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:08 PM
indoorff

OK, so the whole works rotates on the cylinder, aligning/closing the exhast ports with the ones in the muffler? What is the adjustable black ring around the outside for then? The C-ring I am assuming is the goldy coloured one in the picture that is located at the bottom of the muffler (you can only see one of its two holes in the picture)?

thanks for the info

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

You connect a wire with a Z bend to the "C" retainier ring. You may not have the one with throttle. Post a pic if you can.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64596.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	517093  
Old 09-01-2006, 01:56 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the "c" ring with the 2 holes is the actual throttle control..the sliding black band controls the muffling and yes the whole thing does rotate on the cylinder , however the whole thing should be bought as a set that includes the cylinder...as it should be machined to fit closely inside the ring...Rog
Old 09-01-2006, 02:32 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: indoorff

OK, so the whole works rotates on the cylinder, aligning/closing the exhast ports with the ones in the muffler? What is the adjustable black ring around the outside for then?
Yes, the whole thing rotates on the cylinder. The adjustable black ring can be considered an "on"/"off" switch for the muffler. Close it and watch the rpms drop, open it and it runs like it should.
Rog is right about the machined cylinder with these. Let me check my Dragonfly tonight. If I can turn a SS cylinder to work, I'll be happy to do it for you.... or did you have a lathe?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:47 PM
indoorff

Thanks for the info guys. I had no idea a special cylinder was needed. ptulmer - thanks for the offer. I do have a lathe, and lots of cylinders so I will give it a go. How best to chuck up a cylinder?

Thanks
Chris
Old 09-01-2006, 06:05 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a bad glow plug that would be best to chuck it in with I would think...anyway its Very soft metal ,not sure of the name something like leadloy? wont need much material removed ,,if you have a shiney cylinder it may be a fit already....Rog
Old 09-03-2006, 06:32 PM
indoorff

I got the muffler on a surestart. I measured the ID of the muffler, and it was .5805" and the OD of the cylinder was .5810" - not much to take off at all, not even worth setting up the lathe for! I just took some emery paper to it by hand, and easily took off enough material for the muffler to slide on and turn freely. I wonder why Cox made it such a slight difference?

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-05-2006, 06:21 PM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a trick if the fit is too loose it can still be fixed with just a little maintenance once in a while using cigarette paper. Usually one curl around it does the trick. Just slit the paper through the sleeve so the port can work till it burns off there. I've gotten them to idle down lots slower this way also.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:43 AM
1/2Aandbeyond

Very loose indeed, I used one for years on a .049 Dumas Short Stuff and it worked great. The beauty of it is the ability to adjust it by either ring. Eventualy I cut off the muffler and just used the throttle body and the boat went even faster.