Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Spirit with .049 power pod

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Great Planes Spirit with .049 power pod

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 07:03 PM
indoorff
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Spirit with .049 power pod

Out at the field last night with my Spirit. I have a cox surestart with a Galbreith head, and a home-made muffler on it that I have mounted on a power pod to get the glider up there. My brother took some great pictures of it, so thought I would post a few of them here. The engine's power with a 6x3 nylon prop is a perfect match for the glider, it gives it a nice gradual climb out, and will take it as high as you want with the bladder tank I am running. 15cc's of fuel will run if for more than 4 min, and I get a great launch height with that run time.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51665.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	518444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33433.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	518445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37549.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	518446  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:01 AM
lukesp

Default RE: Great Planes Spirit with .049 power pod

Cool pics. Ain't aeromodelling fun ?

Luke S.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:22 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats some fancy tin work you did there,,looks like a good flyer...cool..Rog
Old 09-04-2006, 11:25 AM
GrahamC

I agree with Luke, "aeromodelling is fun ".

I like the muffler, very "Buck Roger's" like. I have a Spirit that I have flown off a high start for many years. I have it trimmed out and it is a nice flying glider. Getting out the high start or a winch can be a lot of work especially if I have need to just go get a few flights in. I have contemplated building a power pod for the plane and I think you have just inspired me to get off my can and do so, should make for a nice simple no hassle weekend project. I think I will use a diesel however, perhpas one of my Cox reed valve conversions (see picture) or a PAW.

The Cox really is as much a conversion as a custom kit built engine, uses bits from a number of different engines, crankshaft is a Davis diesel heavy duty reedy crank, crankcase from black widow or texaco, back plate from a very old Babe Bee, tank from a Texaco, stainless steel reed, piston/cylinder from a TD and diesel head from RJL. Works well, spins that 7x4 Master Airscrew prop at 11,000. This one currently is on a Playboy Junior which is not nearly as large as the Spirit.

I like electric powred gliders but there is something about glow and diesels that keep me coming back.

cheers, Graham in Embrun near Ottawa Canada.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97015.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	518832  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:53 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a k-mart foam plane and am working on making a power pod for an .020..already did the .049 on the nose bit..course it may not be able to get out of its own way ,but I bet it gets higher than the other kids...Rog
Old 09-04-2006, 10:40 PM
indoorff
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks guys. Luke - aeromodelling is DEFINATELY FUN.
Graham - The power pod certainly works for getting the glider up there, but the glide performance suffers from the massive increase in parasitic drag. Glad I inspired you! I think I have still had my longest flights from a highstart. I was contemplating converting a cox to diesel, maybe I will have to give it a try one of these days. Is it any quiter than glow? My club has noise restrictions created by somebody who dosnt know much about the decibal scale. [:'(]

Chris
Old 09-05-2006, 07:20 AM
GrahamC

Morning Chris,

Yes, lots of drag but a quick and easy way to go flying, especially on field without the room for a hi-start. Electric sailplanes with folding props are fine but running a small diesel or glow still has it's appeal and is a bit simpler without the attendant batteries and chargers.

As a diesel mine is a wee bit quieter than as a glow but not much, mostly because it is turning slower with a bigger prop. You will need the Davis heavy duty crank if you dieselize one. I have broken a number of car crankshafts which are a bit heftier and stronger than the normal reed valve cranks. If you break one of the Davis cranks you are really pushing it.

I have a PAW 80 (049) which has a single exhaust port rather than the normal 3 radial ports. Without a muffler it is very quiet, as quiet as any 049/ 09 with a muffler.

I do like the idea of modified reedy with the integral fuel tank. I am trying to come up with a good idea for a simple way to mount the PAW like the old Cox TD fuel tank/mount which are too small for the PAW.

cheers, Graham