Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

I

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 AM
nola66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I

I have a sterling F4u-1A corsair I am building. Does anyone know of any 1/2a retracts 90 degree rotating flavor?????
Old 09-07-2006, 04:29 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I

There is no Mfg to my knowledge offering what you seek.

There is a fellow who has been working on this problem for about 3 years now ( maybe more) on another R/Cgroup like this one. His intention was to make these to sell. Problem (for us)is he has a life and a job. These have kept him from completing his mission. Maybe one day.

Robert
Old 09-07-2006, 07:20 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nola, leave the gear off and belly land it. Althought the Sterling kits are a little heavy, you should be able to grease it in on the grass with no problem. Unless you fly off of pavement or concrete, 1/2a retracts are a waste of time, money and weight.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want them there to display it sitting on the ground, just make em plug ins. But for actual use, forgetaboutit.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think retracts are practical until you get up to most .60 sized planes, then there doesn't seem to be much of a penalty..
Old 09-07-2006, 10:58 PM
build light

The only real benifit you could get from these (if they were to be had) would be the "Cool Factor" I don't care who ya are, 90 degreee retracts on any size plane would just be so darn cool! Many others have yearned for such a thing as have I.

Reality however has been laid out. Once past the Cool Factor there really is no benifit. The weight penalty is just too great and they do fly best with out gear at all plus they look right as well.

I vote for the plug-ins as it would give the plane a right looking home on the ground.

Robert
Old 09-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This company is working on a rotating retract system that weighs 1oz, including servo. http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/custom.asp?recid=8

If you can't afford 1oz for something as cool as retracts, then you're not trying hard enough. If we didn't care about cool factor then we wouldn't be using tiny glow engines at all.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:26 PM
build light

I agree with you Bipe Flyer, Cool pretty much is why we do what we do.

As for the retracts you have graciously provided a link to, this is the guy I was reffering to in my first post in this thread. The guys name is Zeke Brubaker and he is very knowledgeble about this particular subject. More so than any other I know of. Problem is, we would all like them now and he has been at this since Dec of 2002 where he mentions working on 90 degree rotating retracts in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...egree+retracts

The thread for the 90 degree retracts is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...egree+retracts
It simply is a time consuming project and one day we will have these available( I really do hope so) but so far it has been over 3 years and though they seem around the corner they simply are not here yet and it may be another 3 years. Who knows?

All I know is that I want a pair for a P40! In the meantime unless there is someone else on this track we can do little more that we have done in the past.

Robert