Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Which Model for Enya 09

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Which Model for Enya 09

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:05 PM
martin_solo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Model for Enya 09

Hi

I got this lil Enya 09 III R/C and I would like to build a cool R/C plane for it.

What model would it be fun for this engine?

Thank you,

Martin
Old 09-09-2006, 12:02 PM
west6008

Default RE: Which Model for Enya 09

If you want something tame and scale-like, build a J3 Cub no less than 60" span,
and keep it light. Use an 8 X 4 prop

I have an Enya 09 in a Goldberg Anniversary Cub, I threw out 50 %
of the wood in the kit to keep it light

-reduced the stab to scale size and took out the positive incidence
-sanded the rudder to 1/8" thick
-modified wing ribs to eliminate the ailerons
-left out the struts and arranged internally-sprung landing gear

The Enya is a perfect match for Cub-like performance, and the model is
light enough to turn into a slope glider when the wind is right
Old 09-09-2006, 09:17 PM
martin_solo

What about a modern look model?

I love the CUB and with the original yelow it is sure a beauty.

Are you familiar with the Birdie Ten? I was wondering if this too big

Wing span........49 inches
Wing area.........300 square inches
engine..............10 - 15
Radio................2 to 4 channels

Thanks,

Martin
Old 09-09-2006, 10:40 PM
hogflyer

Martin,

I think the Birdie Ten would be some what marginal on the .09. It'll fly on the wing with out a lot of vertical performance. A .15 would be a better choice. I'm also guessing, even though you have only 3 posts on RCU, that you have some experience as the Birdie Ten is a small it goes where you point it pattern plane, not a trainer with build in stability.

west6008,

How did you re-engineer that Goldberg Anniversary Cub light enough to fly on the .09? Do you have a picture you can post of the plane? Sounds like you have a Cub that flies like a FF and can thermal quite well.

Hogflyer
Old 09-10-2006, 12:44 AM
martin_solo

no I have no experience in R/C flying. I started U control this year. Made it to the NATS and got 2nd Open....that is Open Beginners hehe.

What about those Scale Models from House of Balsa, like that P47 is that hard to fly?

Thanks,

Martin
Old 09-10-2006, 08:25 AM
hogflyer

Martin,

Congratulations on making it as far as you did in the Nats in your first year of flying.

You need to keep the Birdie Ten on the shelf for a while and learn to fly RC first, otherwise the life span of it will be 5 seconds or less. At the top of the half-A forum is a stick for Bipe Flyers trainer which I think will be suited for the .09 (others here can correct me if I'm wrong). While the plane was designed for the Norvel .074, you'll add a bit more weight to the front that will have to be balanced out, but shouldn't over power it. You'll have to scratch build - just build carefully and consider the weight. This, coupled with finding an instructor will have you flying RC with a proper trainer. As far as other trainers in this size, there really aren't a lot out there. Most are .40 size and up - the small end is basically ignored by the kit manufactuers in the current days of ARF's and small park flyers of the dark side .

Keep away from the HOB kits right now - they, like the Birdie Ten, are for advanced pilots (OK, you can get the P-47, but leave it on the shelf for a while). One will last as long as the Birdie also - I've seen too many want to start out with the WWII fighter only to pile it in (I've seen some experienced pilots get in over their heads with a WWII fighter also before they where ready.....). Learn to fly the trainer first, then the more advanced planes will have a much higher life expectancy.

Hogflyer
Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 PM
west6008

Hog Flyer

My Cub looks like an ordinary Goldberg. Like I said, I left out over half the wood.
At first it had a .40, but flew like a cruise missile, so I went at the structure with wire cutters
and Dremel to eliminate even more wood.
Building rubber power models for years made me paranoid about weight control.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:13 PM
martin_solo

What about the the [link=http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/ProductsV5.html?L+Sig+yfgl0389+_Ddp_5fSearch1_02A_ 2dHERRE1_2f2PiperJ_2d3_01Search_02Index_01SubMenu_ 02None_01]HERR Piper J-3 Cub [/link] for an electric motor?

would it be possible to adapt the Enya 09 in it?

Would the Enya be too much engine for it?

thank you,

Martin

Old 09-18-2006, 02:58 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Yes, in theory its like putting a .60 engine in a .40 plane but it doesnt work like that in a scale way.. a heavy .09 in a model where the high end engine is .061 will end up too heavy, it might fly but I think it would snap too easily with that short of a wingspan...others may disagree...Rog, there may be one of the Herr planes that might work I cant remember the name starcruiser maybe?..a cessna type for the .074 might be ok, or this
http://www.thundertiger4u.com/dragonfly-15-p-7297.html

this is for a .10-.15 so your .09 should be okay and I doubt its actually 37-40 pounds or even 3.7, I'm thinkin 37 ounces more like it, there are a lot of errors on this site, but thats a good price too, thought about gettin one myself.....
Old 09-21-2006, 11:33 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed--the Herr Cub is too small for the Enya; it would be too heavy to fly at all Cub-like, hard to balance, look terrible with a big motor sticking out, and have way more power than you need. If your 09 III is like mine, the throttle has a slow response that makes it hard to manage, so it's nicest on a slow flying plane. It's going to be hard to find a kit for it, but there are tons of scratch building options. Look for Randy Randolf designs in the Flying Models Plans Service--they have very simple construction and several are just the right size. Jim
Old 09-21-2006, 02:24 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a enya .09-IV on a Mini Super Sportster. Your .09-III will be a little weaker with the larger props, than the .09-IV, but should spin a 7X3 MAS about 17,000 RPMs, give or take a little. Might even try a 7x4 on it. Without landing gear, mine weighed about 19 & 1/2 OZs. Very aerobatic, can be flown very slow. I crunched mine (Lodgepole pine reached out, & grabed it) & am gonna replace it with another. Got two other MSSs, one with an electric, & the other with a IC engine. Whatever your choice, hope that you enjoy. .................. Geo.K.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:01 PM
martin_solo

I made a mistake, I do have the Enya 09 IV not the III.

I saw the MSS but since it is is a low wing I thought I need something else. Is the MSS easy to learn to fly?

The other thought was to stick this Enya on the nose of a glider, like the SIG Ninja. Would that work?

Martin

ORIGINAL: mtntopgeo

I had a enya .09-IV on a Mini Super Sportster. Your .09-III will be a little weaker with the larger props, than the .09-IV, but should spin a 7X3 MAS about 17,000 RPMs, give or take a little. Might even try a 7x4 on it. Without landing gear, mine weighed about 19 & 1/2 OZs. Very aerobatic, can be flown very slow. I crunched mine (Lodgepole pine reached out, & grabed it) & am gonna replace it with another. Got two other MSSs, one with an electric, & the other with a IC engine. Whatever your choice, hope that you enjoy. .................. Geo.K.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:41 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Yes the MSS is very easy to fly. If I can handle it, anyone can. Don't let the low wing scare you. About the only downside is: The low wing makes it a little awkward to make a one handed launch. However, with the weight being so low, it's not that difficult to hold on to. I found the 7x4 to be a very versatile prop with the .09-IV. 7x5 was more speed, but was on my first flight, with that prop, when I crunched it. ................ I've got a NIB Coyote, that Ive been wanting to put one of my .09s into. Too many other projects going on. I'm sure that others here have tried similar projects, will let them advise you. Good luck. ...............George K.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:33 PM
martin_solo

Are you guys shure the Herr Piper J-3 Cub 1/2A is too small for the 09IV ? It has 48" Wing and the Dragon Fly is only 44"

If I mount the engine up side down it seems it will not stick out of the cowl at all.

Martin
Old 09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

At 48 inches span the Herr would be fine. I believe they set it up primarily for electric so a bit of MINOR beefing up or perhaps some 1/32 ply doublers on the sides in the nose area would be appropriate. But that's just a blind call on my part as I have not seen the plans.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:09 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Martin,

I guarantee your .09 is perfect for the Ace Alpha trainer. http://www.thundertiger4u.com/alpha-kit-p-11065.html

This website does not give any specs but if you go to www.acehobby.com and follow the links you will find all the info you need.

Me and a buddy both had one with .09IIIs and they flew great. I already knew how to fly but he learned to fly with his. They have steerable nose wheels so if you have a hard surface you can learn to take-off and land in the conventional manner. The tri-cycle landing gear is also very stable and is generally prefered for a beginner. The wings are foam and the fuse sides are liteply so the thing is very durable and repairable to withstand all the hard knocks of learning to fly.

Use mini servos (around 18-19 gram... NO SMALLER) and medium size battery pack (around 300-400mah Nickel-metal cells) to keep the weight down and you'll have a great trainer.

Mike

Mike
Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Martin,

I just ran across another option if you'd like an ARF. [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/123401.asp#More]Hobby People Schoolboy[/link]

Here are the specs;
Length.....34.63 inches
Span........50 inches
Area.........325 sq inches
Weight......30-36 ounces
Engine...... .09-.15
Radio.........3 channes

Flies great on an AP .09

The AP.09 is a little lighter but the Enya would work just fine.

If you decide this would work you'd better jump as I think this is a limited time offer. If anything this would get you in the air fast while you look for and build something closer to your heart.

Mike
Old 09-21-2006, 08:53 PM
buzzard bait

Martin, wing span is only one measure, so don't try to judge the Herr Cub by that alone. A 4 Star 60 and a Piece 'O Cake have the same wingspan, but one takes a 60 and the other an 049. The Cub has a short fuselage and light construction, and the full scale airplane was light and slow. I'm not saying it can't be done--I'm sure people have done it, but not likely for their first plane, and not for making a scale impression in the air. What I'm saying is that it will be too heavy to fly like a Cub, a poor trainer, probably squirrely on the ground with that much weight and power, and the landing gear and maybe other parts will need strengthening to take the weight.

The Schoolboy above looks like a pretty good deal. Compared to the Herr Cub, the wing is similar but the fuse is 4 inches longer, and it's designed to handle the weight and power without modification.

For plans, take a look at the "Dime" by Randy Randolph--a simple scratch building project that will teach you a very great deal and have a very high chance of success--success being a plane that you can learn to enjoy quickly with minimum instruction, that is comfortable to fly, allows you to learn take-offs, touch and goes, overcoming orientation problems--all the basics. Once you've done something like that you will develop your own ideas about scale types. And you will know that scratch building is very satisfying and not very difficult. That's important if you want to do more with your .09.

The "Dime" plans are available from the AMA Plans Service. If you are a member you can read the entire construction article, complete with color photos, on the AMA website. The plane is fairly attractive for being so simple, and it was designed specifically for the kind of engine you have. Incidently, compare its wing span, area, and length to the Herr Cub.

Jim
Old 09-21-2006, 09:56 PM
hogflyer

I just ordered the Hobby People School Boy and should have it sometime next week. I have an OS .10 looking for a home a long with a few servo's, receiver and battery. With the wing area it should make a good little trainer - should also be able to thermal with the light weight and all that wing. I'm just looking for a relaxing evening flyer for 1 or 2 flights at a local park. I'll fly it out of a baseball field, but for training don't even think of that - you'll need a good size field to learn to fly from. This plane has been off the market for a while which leads me to think they may have found a bunch in a warehouse and want to dump the remainder of the stock. For the price you'd be very hard presses to build on like it, even scratch build considering the time go make a kit and build vs. it's already built and just needs assembly. If I'm right and it's made by Global, it should be a pretty good little plane.

Hogflyer
Old 09-22-2006, 12:14 AM
martin_solo

I visited the AMA plans service and I couldn't find the plans for the DIME. Is there a different name for this model.

I can build from plans, I seems the most economic way to start.

Thank you,

Martin
Old 09-22-2006, 12:09 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

Hogflyer,

The SchoolBoy is an excellent little ARF. I taught myself how to fly with one and I've still got a few of them NIB for spares. It should fly great on the OS .10. Even with standard servos and battery back, it does fine.

When i was searching for one last year I called Hobby-people and hassled them for discontinuing it. Maybe the listened!

Regards,

Dave
Old 09-22-2006, 02:37 PM
hogflyer

Dave,

I'm think'n they may have found a bunch in a warehouse and just want to dump the stock. They've upped the retail to say they marked it down toaround what I seem to remember it selling for several years ago, which leads me to believe they are in an unload mode for an out of production plane. If it was back into production I think they would be touting it as re-introduced, back in production or some other hype. Is it made by Global?

I'm planning on using my OS .10, (2) HS-81 and (1) generic micro, along with my Berg 7ch receiver. I'm shooting for that magical 30 oz weight, but well see when it arrives. Have you had any luck thermaling? I agree that with all the wing area for the weight it shold do good - just perfect for around a park or school yard for a couple of flights to relax.

Hogflyer
Old 09-22-2006, 03:03 PM
foresterxt
My Feedback: (35)

Hogflyer,

This is what i would consider the perfect "nitro parkflyer". The little AP .09 (as well as the OS .10) are so quite that you won't have any problems with noise complaints. It will thermal a bit, although I've never really focused on making it thermal. It will fly slow enough to walk next to although at full throtle with some tail wind she really scoots. The only problems I've read about are that there is a chance of the wing folding right in the center during high G maneuvers. Mine folded when I had a bit of a crash landing early on. I drilled out both wing halves and used a simple hard wood dowl when I reconnected them. If I were you, I would use the joiner as a jig and make a new one out of hard wood.

By the way, when I originally purchased mine, they were $89. I wanted something small and easy to transport and this fit the bill so i was willing to pay a bit extra for a nice plane. The plane has iron on covering not cheap shelf paper. The surfaces are also built up and not sheeted. It's definitely worth the $49.

Regards,

Dave
Old 09-23-2006, 10:06 AM
buzzard bait

Martin, I checked out the AMA site, and I agree--the Dime was not listed on the order sheet. I'm surprised, but I'm also quite sure it is a mistake and if you contact AMA by phone or email I bet they will get a price for you.

Did you check out the construction article? If not, and if you are an AMA member, go to "Members Only" and then click on Archives. You will get a search menu. All you need to do is type Dime and click on Titles only for the search, all years and all months, and it will come right up.

It's such a trim little plane I started thinking about doing one for myself even though I don't need a trainer.

Let me know.

Jim