Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ace Simple ME-109 Build Tips?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ace Simple ME-109 Build Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 06:46 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace Simple ME-109 Build Tips?

Dropped by a LHS that I don't normally frequent and discovered a dusty ME109 kit that has probably been sitting around for a decade. A few quick words and the kit was mine at a bargain price. I've seen occasional reference to the "Ace Simple Series" kits in this forum and just had to give it a go. Anyone has any experience with this particular plane?

Looks to be a quick and easy build. However, I do have a few questions, mainly in regards to the foam wing.

#1 Injection moulding dimples - can I just take some fine sandpaper and carefully sand these off? Think they detract from the appearance of the plane; also, I was thinking of covering the wing with iron on (see next question).

#2 The instructions call for strapping tape. Not really fond of this method. Would it be alright if I just covered the wing with iron on? Either Doculam (subject to a temp test) or regular ultralight low temp covering. Used this method on a couple of GWS foamies that I converted and they seem to add a lot of strength, durability and ease of cleanup. Thought of sheeting with balsa, but I'm thinking that would add way too much weight for unnecessary stiffness. Alternatively, I could glass the wing, but the same weight issue would apply?

#3 Dihedral - the plans call of 2" of dihedral with one wing flat on the table. Just eyeballing it, but that does seem like a little excessive? Would it still be fliable if I halve that (will be putting in full house controls)?

#4 What engine.... Recommended powerplant is a TT 07 which I have, but think is too heavy for this plane. Three top choices are an AP Wasp, a Norvel Big Mig 0.061, or a Norvel AME 0.061. Had a really good experience with the Wasp on a DNU (which seems pretty similar), but I'm open to suggestions. Would the AME be overkill?

#5 What's the best way to get the mottled camouflage pattern on iron on? Scuff a light blue base and then spray over with grey paint? Can I do this with Doculam but spray both colours on the adhesive side?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:01 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ace Simple ME-109 Build Tips?

I think the instructions say to sand off the dimples on the foam wing...You definatly need the glass strapping tape lengthwise around the wing, then cover it with iron on covering,,the TT-07 is probably as powerful maybe a bit more than the bigmig .061 ..I had an ME-109 but I gave it to Propbuster so I never built it..maybe he will chime in and comment...Rog
Old 09-23-2006, 11:57 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you do use the fiberglass tape. this is for strength. You don't want to do a nice job and then one day have the wing fold on you.

Solarfilm has been the best choice for covering these wings by most counts though other coverings can be made to work. Not sure about the temp on Doculam whether it would be compatible. Worth a test I would imagine.

Yes you can do the camo on the Doculam. if you want it shiny in appearance do it on the adhesive side. If you want it to look flat without shine do it on the outside.

Doculam would be the best choice because it weighs so little. Any iron on covering will add strength to the structure with the wing in particular. Do not be under the impression that it will be enough strength that you can do without the fiberglass tape.

Robert
Old 09-23-2006, 05:12 PM
propbuster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Me109 build was quick enjoyable. I'd leave the dihedral as it is and would go with at least a TD .051 or the .061. I've got a Shure Start engine on mine right now but it's definatley underpowered. In place of the strapping tape, you could always inbed a hardwood spar in the foam before covering it.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd put the AME on it and make sure to run muffler preasure or backplate preasure on it. More than enough power there. The TT 07 is not the most powerful engine around for it's weight, but it's supposed to be very reliable and easy to operate.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:01 PM
eroc144

I've got a simple series Corsair which is pretty similar except for the gull wing.

I hated the strapping tape idea too and sheeted the wing with 1/32 balsa. The weight gain was negligable, but the wing is strong like rock and has survived bad piloting and engine failures.

The only negative effect of reducing the diehedral is that you'll lose some stability - you'll spend more time "flying it" and less time relaxing. Of course it's a warbird so you're probably not planning to put-put around the sky anyway.

I'd go with the AME - The .061 Big Mig would work, but it'll be somewhat underpowered. I've got a Norvel .074 with a 7x3 prop on mine and that seems to give pretty realistic flights.

Post some pictures when you start building it.

EG
Old 09-23-2006, 09:15 PM
efish

Hi, thanks everyone. I take the unanimous point that the wing needs reinforcement. Still not keen on the strapping tape idea so I'll probably do the classic foamy thing and just embed a carbon tube in the wing. Either that or a wooden spar. And I'll leave the dihedral as drawn.

Will probably put the AME in too. For whatever reason, I've not had very good experience with the TT07. Plus, its definitely a little heavy for the amount of power it puts out.

Well, thanks again. Glider season is coming up over here in a about a month, so that's where my priorities are right now. This will probably be my next project once I get the glider off my bench. If only I could spend all my time working on my planes!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to here it Eroc, I just picked up a Norvel .074 used for my simple series Corsair. Thinkin of just cutting a spar into the wing myself. Dont' want to overdue it though, wouldn't be Simple then.

I've also just had a hankerin for some more of the Walt Masciano planes from Blackhawk who's website is really lookin good nowadays. Ordered an engine and a SE5 from Virginia hobbysport this week. They're just so preacious.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:50 AM
efish

Hi Clean, I've been messing around with 3D foamies and the carbon tube reinforced wing is amazingly strong. Built 1 over the weekend and took it out yesterday. It was windy enough that my 30 sized 4 stroke powered lazy bee had difficulty flying forwards and even the 40 and 50 sized nitro planes were getting blown all over.

Unbelievably, the best flying plane was the little carbon tube reinforced electric foamy. You could see the depron flexing, but it was cool to fly backwards and roll with the plane stationary. Probably not was stiff as a wooden spar, but I think its also a lot less likely to break. Pretty much decided on putting 1 in my ME109 wing.