Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel .074 carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel .074 carb

Anyone fix the .074 carb so the barrel is in the middle of the affair instead of trying to scrunch off to one side and partially cover itself?

I think the .074 would make more horses (and still idle OK) if the venturi hole was a bit larger and stayed in the middle instead of wandering off to the side.

Overall, I have not been satisfied with the power this thing is making. I'll bet it is well less than what an CL AME .061 makes (apples and oranges, but still weak for the weight).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84801.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	531580  
Old 09-27-2006, 10:39 PM
SGC

Default RE: Norvel .074 carb

Larry,
Your throttle barrel looks like it needs turning in 1/2 turn on the fuel jet, just loosen the throt lever , back out the needle and turn the barrel in 1/2 turn, that should center the hole and improve airflow.
Stewart
Old 09-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recognize that plane! Thats the Herr little Extra. I just put one together and broke on the engine today. I opted for the OS .15 CV-A swinging an 8x4 APC prop though. I cant wait to fly it. How is yours doing with the "recomended" engine? Any thing I should look out for?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Larry, for an eye opening experience, take off the carb, replace with a VA NVA, remove the muffler and run it on bladder. It will turn a 6x4 with gusto now, might even give an AME a run for its' money?.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:54 PM
D Bronk

Larry Take The Trottle Stop out ,and, Chuck it.If you have a Computer Radio,that, will be your new idle stop,and, kill Disconect the throttle Lever, from the Servo.Then Rotate the lever a full turn, as if you were Screwing it in,Because,that what`s happening ,and it should ,Center the little opening,in the Big opening for you... Dave
Old 09-28-2006, 06:34 AM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

I recognize that plane! Thats the Herr little Extra. I just put one together and broke on the engine today. I opted for the OS .15 CV-A swinging an 8x4 APC prop though. I cant wait to fly it. How is yours doing with the "recomended" engine? Any thing I should look out for?

Mine could use a .15. It is pretty docile. Super nice roll rate!

And I think an 8" prop will work better too. Lots of drag to haul around with 7" of blade.

Were I putting another Little Extra together I would opt for a light .15.

Anything to look for? I would make sure that the motor mount was well reinforced for the .15. And, if you stayed with the plywood mount I would keep an eye on the motor bolts to make sure they stay tight.

The recommended balance point works well. With the .074 I had to move the battery well forward and stuff it up under the tank.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:11 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

My .074 wouldnt fly my Herr, it has a Magnum .15 on it now waiting for me to finish it again...Rog
Old 09-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: SGC

Larry,
Your throttle barrel looks like it needs turning in 1/2 turn on the fuel jet, just loosen the throt lever , back out the needle and turn the barrel in 1/2 turn, that should center the hole and improve airflow.
Stewart
Hey Stewart, Thank You,

I didn't realize how the carb worked. I had to shim the fuel jet (three layers of business card washers) to keep it from screwing in too far and then we were all lined up.

CP - I'm sure you are on to something. But I need a plane to shoot touch and goes with and so need a throttle.javascript:void(AddText(''))
javascript:void(AddText(''))

I had a drill bit (# 29) in my hand to open the carb up a bit, but resisted. I afraid it might not help as much as I think as the muffler is probably restricting things too. And just about decision time I also remembered that this is not a competition situation and I don't need what might be barely measurable increases in power to enjoy playing with this thing.

DB - I have adjusted the throws so we don't go past full throttle and will be in good shape if I have enough idle/off movement to kill the engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29321.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	531730  
Old 09-28-2006, 07:13 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Larry, I was half way joking. I just get a kick out of giving someone like you, with your real world experience in aviation any advice at all......gotta go now, Howard Rush is on the other line and wants to know how to get more speed out of his F2Ds.......
Old 09-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Larry Driskill

I need to apologize a bit to Mr. Norvel.

After setting up the carb as per the instructions from SGC, the idle as per DB, and mostly ignoring Pigg
, the engine was makin' pretty good power.

Added a head shim and got better plug life.

And I changed the prop from an APC 7X3 to a Master Airscrew 7X3 and got some more thrust.

The 'Extra is now good fun and, again, nice roll rate!

A .15 would be a bit of a rocket.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Mr67Stang

Hey Rog, you NEED to get that Extra of yours put together so we can do some formation flying... wait is yours purple too... could be a bad idea I will be maidening mine today (Friday). Here at the "Lab" I have run in the engine and held the plane nose up a full throttle and it wants to pull out of my hand with that 8x4 APC. Sitting on the ground at full throttle it sucked the 2oz tank dry in 5:40 mins. and sometimes that a little longer than I get to fly a plane anyway.[&:]
Old 01-15-2007, 12:16 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Does anyone know the part number for the 074 carb? Sig has parts listed, but doesnt list what they are for? Are there any parts available? Where has norvel gone?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:15 PM
mnrcaerobat

Does this number sound right

NVL110223RC
Old 01-15-2007, 04:28 PM
mnrcaerobat

I emailed to sig and they had a used carb they sold to me. He also said it sounded like their Norvel shipment would be coming in Feb or March.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:44 PM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: mnrcaerobat

I emailed to sig and they had a used carb they sold to me. He also said it sounded like their Norvel shipment would be coming in Feb or March.

Feb or March. Of what year ?? LOL..I got lucky, and found a new in Box R/C will have it at end of the month..
Old 01-16-2007, 05:28 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

[quote]

"Mine could use a .15. It is pretty docile. Super nice roll rate!

And I think an 8" prop will work better too. Lots of drag to haul around with 7" of blade.

Were I putting another Little Extra together I would opt for a light .15."

Last summer, spent quite a bit of time with .074 Norvel, .09-IV Enya, & some (not enough) time with Enya 15-IV comparison(s). Mostly with crude home/foam builts, & Mini Super Sportsters. A lot of subjectivity here, & I'm sure that there are a multitude of other opinions. After a load of flights with various combinations, I decided that to get a somewhat sprited perfofmance with a 280 to 300 sq in wing, The Norvel is gonna have to be limited to about 13 to 16 OZs. The .09 to about 21 OZs, & the .15 to about 28 or 30 OZs. My little extra came out to about 22OZs. Didn't even try the .074. The .09 was about 24Ozs, so just put on a 11CX at about the same weight. Flys great, but I, too, wonder about the need for a 8" prop. The .11 doesn't like the 8x4 MAS, so will probably try a 15. ..... George K.