Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Castor varnish

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castor varnish

My flying buddy and I were out flying F2D CL Combat planes and my engine got to acting like it was running lean and was slowing way down after a few laps. This was after running fine for a few moments. Check out, start it up and it was fine . . . for a few laps.

I could not figure out the problem and so switched engines and torn that one down after I got home.

What I found was a real bad case of varnish on the piston. F2D requires all castor lube in the fuel. Some guys run a blend in practice, but I have been using all castor. I suppose I will mix some 10% Klotz, 10% castor, 10% nitro and the remainder methanol.

The left two photos are what the piston looked like before I cleaned it with 0000 steel wool. The right photo is the cleaned piston. Before cleaning it was tight in the sleeve. Now the fit feels pretty good and is only tight at the top of the stroke.

This is the first time I can remember having varnish on other than a Cox .049 where it happened quite often and an good scrubbin' was often a good plan with my TeeDees if they acted lean when they were not.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20517.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	535916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48930.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	535917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34537.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	535918  
Old 10-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Larry Driskill

Default RE: Castor varnish

Just for fun:

Here is the sleeve and crank out of the same engine (an older Profi .15 I use for practice.).

Note the slot under the exhaust port. I'm thinking that is for sub piston induction. With the piston at TDC that slot allows air to enter the case. SPI is now illegal in F2D engines but probably was not when this engine was made.

And look at the opening in the crank. Nice and large and the opening duration is fairly long. No low reving stump puller here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62110.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	535930  
Old 10-05-2006, 09:46 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Larry, I've seen that same hole in other pretty hot engines, [Webra .50 and Rossi .45] gotta be something to that. That is a nice uniform coating on the piston, just think, there must be pretty close to zero wear on it.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: Larry Driskill

Note the slot under the exhaust port. I'm thinking that is for sub piston induction. With the piston at TDC that slot allows air to enter the case. SPI is now illegal in F2D engines but probably was not when this engine was made.
I was wrong about the SPI. When the sleeve is in the case that slot is covered by the casing.

My flying buddy thinks it is to trap a little oil on the hot side of the piston/sleeve and help keep things lubed.