Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a Dominator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Sneasle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2a Dominator?

I'm baaaaccckk.. well, kinda.

Anywho, I was browsing the tower catalogue and the latest AMA mag issues recently and I read through the articles about the racing (in ohio was it?) Anywho, I found the small amount of detail about the dominator event interesting and looked the plane up. To my surprise I saw that they had a smaller version as well, for .061 engines I beleive.

I recently picked up an Os la .10 and I still have the .15 I pulled out of the mustang and I got to thinking that This could be a good home for the .10 or possibly even the .15 if i don't build another 'stang.

So, I am wondering, Does anyone have any stick time on this little plane? It looks like it would be fun to build and even more fun to fly once I got my skill level to that point.

If I get some favorable info on it I might just be starting another build thread soon.

Oh, is there a repair build forum area?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 1/2a Dominator?

Flys good- don't think it is as fast as the Shrike 1/2A, but close. I think a .10 or .15 would be to heavy- try the .061 Norvel- but hey give it a try- move everything to the rear as far as possible. There is not alot of room in the fuse- use small stuff. Dale
Old 10-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Sneasle

I looked at the shrike a bit more. is it easier to work with?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Dominator is a standard build and may be built with a conventional fin and stab or with a V-tail. The Shrike is not typical construction due to the thru-spar and the wing is actually built onto the fuselage -- you have to pay attention to alignment. Both the Dominator and Shrike are tight WRT space. The Shrike is quick and not a second plane. It has a tendency at times to snap on launch if you are not on your toes. A standard 4C will work for the Dominator with fin and stab and Shrike.

If you want fast, but with some peace of mind, choose the Dominator. If you fly WOT, the Shrike will give you a workout until out of fuel.

Two other planes you might look over are the SIG Hummer and the ACE Simple 400.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77586.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	540250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90413.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	540251  
Old 10-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Sneasle

Thanks Andrew. That was exactly the input I need. I want somethign less convential, but I don't have a computer radio ( But mine does have several mixing options. It might handle it?) So I guess that means the dominator.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:45 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sneasle

Thanks Andrew. That was exactly the input I need. I want somethign less convential, but I don't have a computer radio ( But mine does have several mixing options. It might handle it?) So I guess that means the dominator.
There is an old thread here somewhere about omeone's conversion of a Dominator 200 to a .15, perhaps try searching that. Apparently it was a really tight fit, and so much so that the throttle servo was mounted on the outside of the fuselage. Don't kid yourself about the size of the fuselage, it is just big enough to throw a 1/2A size firewall on the front.

I think he said it was not as fast as he had hoped.

Now, a Fora, Profi, or VA .049 on the nose might be a hoot..!

MJD

Old 10-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

( But mine does have several mixing options. It might handle it?) So I guess that means the dominator.
Sneasle --

I had my head ...... You won't need to mix for the Shrike. For whatever reason, I was thinking elevon. This setup is A/E only.

You won't be disappointed with either.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

For what its worth (not much I fear),

I had order a 1/2A Dominator to have something quick and conventional for the next "unlimited" race. I had planned to put a Norvel .074 up front (because someone said we could) BUT when the kit came and I saw that there was only room for a small 1-ounce round Sullivan take, I realized that I'd better stick with an .061 (probably an AME or WASP - neither have a home right now).
The AME runs GREAT (when I hold my mouth right). The WASP (I'm hoping) might be more friendly.

Anyway, my point was to share the information that there isn't a whole lot of tank room in there - I guess you could use a balloon tank for a little more liquid.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Sneasle

Thanks for the input guys.

I know the guy who worked on that dominator. Lives in the same apt complex with me. He threw an os cv a on the front. But your right, there want alot of room.

If my radio will fly the shrike, I might go for it then. Be nice to have a deltaish in the collection.

Thanks for the numbers on engine size and tank capacity. I prefer a bit more flight time then a 1oz would give me on that .10 .

Thanks guys.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Sneasle

So, any thoughts on the shrike?
Old 10-15-2006, 09:31 AM
rrragmanliam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the guy who worked on that dominator. Lives in the same apt complex with me. He threw an os cv a on the front. But your right, there want alot of room.
I remember that build thread by LD. If you do get a Dominator do not build it like he did. That thing was an overweight pig of a plane, I'm sure it flew terribly. There sure seems to be a lot of shoehorning of oversize engines into undersize airframes going on lately. Heavy overpowered planes do not fly better than planes with light wing loading and decent power. Forget about the Hummer and S400. The engine you have would be complete overkill for those two planes. Look for somthing in the .10-.15 range, put your .10 on that, build it as light you possibly can and you will be shocked at how well it flys. Why not try one Ulmers DNU's. You could blow the plan up with Bipeflyer's Tile Print to a size that would work well with your .10

Darren
Old 10-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Sneasle

I already built one DNU for a SS but it was a bit heavy. I plan on rebuilding 2 of them for some semi combat with friends or something like that.

I did consider blowign up the plans, but i want somethign newish.

there is a shrike for .10 size..

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXX402&P=7

thats what I was talking about.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3373247/tm.htm
This is the thread for those of you trying to catch up. It weights in a bit heavier than one might hope for a 1/2A racer, and was not as fast as I had hoped, but not so heavy as to fly badly. It flies very much like a sport .40 sized Q-500, and about the same speed in the air. This was not an effort to create a competitive racer for any circuit nor was it meant to be a light sport flier. It wan excersize in 'what if' and was a lot of fun to build and a blast to fly.
-Steve

By the way, if you're interested, I'd be willing to part with the airframe and/or engine at a very reasonable price. Only has about a half dozen flights on it.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:53 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I forgot about this thread, it was never finished! After following along, alot of us were left wondering how much it weighed, where it balanced at without ballast and details about the gear installation and flight report.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3373247/tm.htm
This is the thread for those of you trying to catch up. It weights in a bit heavier than one might hope for a 1/2A racer, and was not as fast as I had hoped, but not so heavy as to fly badly. It flies very much like a sport .40 sized Q-500, and about the same speed in the air. This was not an effort to create a competitive racer for any circuit nor was it meant to be a light sport flier. It wan excersize in 'what if' and was a lot of fun to build and a blast to fly.
-Steve

By the way, if you're interested, I'd be willing to part with the airframe and/or engine at a very reasonable price. Only has about a half dozen flights on it.
you might actually be able to talk me into that.

Thanks for the call tnight. I was drivign when I called you back so I had you on speaker phone but I could barely hear ya. So ya, sorry if my responses sounded funny.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Lomcevak Duck

I forgot about this thread, it was never finished! After following along, alot of us were left wondering how much it weighed, where it balanced at without ballast and details about the gear installation and flight report.
Well, it did sort of finish right there. I don't have a scale, but I'd guess about 30 oz. wet. With the long pipe (that went all the way down the fuselage) it balanced right on the spar without balast. The flights were pretty uneventful, the plane was stable in three axies (after I put a 1/4 oz. lead in the nose) and flew quite nicely without great difficulty. The roll rate was a bit sluggish, but the ruddervators were authoritative. The plane could easily be flown without ailerons. The flaw in the whole affair is gear installation. Having room in the fuse for only a one ounce tank, I was forced to mount the two ounce tank on the outside. (It NEEDS a bigger tank for a normal flight. At WOT it sucks a 1/2 oz of fuel every minute.) The tank and the throttle servo on the outside ruined the aesthetics of an otherwise beautiful airframe, and also probably doubled (or more) the parasitic drag. It was not as fast as I hoped, and after only a half dozen flights across two days I yanked the gear out to go on a PBF that is a blast to fly, and then on to the fastest thing I've ever owned, a Diamond Dust. The engine is awaiting me to build it a new home, and like Snease, I've considered a shrike but have never taken the time to go at it. The airframe is waiting to be sold at the next Swap meet in Perry (yearly pilgrimage for my dad and I since 1999) unless it finds a good home before that.

-Steve
Old 10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Well Steve I was concerned about the 1-ounce tank too and you confirmed it as a problem. Bummer. But I applaud you for ditching something that you tried to make work and ultimately didn't compromise for something less. I did the same thing on my last project. I just couldn't make it live up to my expectations either. Its stripped naked now and just waiting to be carried to the next local swap meet - hopefully to give to someone with whom it will fit.

You mentioned the PBF. I LOVED the three glow-powered ones I wore out over the course of a season and a half. This Summer I did my best to beat an electric FFF version to death (I'm almost ashamed to bring it to the field because it looks so bad and has so many repairs and creases - I said, "almost." Although my lekky version is nice and loads of fun - you just can't beat the smell, sound, power, and smack-in-the-pants performance of a glow 2-stroke engine. Ah, good times, good times.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Sneasle

Ya'll refering to a Pizza Box Flyer (PBF?) Or somethign along those lines? hehe, sounds like a handful...

Hey Steve, how about we each get a shrike and build em at the same time, hows that sound?

you stick your os cva on yours, and I'll throw either the .10 or the la.15 on mine.. hehe.

Speaking of which, Under the assumption I get the crashed mini funtana in my possesion flight worthy without adding much weight with the repair, which engine would be better suited for it?
Old 10-17-2006, 05:31 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the "debriefing", LD. I think this plane could go the route of your typical streamliners, with an upright mounted engine, 4 oz tank and cowled upper half of the fuselage. At what point does a kit bash become more work than a scratch build though? With a .15 and 2 servos, even with a cowled front end, I see no reason why it should weigh more than 26 ozs. I've built larger .15 sized speedsters that weighed as much.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:52 AM
flyswatter

Sneasle, I built the 1/2A Dominator about 7-8 months ago with the conventional tail. I left off the two outboard panels. It flys well with a black widow, but the construction is a little heavy (weighs in at 12oz rtf) and it was not as quick as I would have liked for the NC Reedie Races. I am sure that a TD or a Norvel would improve its performance - just haven't gotten to it yet. Right now, because of all my current building projects, it is designated for the Perry sale table.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

I "found" a 1/2A Shrike kit I forgot I had (I have GOT to finish my workshop!) I don't think I'd put any bigger than a WASP .061 (with throttle) or the Brodak .049 (wo throttle) that I have no idea with to do with. So, I will be keeping an eye on youse, vatching you verrry klosely, to zee how you vell das built goes.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Lomcevak Duck

CP: it may very well weight less than my guess, or for that matter more. I don't have any kind of reliable scale so it could be anywhere between 10 and 40oz. I just guessed at 30oz because it felt like a nice round number, and I know it weighs a bit less than one of my spare O.S. 1.60FXs which is 37oz.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Lomcevak Duck

Two shrikes built by guys that know each other and live near a club...

I SMELL COMBAT AND RACES!!!
Your on, snease.

Not to hijack the thread, but do you guys think 1/2a shrike or .10 shrike?

Speaking of which, Under the assumption I get the crashed mini funtana in my possesion flight worthy without adding much weight with the repair, which engine would be better suited for it?
Sorry, I can't help you there. I don't know anything about that plane.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:13 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AXI 2808/20, APC 9x3.8SF, 3S1P 2100 mAh LiPoly - unlimited vertical, lots of flight time and twice as much oomph as the stock one I flew beside.

OMIGOSH - what am I saying?? Wrong forum.. "Run Forrest, run!" [X(]

MJD
Old 10-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

Two shrikes built by guys that know each other and live near a club...

I SMELL COMBAT AND RACES!!!
Your on, snease.

Not to hijack the thread, but do you guys think 1/2a shrike or .10 shrike?

Sorry, I can't help you there. I don't know anything about that plane.
sounds good to me. Still not sure which would be the best route, .10 or .15.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.