Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel .25?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Sneasle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel .25?

I am thinking about picking this up this weekend. One of the local shops had one last time I was there.

I know they aren't 1/2a, but not many people outside of this forum know the Norvels. Any one here had any experience with them?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:33 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Norvel .25?

Hi Sneasle,

It's a good engine but as of now Norvel is essentialy out of business. Getting parts in the future will probably be a problem.

Darren
Old 10-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Sneasle

ok. I shall see then. I am headed to the LHS in Selms because the gentleman that owns it is having a mini fly in/bbq and is puttign osme inventory out at 50% off. Maybe if I am lucky he might put it out.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Sneasle --

I agree with Darren -- the .15 and .25 are great engines. The .15, .25 and .40 come in AME and Big Mig versions. The Big Migs are bushed with airbleed carbs and the AME's are ball bearing with dual needle carbs. Once broken in, they give one or two flip starts.

The newer models require a special wrench to remove the head button. I've read that some golf cleat wrenches will also work.

I have several, but like Darren, I'm not optimistic about getting parts if something breaks or wears out. The prop shaft is a replacable stud that can be bent or broken in a hard dirt nap, although someone with basic lathe or threading skills could make one. Other parts are pretty much OEM.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A buddy has the BigMig .25. Just like all the other Norvels, it has an excellent power to weight ratio.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Sneasle

Ok, thansk guys. If he has it marked down I will pick it up. If not, then it doesn't seem like it would be worth my trouble..

Maybe I'll get it and hope I have flown the crap out of it before something breaks..