Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Electric Minis...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Minis...

This may require more detail to fully answer, but are there possibly any very small kits suitable for a small brushless motor and 11.1v 1100mah lipo pack which any could recommend?

Here is the situation...my buddy purchased one of those Hydro Foams (aka pieces of crap), and the thing broke within 10 seconds of its initial flight. I fixed it, then tried it myself, and crashed it again. The wind was just throwing this thing around, and I could not fly it level whatsoever. My fault I assume as I'm not too experienced, but I'd like to use the motor/batt/electronics from this in a slightly more stable, less erratic mini aircraft. He is basically giving the thing to me since he doesn't believe he'll ever fly it correctly.

Are there any cheap kits which this small mini-servo'd setup could be switched over to possibly? If you need pictures of anything, I can provide them. The motor mounts by its shaft mount in the rear center, different looking if you ask me.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:59 AM
KidEpoxy

Default RE: Electric Minis...

The basic answer is: Yes.

What kind of kit are you looking for?
Wood kit?
Stryro molded?
flat foam profile?

Are you looking for a "First Plane" kind of trainer? or a performance plane or a "look"
Looking for something you can fix, fix, & fix again?
Could you build from just plans, & cut the peices from sheet & sticks?
Old 10-20-2006, 06:23 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good candidate for a GWS foamie plane, maybe a Pico Stick...Rog
Old 10-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Matt_M

I mainly wanted something quickly assembled, and easily flown. This hydro foam was erratic under less than half throttle with little wind. It seemed crazy to me, not like a normal plane. You pulled up slightly and it shot upwards, gently down and it would nose dive.

The Glow Stick looks interesting. I'm just looking at the motor attachment though, it looks like the prop is driven by a belt or gear maybe (not direct on motor)? This motor I have mounts at the end of a pole on one screw, possible to adapt this?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:40 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Matt M,

Could you give us a little more info on the motor? There are plenty of good choices, but we need an approximation of the power this motor puts out. I'm assuming it's roughly a "300" class ourtunner type motor, and probably turns a big ol' slowflyer prop, like 11x5, or something close, maybe like 50 to 75 watts? If I'm in the ballpark, you would do well with any of the GWS kits, like the Estarter, the Beaver(you'd probably have to add a little reinforcing), the Slow Stick, or if your skills are up to it, one of their warbirds. There are any number of laser cut kits from Stevens Aero, Mountain Models, and probably a few from Early R/C that you could put that motor on too.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Matt_M

I mainly wanted something quickly assembled, and easily flown. This hydro foam was erratic under less than half throttle with little wind. It seemed crazy to me, not like a normal plane. You pulled up slightly and it shot upwards, gently down and it would nose dive.

The Glow Stick looks interesting. I'm just looking at the motor attachment though, it looks like the prop is driven by a belt or gear maybe (not direct on motor)? This motor I have mounts at the end of a pole on one screw, possible to adapt this?
If it mounts on the end of a 1cm square stick, then it will fit directly to the Slow Stick and many of the other park flier aircraft. It is a somewhat standard mounting arrangment these days, which if I am not mistaken originated with GWS. But as mentioned you should detail the stuff you have for accurate recommendations.

MJD
Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 PM
KidEpoxy

I too would say off hand that the GWS E-Starter would make a good first plane, the move to the Formosa before trying a warbird.... I had the Messerschmit and it was a pain to fly before I got good thumbs.

The real benefit of the foamie is that you can fix it at the field with 5minute epoxy most times, hence my catch phrase
Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 PM
rainedave

Matt, is this what you're talking about?

http://www.hobbytron.com/HydroFoam.html