Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Bob don't need no stinkin' stick . .

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Bob don't need no stinkin' stick . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:05 AM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bob don't need no stinkin' stick . .

My flying buddy Bob excells in finding model airplane uses for items designed and intended for something else.

We use all sorts of things for building and flying that he "discovered" at Lowe's, the auto supply house, or the bowling alley.

When fibreglass and carbon fiber props became the norm in CL Combat folks had to start using a stick, a piece of hose, or a glove to crank the engine. Otherwise, you were going to get a finger cut sometime during the flying session. Up to that time most of the flyers started the engine bare fingered. " I can't 'feel' the engine with a stick" was the common explanation. But, when the sharp props came along we same folks discovered it was equally difficult to 'feel' the engine through the bandages.

But a stick was clumbersome and a glove made other tasks too hard to do. So Bob found some finger grips that bowlers use for some unknown reason that work just great, save fingers from cuts and bumps, and are quick to don and remove.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38046.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	546459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52652.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	546460  
Old 10-23-2006, 11:12 AM
brED

Default RE: Bob don't need no stinkin' stick . .

Hi,
Thats a smart idea. my mom used to work at an orthodontics lab and used a similar device on her fingers. they were supposed to spare the finger if it got caught in a huge grinder they had for shaping mouth castings. I ended up stealing a pair [8D].
Old 10-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your local bank might give you a couple or you could shop at most any office supply store for [link=http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/g5728.html]rubber fingers[/link].
Old 10-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Larry Driskill

Bob bought ours at a bowling alley and I found them online by searching 'turbo finger grips'.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001DLUE6
Old 10-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

SLEC in the UK makes finger guards, although they may be better suited for larger models.

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemi...ry=080-010-130
Old 10-23-2006, 05:43 PM
small_rcer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ace R/C used to list similar finger guards in their catalogue. Have one or two that I still use when I use APC props.

Jim H
Old 10-23-2006, 09:10 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In High School, if you didn't have a Hurst shifter for your 4 speed tranny, you just weren't gonna amount to anything. One guy in our gang went in 50/50 with his Mom and got a 6 cylinder Dodge Dart with an automatic transmission, which was bad enough, but what was so gut busting funny about it was the push button shift on the dash board. To make matters worse, we presented him with a sewing thimble for his shifting finger that had HURST written on the side.