Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

My Latest

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:40 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Latest

Hello

Here are a couple of picks of my latest. 17” span, 88 squares, three channel A,E,T stick. Engine is a TD .020 with a Skaliwag piston, liner, throttle ring set up. Other components are a internal tank made from an eyedropper bottle, 4.8 120 mA NiMH battery, and 3.7g servos. Weight came out at 4.1oz. according to the scale at the post office. Going to give her a go tomorrow if the weather holds.

1st pick is my thought of using a .074 Novel as “too much engine / not enough airframe” seems to be the trend these days but I think it’ll already be a rocket at 4 oz with the .020.

Buy the way I have used Skaliwag’s throttle rings on both the .010 and .020 Cox TD’s and I just can’t say enough about them. Super high quality and they work great!

Rrragman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47995.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	547363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47512.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	547364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54863.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	547365  
Old 10-24-2006, 06:42 PM
flyinrog

Default RE: My Latest

Looks Great!! so how does it fly?..Rog
Old 10-24-2006, 07:00 PM
hfenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like my Radical R/C Micro Stick. I have the Bipe version kit and and considering going glow on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30859.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	547421  
Old 10-24-2006, 08:28 PM
rrragmanliam

hfenn,

Yup that's what it is. I also had one with a .010 on it that flew great. With the right gear this is a quick and easy and cheap way to get your .010 or .020 in the air. I didn't have any of the E gear other than the SC so I went glow.

Is that a "Mousetang" plan you have on the board? I've thought about building one of those. Are you building It?

Darren

Old 10-24-2006, 09:55 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Beautiful job, Darren! If you got a good running .020, that plane should be a ton of fun!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:30 PM
rainedave

That's very cool. I like the low AR wing and short tail moment. In a good way it's almost caricaturish.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:42 AM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam
hfenn,
Is that a "Mousetang" plan you have on the board? I've thought about building one of those. Are you building It?
Darren
Yes it is a "Mousetang". I saw one at the Toledo show in the mid 80's and thought it was the neatest looking little thing (I almost said cat's meow, lol). With lighter airborne R/C avaiable it should fly great. Unfortunately, the plan is now under that cutting mat, but it is in the "someday" lineup.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:50 PM
digital_trucker

I had a Mousetang I built from a kit - didn't last past it's maiden flight. It was built exactly according to plans and balanced where it was s'posed to. I suspect it may have indeed been tail-heavy despite what the plans said, or perhaps the incidence angles were wrong (again, built to plans). Just a word to the wise, I'd suggest double-checking everything and maybe not taking the plans as gospel. I'm sure that set up properly, it'd be a hot nimble plane. It's been a couple of decades, so I forget if it was an undercambered wing or flat-bottom - either way it'd probably be a better choice to go with at least a semi-symmetrical airfoil.

As an aside I frankensteined a Papillon with the tailfeathers from the Mousetang. The Papillon's tail was way too soft and flexible, but the 'stang tail was a perfect match. I got a lot airtime out of that Papillon. I need to find a set of plans for itone of these days.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:42 PM
hfenn

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker
As an aside I frankensteined a Papillon with the tailfeathers from the Mousetang. The Papillon's tail was way too soft and flexible, but the 'stang tail was a perfect match. I got a lot airtime out of that Papillon. I need to find a set of plans for itone of these days.
Dave Fritzke has the Papillon on his page now.

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/index.html

Old 10-26-2006, 06:09 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

The Minnie Mousetang is on my to-build list too - I have the original plans from that short-lived RCSportsman tabloid and a kit stashed away (too little time darnit). The "banana" airfoil (that's what Ken Willard called it I believe) is what caught my eye to begin with. Isn't it the same airfoil that's one the Showmaster? Anyway, when I built one of those wings way-back-when I still and used tissue for covering on little airplanes I did not get an even "stick" to the undercambered ribs when I water-shrunk the wing (top and bottom at the same time - pinned down to prevent/minimize warps). Not only did it look awful but I think it would have flown awful too. Undercambered ribs cry out (to me anyway) for cap strips. Every time I look at the Minnie Mousetang plans I think that 1/32 x 1/8 caps top and bottom would be the cat pajamas (23 skiddoo). AND since I now use laminating film almost exclusively, I would not have a second's concern about un-sticked undercambered ribs.

I think I'd go for the Showmaster first.

Bobhh or Bailey, can you hear me? This is Raymond calling from 'beyond' (woooo wooo, clank, clank). Did either of youse have experience with the banana airfoil? This is the voice from beyond signing off. Woooo woooo.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:20 PM
rrragmanliam

Hello,

Well I finally flew this thing today. I tried last saturday but had a battery issue. This thing flew exactly like it looks like it would "very squirley". I did a couple of test glides and made some adjustments, then fired her up and went for it.

The first flight required some "extra concentration". I had way too much elevator throw and didn't have any duel rates or expo mixed in so the plane was a bit twichy. I made a few trim passes and then flew around for a bit and brought her in. I decreased the elevator throw by about 70% and put some expo in for the second flight and it was a much better plane. The CG is just a touch reward of the recomenderd ballance piont and you could tell it was. I've got about an inch of room for forward movment with the battery pack in the nose so I'll do that to get the CG forward. I think she will fly great then. The TD .020 has more than enough power. This little guy really does have unlimited vertical at WOT and is FAST! It's also a very nice easy cruzer at about 1/3 throttle. Skaliwag's throttle sleeve worked great and I got about 9 min. flight times before the tank ran dry. I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm going to make the CG adjustments and try again tommarow morning if our weather holds.

Darren