Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

VINETIAN BLIND

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Ed Sidders
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VINETIAN BLIND

Does anyone remember the Venetian Blind airplane published during the early 50's in either Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazine ? Sure would like to build another one ,have Wen Mac motor from first one Just need plans. Thanks Ed
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 PM
SGC

Default RE: VINETIAN BLIND

Ed,
Is this it , The "Slats", if so PM me your email addres and I'll send you a PDF of the plan.
Stewart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27365.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	548168  
Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy smokes!

Just when you've think you have seen it all. What an iteresting/ cool plane, anyone built one of these things?

How about some "slat combat" kind of rolls off the toung doesn't it!

Rrragman
Old 10-25-2006, 10:56 PM
fritzke

For the record, it was in the August 1955 Popular Science and was designed by none other than Roy Colugh.
The Article was written by James Webb however.
Dave
Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 PM
rrragmanliam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roy Colugh, Ken Willard, Fred Reese, Nick Ziroli, Charles Mackey, Who hasn't bulit or flown one of these guy's designs!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:30 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

I'd add Earl Cayton to that list ("B" list, see below). I particularly enjoyed his Balsaurus HLG.

Actually, I have two lists; let's call them the "A" list and the "B" list. "A"-listers are guys whose designs almost immediately transfer to the "to build" list. Ken Willard and Fred Reese and Aberle and Dick Sarpolus (darnit I think I mispelled his name) are among the toppers on that list. Membership in the "A" list is also supported by evidence that these people "work" on a design to get it right before exposing themselves to the world (no, I don't mean the kind of "exposing" that involves a raincoat and kneesocks - jeeze youse guys). Dan Santich with the HOTS is my yardstick there.

The "B" list covers those talented guys who push at the sides of the box (or sometimes kick it out entirely). They produce plans and articles that are great fun to ponder and maybe even build one once in a while. Clough, Laumer, Malmstrom hang out there for me.

I'm gonna tread on a landmine here, let's see if it goes off in my face. There's a special category for clever people who came up with a good innovation - let's say a flying wing whose 'special' thing is an airfoil with a forward high-point and a nose-heavy CG. The problem is that you see this same design in the magazines over and over and over. The size changes and there is an occassional variation. I remember one glider and one for the TD .020 but all the others are cookie-cutters. Two things give me an itch; The guy obviously has talent and energy - do something else with these gifts, and why do the magazines (actually one of them is now deceased) run these clones over and over?

The magazines must have plenty of designs to publish because I don't see any evidence that they encourage new submissions. And since they charge what I consider a LOT of money for a set of plans (like $25 per sheet!), this also tells me that publishers are happy with the status quo. Yes, I could be wrong - but we all know how unlikely THAT scenario is - ME wrong, heh heh heh.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:31 AM
fritzke

Ray,
I'd bet that the mags don't get many submissions, or the ones they get are so far below publishing standards they may as well do it from scratch themselves.
AND judging by the content of most mags these days (Flying Models and Model Aviation excepted), construction articles are a non issue, sales-wise.
Perhaps they have just given up on getting decent freelance articles. I know I have a couple I have been meaning to do for years now...managed to do one for FM though.
You can probably assemble, test and write a review of an ARF in less than a month. How long would it take to design, build, test, tweak, and build #2 from the plans,
test, then write a construction article with pictures? How did guys like Walt Mooney, Randy Randolph and Walt Musciano do so many I wonder?
I guess it's up to us, boys.

Dave

PS I think Mr Evans designed the Silent Squire (RCM/Midwest kit) and a few other non-Simitar planes way back.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Yeah Dave, I had my tongue in my cheek when I wrote that. Just watching the models people in my club bring to the field anymore, I can see the reality of the fact why the magazines print what they do - in a word - ARF!

I have a model that took me two Winters to finish just seven or eight years ago (lots of overtime and 4-hours on the road every day, whew what madness). I would never start that project now given what I can buy ready-made for less than I could "save" by scratch-building.

Well, I know what our beloved politicians have said is the answer, "send more American jobs overseas to cheap labor!" That way, those taxpayers with jobs can send more to the candidate of their choice and still have money left over for a hobby. See, its simple isn't it?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:55 PM
fritzke

Ray,
I'll vote for you if you promise to end the Norvell trade embargo.

Dave
Old 10-29-2006, 10:54 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I saw the topic of venitian blind, I thought it would be about Roy Clough's Venitian Blind Free Flight model from a 1950s Mechanix Illustrated. I didn't know about this control line version.

Did Roy ever design a "Normal" plane?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Ed Sidders

Thanks to Stewart I have a PDF file of the controlline version which was the one I was really interested in and wanted to recreate after 50 + years in model airplanes. I've entertained the thought of a slightly enlarged R/C version. Add some dihedral,extend the vertical stab and add rudder should do it for 3 channel use. Do you have info on the free flight version ? Thanks Ed
Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 AM
50+AirYears

Ive got a clipping or copy of the magazine article buried somewhere in a box in my attic. If I recall, it was powered by one of the old Spitzy .045 engines that had a tank hanging under the crankcase. Almost as much power as a Pee Wee .020. It would probably need to be scaled up to use for RC. I only have about 15 boxes of photocopies and clippings. Beter than having the full magazines saved for the same info.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:52 PM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

ORIGINAL: fritzke

Ray,
I'd bet that the mags don't get many submissions, or the ones they get are so far below publishing standards they may as well do it from scratch themselves.
AND judging by the content of most mags these days (Flying Models and Model Aviation excepted), construction articles are a non issue, sales-wise.
Perhaps they have just given up on getting decent freelance articles. I know I have a couple I have been meaning to do for years now...managed to do one for FM though.
You can probably assemble, test and write a review of an ARF in less than a month. How long would it take to design, build, test, tweak, and build #2 from the plans,
test, then write a construction article with pictures? How did guys like Walt Mooney, Randy Randolph and Walt Musciano do so many I wonder?
I guess it's up to us, boys.

Interestingly those are the two model mags that I subscribe to and for the reason that they still have a focus on construction.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

I subscribe to the British magazine R/C Model World. One reason is the full size plans that accompany construction articles every month. Other "over there" magazines do the same thing (I wish I could afford them but airmail subscriptions are all that's offered). Does this mean that European modelers are more creative than us Norte Americanos? Have we abandoned creativity in favor of ARF-ing because we have too much disposable income or too little spare time? Any opinions?

FWIW I'd swap Model Aviation for RCM&E in a heartbeat but Flying Models is the best - and I like Fly R/C (for the electrics) too.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 AM
50+AirYears

I get my RC Model World at a Border's Books about 15 miles from my house. Love the full size plans from them and Flying Scale Modeler magazine. Wish I could findmore Aviation Modeler International. I still have a number of older Flying Models magazines when the plans were usually something like 1/4" = 1" or some easy fraction for scaling up, and they had full-sized patterns for ribs, formers, and other parts. I've built a number of planes from them.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Yes 50+ (I'm 48+ modelling years myself), I am keeping all my old FMs, MBs, AAMs, and Aeromodelers intact. All others get select pages removed and the rest recycled.

Alas, I live 2-ish hours away from the nearest "real" hobby shops (King and Archdale, NC). So its a rare treat for me to venture out among the commuters.

Is AMI still half CL?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:52 AM
50+AirYears

I haven't seen a new AMI since about the April 2006 issue. They might have joined RCM. I think I have all but a few of their issues. Especially interesting was the two-parter on setting up CL planes to roll without rolling up the lines.

I tried saving all my plane mags, but space available and age have taken their tole, so I have just been trying to save copies of pertinent articles. About the saddest part of this, was that in 1991, I wanted to send a copy of a particular magazine page to MA far possible use on a certain anniversary. The caption on one particular photo was that "With planes like this, no one would dare attack us". Plane was a B-17 B. Mag was Air Trails. Issue Date was December, 1941. When I pulled out the mag, the cover and several pages, including the one I wanted, had either disintegrated or became mouse nest material.

Oh, well. A lot of people and groups have been electroniclly archiving this type of material. Problem is, as NASA did, The E-Archives are not transferred to newer media when new stuff comes out, then the records are still lost when the archivists find out the old media is not compatible with newer equipment, and compatible hardware is no longer available.

In about another year and a half, I might change my moniker to 60+. Trouble with all that experience, my arm and shoulder are loosing their touch with the competition hand-launch gliders, and the legs don't want to co-operate with the A-1 and A-2 Nordik tow liners any more.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

50+,

I can sure identify with limiting HLG tossing and FF retrieving due to the ravages of time. In the spirit of wishful thinking, I hope that the new discus HLG (FF not R/C) might make launching a non-painful reality again.

But in the meantime I have a couple boxes of Rapier motors that I want to 'burn' now that the crops are out of the fields around our club's field. Ah, good times, good times.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 AM
goirish

Hey Ed Sidders
I built that model with the wing slats and I am trying to convert it to RC. Any idea how to put ailerons on this buggy.
Gene

you were right it was published in Popular Science 1955.

Name:	Xv64281.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	817536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38787.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	817537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91977.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	817538  
Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 AM
goirish

Hope you get the pictures OK
Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 AM
50+AirYears

Use the last (Trailing edge?) slat, cut it free, with small stubs at the tip and center section, use some music wire secured to the leading edge at the corners for pin-type hinges, and use regular control horns and push rods?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:46 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering the theory on how the plane is supposed to fly, I'm not sure you will get much effect from Ailerons. Let us know how it works out.

George
Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM
goirish

I will probably be too afraid to video the maiden? I'll just report verbally--that way I can tell you how great it flew. hahaha
Old 12-05-2007, 08:10 PM
goirish

Here are some pics of the ailerons. If you think this will work, where do I put the servo.

Name:	Db84154.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	819378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25608.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	819379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80201.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	819380  
Old 03-26-2008, 07:37 AM
goirish

We are getting close to putting this puppy in the air. Servos are mounted. Ailerons working. Brushless motor. Will post a video if it flys. If it don't I won't post the video. See how brave I am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.