Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ace Ultimate Bipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:34 PM
BSARGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace Ultimate Bipe

While waiting on my motor mount for my 1/2a shrike, I decided to keep working on an Ace Ultimate Bipe that BanjoAirplane gave me....I have never worked with or covered foam before....can someone suggest a decent brand of covering for foam, or any tips for covering it??

thanks
-Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47777.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	550669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25255.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	550670  
Old 10-29-2006, 05:42 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Ace Ultimate Bipe

Econokote has always worked OK for me. Be very carful when covering over bare foam as it is easy to get your iron too hot and melt the wing.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:28 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it with monocote on low temp,been awhile though ,I just found my hobbico iron has started to creep up the temp control while I'm using it, last night while covering the shrike after a short time the knob would be all the way up! and melted some of my covering....Rog
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Econokote is advertised as a low temp covering. It is really hard to do a perfect job over foam, even harder to keep it looking good. That tinted cellophane that I use is very low temp and very cheap.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:03 PM
rrragmanliam

Bill,

I've had good results on Ace foam Wings with econocoat, I've had better results with Micro lite covering. With both you just need to be sure to turn the iron temp down. I like the micro light better as it's lighter and covers curved surfaces and wing tips with better looking results. Be sure to lightly sand the bumps off the wings.

Darren
Old 10-29-2006, 09:52 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Econokote is advertised as a low temp covering. It is really hard to do a perfect job over foam, even harder to keep it looking good. That tinted cellophane that I use is very low temp and very cheap.
Hey CP what is this trick, what do you use for adhesive on the tinted cellophane? and where do you get it.?..Rog
Old 10-29-2006, 11:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Rog, you can find the cellophane at craft stores, or possibly type in "tinted cellophane" on a google search. I use 3M77 to give it some stickyness. Walmart carries a spray adhesive that also works.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:32 PM
flyinrog

okay do you still iron it after applying the glue?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:06 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The best covering for foam is balsa. My ACE Simple Ultimate had sheeted wings and it flew great.

For covering directly over foam I've used Ultracote, Monokote and Towerkote. Towerkote worked the best. Just remember that you can't do any shrinking, just cover it. Packing tape works too, but it looks horrible. The finish wont be too great regardless of what covering you use directly over foam. Seriously, consider sheeting the wings with 1/32" balsa. You can either fully sheet them or do a LE, TE and cap strips. I've attached a couple pictures to show what I mean by doing cap strips on foam - it creates a really nice effect.

Name:	Jh14780.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	551158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26651.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	551159  
Old 10-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Laminating film. Balsa edges.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

Seriously, consider sheeting the wings with 1/32" balsa. You can either fully sheet them or do a LE, TE and cap strips.
This approach is, IMHO, the best when using shrink film and foam wings. I've tried packing tape, painting with a slurry of ultra-light spackle to fill the voids, coveringwith .5 oz cloth and WBP and covering directly over the foam -- the sheet/cap strip works the best, adds little weight and provides strength. The cap strips lift the plastic off the foam and you get a clean, tight covering. Once the edges are tacked, you may want to use your heat gun from the bottom side so the film does not sag down and stick to the foam.

I first tried this in '76 with a 1/2A SST and have found nothing really better.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:14 AM
flyinrog

Thats a great idea Bipe, I dont have any 1/32 sheet but I do have 1/16th and could do the LE TE with ribs for effect...I have the ultimate too but am working on other projects at the moment...Rog
Old 10-30-2006, 11:06 AM
hfenn

I get excellent results with TowerKote. Get some kind of thermometer to check your iron's temp. The TowerKote works and sticks well at temps that won't melt the foam (but avoid holding the iron on one spot for very long).
Old 10-30-2006, 12:10 PM
eroc144

Is foam dope-proof? If so then silkspan / koverite and dope could be a good option.

EG
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: eroc144

Is foam dope-proof?
As in the person working with it or the product being applied?

Nothing helps in the first case! For the second part, the solvents in butyrate and nitrate dopes will dissolve most beaded foam.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:38 PM
BSARGE

The best covering for foam is balsa. My ACE Simple Ultimate had sheeted wings and it flew great.

For covering directly over foam I've used Ultracote, Monokote and Towerkote. Towerkote worked the best. Just remember that you can't do any shrinking, just cover it. Packing tape works too, but it looks horrible. The finish wont be too great regardless of what covering you use directly over foam. Seriously, consider sheeting the wings with 1/32" balsa. You can either fully sheet them or do a LE, TE and cap strips. I've attached a couple pictures to show what I mean by doing cap strips on foam - it creates a really nice effect.

I like this idea! I think I will try it.....thanks for the tip! The instructions say to put strapping tape on each wing from tip to tip for added strength....if I do the sheeting do you think I still need to put the strapping tape on?

Raymond- What is laminating film? I have never heard of it.....

-Bill
Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Bipe Flyer

No, you wont need the strapping tape. Start by wetting a piece of soft 1/32" X 4" balsa. I use a little spray bottle to make it damp. Carefully roll the balsa back and forth until it is a U shape like the LE of the wing. Use a few elastics to hold the shape until it dries (not on the wing yet) - you can use heat gun if you're impatient, like me. Make sure that the foam has been sanded smooth and vacuumed clean then spray the inside with 3M77 and apply to the wing. Be careful, because it will stick as soon as it touches and you wont be able to reposition it. Glue on the TE, and cap strips and you're done. If you fully sheet it is actually easier, but it is extra weight. I've attached pictures so you can see how the balsa wraps around the LE.

Name:	Xv62992.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	551454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30234.gif
Views:	27
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	551455  
Old 10-30-2006, 10:11 PM
rrragmanliam

Hi Bipe

The outstanding quality and finish of your builds leaves no doubt that your sheeting method with foam is superior. There is a lot to be said however for the simplicity of just covering over the foam with film. Here are pics of an Ace Simple 400 covered with Econocoat and a Simple Extra covered with Microlite. They came out ok. The picture of the Extra is after 30+ flights. The 400 was distroyed due to pilot error after many flights.

Darren

Name:	Zw69375.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	551577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78474.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	551578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28102.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	551579  
Old 10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Bipe Flyer

True, and when it's in the air, who will know the difference? I prefer the sheeting for looks and because it stands up better. The ACE wings were designed strong enough to not need sheeting, which is why I don't use them anymore and why I make my own cores that weigh about 1/3 as much, but they need to be sheeted for strength.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:19 PM
rrragmanliam

Bipe,

I was going to mention in my last post, but forgot, that you do make your own foam wing cores and that the are are a far cry from the old/new heavy Ace foam cores. At 1/3 the weight and the same strength I would build them that way too, if I had the means to do so. Someday I'll delve into the 'Wire Cutters World" but I don't have the tools or skills to build wings in that way yet.

Darren
Old 10-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Bipe Flyer

They're not as strong before they're sheeted. After sheeting they're probably more than 1/2 the weight of the ACE wings, but then they're much stronger than the ACE ones.

I sheeted the ACE wings when I used them though. Just personal preference. My wife's Firefly has an ACE wing with LE and cap strips.

Here's a pic of my ACE Simple Ultimate. Sorry it's not the best picture. The son of a friend of mine has it now.

Name:	Pn37418.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	551618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71339.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	551619  
Old 10-30-2006, 11:55 PM
rrragmanliam

Hi Bipe,

I understood what you were saying in regards to the strenght being "post sheeting". 1/2 the weight and stronger, what more could you ask for!

Darren
Old 11-30-2007, 12:42 PM
iflyg450

Might be a very dumb question, BUT where does the W6,W5, W4A and B. Please help!
Old 11-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Bipe Flyer

I've looked over the plan and I can't find what you're talking about.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:08 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

No, you wont need the strapping tape. Start by wetting a piece of soft 1/32" X 4" balsa. I use a little spray bottle to make it damp. Carefully roll the balsa back and forth until it is a U shape like the LE of the wing. Use a few elastics to hold the shape until it dries (not on the wing yet) - you can use heat gun if you're impatient, like me. Make sure that the foam has been sanded smooth and vacuumed clean then spray the inside with 3M77 and apply to the wing. Be careful, because it will stick as soon as it touches and you wont be able to reposition it. Glue on the TE, and cap strips and you're done. If you fully sheet it is actually easier, but it is extra weight. I've attached pictures so you can see how the balsa wraps around the LE.
Wow - that is slick. Do you cut your own foam blanks?

Been pondering trying this by building a cutter. and using with the templates

somegeek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.