Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New AirHog

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:46 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New AirHog

toy, its the craze from a year ago with the boat that runs on land and water and then takes off flying?!..I saw the commercial the other night..went to wallyworld today but they dont have them out yet..you guys seen it yet?...there is another toy at WM that looks like a swamp boat that is supposed to fly but I never heard of the manuf..Rog
Old 10-30-2006, 06:45 AM
propbuster

Default RE: New AirHog

I've seen them on Ebay and also the Aero Ace "Jet" but not in the stores around me yet. The "Jet" looks like it's got the same motors and electronics as the original Aero Ace Bipe and might be worth checking out, but the boat/plane thing is kind of pricey.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a jet-ish looking, twin-pusher motor Air Hogs "r/c model plane" at Target recently. The box says (implies?) that there are three grades, beginner, intermediate, and pro versions. They have the beginner version only on the shelves. I, of course, would be aligned with the "pro" variety. I asked the friendly person who was stocking the shelves if she knew of any other versions that might be coming in. A dull stare was my response. What was I thinking?

I tried to find anything more about it via Google but the websites I found via "air hogs" and "aero aces" were not productive.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:36 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

41.5 flies the aero ace jet.
Try Target.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: propbuster

I've seen them on Ebay and also the Aero Ace "Jet" but not in the stores around me yet. The "Jet" looks like it's got the same motors and electronics as the original Aero Ace Bipe and might be worth checking out, but the boat/plane thing is kind of pricey.
What is pricey in Black Mountain?,,my aeroace is charging right now, and it is still a great investment as far as I am concerned...the commercial I saw was short but it looked like it only had 1 motor on it....so more radio stuff would mean more $.....my wm said they just had 20 pallets of toys come in so it may be on the shelf in a few days...Rog
Old 10-30-2006, 10:39 AM
vicman

What is pricey in Black Mountain?,,
The Target ad yesterday had it priced at $69 and you still had to get a $29 battery. I think I can do a little better with FFF and some stuff laying around the shop.[:-]
Old 10-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

This may be a great item, and then again it may not...

Air Hogs does not make all (or even any?) of the items that are sold under their lable. (I am under the impression that they are a marketing company only, but I am not absolutely certain of this.) When I have found them cheap on a "close out sale", I have succumbed to a number of their planes over the years with varying levels of success. Most are barely flyable junk. On the other hand, the Aero Ace biplane (with the minor mods of removing the bottom wing and adding the diodes to the transmitter) is a fantastic flyer and an unbelievable bargain at around $30.

Arlen
Old 10-30-2006, 12:18 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silvaire
I have sucumbed to a number of their planes over the years with varying levels of success. Most are barely flyable junk. On the other hand, the Aero Ace biplane (with the minor mods of removing the bottom wing and adding the diodes to the transmitter) is a
Arlen
Very very true - so much of their stuff is absolute garbage. I wonder how much flight testing their products get, in production version that is? Problem is, this cheap crap turns people off. I wonder how many parents thought their kids might get a kick out of an airplane, bought them one of the AirHog or Radio Shack pieces of crap in all good faith, then watched the kids struggle and give up because the product totally sucks.

MJD
Old 10-30-2006, 12:45 PM
propbuster

ORIGINAL: vicman

The Target ad yesterday had it priced at $69 and you still had to get a $29 battery. I think I can do a little better with FFF and some stuff laying around the shop.[:-]

They are going for around $130 on Ebay and I guess The Target price is a little better but still, like Vic said, I think I could do a lot better building a "lecky" from scratch for the money. The original Aero Ace Bipe was still the most fun I've had for $40 (untill the angry wind Gods took it away!)

Old 10-30-2006, 08:23 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: propbuster

They are going for around $130 on Ebay and I guess The Target price is a little better but still, like Vic said, I think I could do a lot better building a "lecky" from scratch for the money. The original Aero Ace Bipe was still the most fun I've had for $40 (untill the angry wind Gods took it away!)

Oh that is a bit pricey in Burlington too!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:37 PM
vicman

[>:] I guess that will be enough mountain peep jokes from the flatlander crowd!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

"I wonder how many parents thought their kids might get a kick out of an airplane, bought them one of the AirHog or Radio Shack pieces of crap in all good faith, then watched the kids struggle and give up because the product totally sucks." Hmmm, deja vu.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:28 AM
flyinrog

[>:] I guess that will be enough mountain peep jokes from the flatlander crowd!
Hey we got a mountain here!..Its Bass Mountain and its a huge blue grass festival yearly, you can see it from the Snow Camp field , Oh yeah and Cane Mountain too , this is piedmont country, the flatlands dont start till the other side of Raleigh....Rog
Old 10-31-2006, 09:59 AM
small_rcer

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

I tried to find anything more about it via Google but the websites I found via "air hogs" and "aero aces" were not productive.

Try www.spinmaster.com and select spinmaster and then products

Jim H
Old 10-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Yo Sml-RCer,

Thanks for the pointer to the videos. I think I will just stick to my Aero Aces and FFF quickie/cheapies.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:46 AM
flyinrog

Yep, saw one at target $100 for a toy lecky is a bit much, looks like fun but not that much fun, its a smaller version of the craze from last year that you never see anymore....Rog
Old 11-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

. . . that you never see anymore....Rog
Rog, I had my "c" Aero Ace out last night - in the dark - under parking lot lights (it got cold). I still love 'em. But you're right. You don't see them mentioned anymore. Heck if your can get 4-times more money for something not too much more expensive to produce, why bother?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:42 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

. . . that you never see anymore....Rog
Rog, I had my "c" Aero Ace out last night - in the dark - under parking lot lights (it got cold). I still love 'em. But you're right. You don't see them mentioned anymore. Heck if your can get 4-times more money for something not too much more expensive to produce, why bother?
No Ray , I mean the hot boat/land/air thing that was the craze you dont see anymore so I guess AH made a mini version of it which is cool..but not $100 cool..I love my air hog bipe still and hope they make them forever....Rog
Old 11-05-2006, 08:24 AM
Wild Foamy

toy lecky
its pronounced "leccy" by us brits, you americans may say it diff tho...

anyway, some of these cheap planes are basically overpriced pieces of CRAP, s'cuse my language but they are,they are useless, hard to control and as said, they are likely tto put kids off flying/RC hobbies in general. i had a Airhogs plane once, it was hard to fly, easy to break and just wasnt worth the hassle/money, i chucked it in my cupboard and that put me right off flying (until i found this forum)
Old 11-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Wow, looks like everybody is on-line tonight. I guess we're all watching the Colts beat the Patriots, huh? Yeah, wanna make sumpin of it?

Well, I just thought I should "say" something since there is such a large "audience". I only brought lekky's to the field today because I thought it would be colder than it was. As a result the only thing I can comment on was the flights I put in on the "A" Aero Aces Bipe.
While regular li-pos were charging I'd toss the the little pleaser. More times than not I could catch it when it would come around into the wind. I would have to say that for me it just goes to prove that there are many, many ways to have fun with model airplanes - its the main thing that keeps me young - uh, that and my bride of 41 years (just in case).
Old 11-06-2006, 11:17 AM
vicman

She's only 41?[X(]
I feel better that you are catching you AH bipe and not the other one you were playing with that day we were filming. I was worried you were going to pull something.

WF we say lekky too, you will need to excuse ROG he only gets out in the morning.