Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Nom-de-Crue

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nom-de-Crue

I've been thinking (OK, insert unkind comment here) about our "Carolina 1/2A Crew" designation. Vic has represented us on the other side of the country and South Carolina, Virginia, Minnesota (!), and even Georgia are “regular” (I use the term loosely) participants. Not only that but similarly-afflicted dudes from “colonies” around the globe have pitched their hat in the ring (so to speak) – with helpful suggestions and comments. Friends I put it to you; is it time to enhance, expand, yes (dare I say it) internationalize our nom-de-crue?

Well, the point is that thanks to Rog and BobHH (but mainly Rog) our group of “wild and crazy guys” has reached out and touched people from beyond the boundaries of either Carolinas. Is it time to reconsider how we identify ourselves?

For your consideration. . . .

Following in the footsteps (or mincing prances) of one of our nation’s most talented musical trend setting artistes’ we could say something like: “The group formerly known as the Carolina 1/2A Crew” – but now to be referred to as. . .”

“The Southern-based, but internationally beloved, small glow-powered model airplane enthusiasts and general all-around swell fellows – crew”
or
The “Confederated 1/2A Crew” (like the former Confederate Air Force. Alas, “Commemorative” just doesn’t get it.)
or
“Cosmic 1/2A Crew”
or
“Crew of Rog’s Rangers and hot dog consuming marching society”
or
“Guys from all over the place who get together twice a year to watch each other crash little noisy airplanes (and others who take pleasure at reading about their innocent antics) – crew”

Somehow “crew” keeps creeping in there doesn’t it? Surely “crew” in itself wouldn’t be adequate, would it!?

(This just popped in, how about when a person has been accepted as a member [after our exhausting initiation exercise – whenever the goat cooperates] – we could say that he or she had been “crewed” – or has become “crewd”.)

(Hello, are you still there? Sorry but there’s more.)

Anyway, maybe we need to give it some additional thought. So here are a few points to ponder. . . .
1. DO we need to think about it some more? Or should our time be better spent away from the keyboard and back into the workshop?
2. Would you like to propose some other name choices?
3. And (drum roll pleeze) what would you call a model airplane (ANY model airplane) that you built specifically to fly (OK, maybe just show-off or demonstrate its repair-ability) at one of our semi/bi annual get-togethers. Yes friends, I have come to realize that given whom we are – individuals with a capital “I” and that rhymes with “pie” and that stands for. . . Oops got a little carried away there - we could never agree to just one design that we’d all like to build and share with our “crew-peers” – let alone a single name for it. But what if we were to identified a model as Crew-ish. Like. . .
a. Crew-face
b. Crew-ca-doodle-doo
c. Crew-de-tat
d. (Or maybe just a dangling “C” would be enough)
e. BlinC
f. Wee-C-Stick
g. QuiCee-200
h. Ra-Cer

Hmmm, looks like its time for my meds again.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:50 AM
ronrange
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Nom-de-Crue

What meds you been taking? :>)
Old 11-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ronrange

What meds you been taking? :>)
Raymond is fine -- he just gets on the forum early in the morning before his meds kick in. In another hour or so, he will have returned to his normal level of sanity.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:04 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Meds? You wanna know about my meds? Are you talkin' to me? I don't see anyone else here, so you must be talkin' to me.

Oh, never mind.

Most of my performance enhancing results come from within. That is I get pumped up on adrenalyn (Like via the French flying wing lekky model Drenalyn - look it up). Also, watching old Muppets reruns helps. I collect all those experiences under "meds".

I'll be taking my nap now.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:24 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Raymond, sounds like a good enough idea. If I understand your intentions, you want to expand the name to include all the individuals that have been a part in our crew. Maybe just dropping the "Carolina" would be enough? Being part of the "outer circle", I should probably leave this to the "inner circle". I will try to resist... for a short while. Sounds like an inclusive motion, so I will second it.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Jeeze Patrick! If there was an "inner circle" you'd be right there in the center, apex, vortex. That's the whole point - it ain't geographic - I think of the C 1/2A C as a "spiritual" confluence of co-conspirators.

And to be honest, I don't know if I was serious when I typed all that in or not. It all started when I was trying to come up with a name for my three TD .010 design. Somehow I felt it needed to be "crew" related since youse-guys are the only inspiration I have to continue to built little gassies. But given that the wing is so little I quickly ran out of room. (If it flies I think I'll call it "Tri-umf").

So, as in the days of my youth (yes its kinda dim but I do have fleeting recollections of those days long gone) - everybody jump in - "hog pile"!

Now I really am leaving (durn, this IS adictive).
Old 11-03-2006, 08:50 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Raymond is fine -- he just gets on the forum early in the morning before his meds kick in. In another hour or so, he will have returned to his normal level of sanity.
In another hour he will be napping again.

As the self appointed ambassador of our corps, group, alas crew, a name expanding the borders to those of our 1/2a little plane bretheren is a fine idea.
One word, please don't start another brotherhood as I have already claimed allegiance to the Revvers and this would be difficult to split my loyalties.[sm=pirate.gif]
Also in the quest for PC would request shying away from any Confedarate titles. Dixie, Southern, and Redneck are all subject to acceptance. Even RCU 1/2A Crew has potential.[8D]

I feel a poll coming on[sm=75_75.gif]
Old 11-03-2006, 09:21 AM
hfenn

vic, I like the RCU 1/2A Crew, but then people may ask, "where's the other half?"
Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 AM
vicman

but then people may ask, "where's the other half?"
Mai brauther Jos B has eet.

signed Jose

Don vote for dat Ramong dude, eem an ees kien wanna keep me awaay.

So much for my quest to be PC[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 11-03-2006, 10:02 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We gotta think of somethin, heck I was just lookin at makin up some shirts..North American 1/2A Crew?..1/2A East Coast Crew?..Actually I am kinda partial to Carolina 1/2A Crew, but I could go 1/2A RCU Crew... too...Rog

Old 11-03-2006, 10:46 AM
propbuster

How about "The United 1/2a Crew of America"? Or to use a Union phrase, (I know, that's a dirty word down south here) "The International Brotherhood of 1/2a Flyers" and there could be different "Locals" to represent guys from around the country.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:47 AM
KidEpoxy

Pepsi Presents the Carolina 1/2A Crew?

Co-Federation of 1/2A Crews
too bad folks cant see that the organization method of confederation existed before the civil war

United Crews of 1/2A ?
on the flag, a TX with the antenna coiled ready to strike- Dont Glich on Me
Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 AM
vicman

(I know, that's a dirty word down south here)
You didn't just...[X(]

a TX with the antenna coiled ready to strike- Dont Glich on Me
That holds potential.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: propbuster

How about "The United 1/2a Crew of America"? Or to use a Union phrase, (I know, that's a dirty word down south here) "The International Brotherhood of 1/2a Flyers" and there could be different "Locals" to represent guys from around the country.
Yeah we'll leave that alone,,the International Brotherhood of a Group of Worthless Idiots , cost me a really good job and the locals can form their own klans[:'(]..nothin personal Tim
the witty striking antennae might be ok!?...Rog
Old 11-03-2006, 12:07 PM
KidEpoxy

could just waggle the mouse around in MSPaint,
and use that uninteligible squiggle as your name:

The Crew Formerly know as Carolina 1/2A
Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Motley 1/2a Crue?

(current CWA member...) (it's not really the concept of a union that's bad, but how particular unions are ran)
Old 11-03-2006, 12:21 PM
dieFluggeister

As the 'Minnesota' constituant, I cant help but grin on this one. While I think it's very noble to try to include those not native to the Carolinas by changing the name, I certainly do not feel slighted...

Since I got to meet most of you all, I've been welcomed, included and even razzed a little. What you guys got going there is most definately INclusive and from what I've seen is pretty typical of the folk down there. Proud to be a part of it.

Besides if you change it to a National thing, that means you would have to rotate the location of our get togethers. Did I mention were having the reedie race out on Green Lake this year? No ON the lake. January 19th sound OK?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86361.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	553694  
Old 11-03-2006, 04:41 PM
vicman

included and even razzed a little.
[X(]

Who of us would do such a thing! Lemme at em[>:]
Old 11-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

As much as it just seems wrong somehow for me to agree with Vic, I do like the idea of a poll. The rest you'll have to translate for yourself - I can never figure out what he's trying to say - I'm sticking my tongue out at him now - pfstss

I LOVE the "don't glitch on me" TX banner! Way better'n a moldy old T-shirt (mine tend to bulge at the waist anyway). I want one for my hat too. Maybe an extra pair for earrings for my wife or girlfirend (yeah, like that would ever happen).

"1/2A RCU Crew" is both sensible and melodic. But it embraces ALL of the forum community. Is that fair to drag folks in who might not wanna be associated with our band of merry men (men, men, men, . . .)? Even though we do accept anyone into our ranks (eg; Vic, PT, dF, I mean com'on) I do think a novitiate ought to be expected to at least ask politely (while facing South of course) - even if we waive the goat's participation.

Hey dF, stay tuned for an important PM!

Uh, I'm a little conserned about the result of "waggling your mouse." But I'm not anything if not open minded. See, that's why you should vote for me.