Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

WorldTex covering???

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

WorldTex covering???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:38 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WorldTex covering???

By the recomendation of a fellow 1/2a pilot here I am looking into WorldTex covering from Horizon. Is this a textured covering that will give my Jr. Falcon the look of a fabric covering? (this is what I was lead to believe) How is it different from monocoat? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:56 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: WorldTex covering???

Mr67Stang, I was telling you about Worldtex at the reedy race.

Here's what I like about it. Extremely easy to use, almost as easy as fabric and dope. It stretches around curves and wing tips like fabric. It shrinks well. So far I haven't had it bubble or wrinkle on a plane that was covered a year ago. It has a satin finish and the fabric weave shows, so it looks like fabric, not plastic. I have had a few people people ask me what type of paint/dope I used because it really does look like painted fabric. BTW, it can be painted easily if you want.

Here's what I don't like about it. You need to clear coat the front of the fuselage because dirt and oil will get down into the weave, but it can be scrubbed with soapy water. I use Minwax spray Polycrylic satin finish to seal areas where oil will accumulate. The dye will get on your iron, so you need to use a sock. You may need to have a sock for each color if you iron at high temps.

Here're a couple of pics of my Senior Falcon's stab. I hope the weave shows up in the photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41498.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	559443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17921.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	559444  
Old 11-13-2006, 02:09 PM
boberos

My understanding is that Worldtex is Solartex.
A little heavy for a Jr. Falcon unless it is just a display model.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:20 PM
rainedave

Here's a pic of my dad's Jr. Falcon that he covered with Worldtex. With models this size there is no discernible weight difference than plastic film. I guess when you get to 1/4 scale and above it might add up to a measurable amount, I don't really know.

Name:	Zw69386.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	559578  
Old 11-13-2006, 03:24 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking for a covering for my 049 Einecker. Does this product come in an antique/ dirty white kind of colour?
Who sells it on line?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
rainedave

Yes, they have both a Linen and an Antique. Horizon Hobby sells it:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...orldtex&CatId=

The lightest is the uncolored Transparent Natural seen here on my Sr. Falcon.

Name:	Pn36308.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	559609  
Old 11-13-2006, 06:08 PM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

I'm looking for a covering for my 049 Einecker. Does this product come in an antique/ dirty white kind of colour?
Who sells it on line?
That eindecker is just begging for a real silk and dope finish....... On that plane I think it would be well worth the effort.

Hogflyer
Old 11-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Mr67Stang

Thanks Dave, I'm sorry I could not remember who I was talking to that day as I met so many new people. I'm way to young to be suffering from CRS already so I'll blame it on AADD like Rog I apreciate the refresher. I was looking at the stuff on Horizon and the pictures there just don't do it juctice as it looks more like monocoat so I wanted to verify that I was going to be ordering the right stuff.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:57 PM
rainedave

Yes, the pics on Horizon's site are horrible. The rolls come wrapped in clear cellophane and that's why they look glossy.

I plan to buy some more of the Transparent Natural sometime. It's not really transparent, but actually translucent (see my Sr. Falcon wing above). It weighs less than the colors and actually feels a bit thinner.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WorldTex/SolarTex/ColorTex is adhesive backed fabric. It's not glossy and not a fabric look-alike, it is real fabric. It is wonderful to work with and very easy to apply around compound corners. It is heavier than Monokote, but IMO, slightly heavier covering isn't a big deal on a small model because you're not using much covering anyways.

Here are a couple of pics of my Pup and closeups of what the covering looks like. The blue is ColorTex, which is the name Goldberg used when they carried it, and the olive drab is SolarTex. Both made by Solarfilm in England.

Edit:
By the way. GlossTex/21st Century Fabric is a pre-painted, glossy version of the same covering. I think it looks more realistic on a scale model like a Stearman, which would be painted. Let me know if you want a picture of it.

Name:	Jg14154.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	562164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19711.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	562165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65701.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	562166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92291.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	562167  
Old 11-17-2006, 09:17 PM
tangerine-jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AH! Fabric covered planes, yes now you guys are on to something worth talking about! I've used a lot of the solartex and worldtex and I can think of nothing bad to say about them. Keep in mind that although antique planes were covered in fabric, they were painted with dope and had a shiny finish. Some had so much dope on the finish as to be almost completely smooth. Go to any aviation museum and you will see what I am talking about. Flat aircraft finishes came about when airplanes turned into ugly metal monsters.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:36 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about WorldTex, but I can say for certain that 21st Century fabric MUST have the edges sealed or else fuel will just peel it back. I had a 1/4 scale cub covered with 21st Century that looked gorgeous. I didn't seal the edges and it peeled back on me in less than a season. So if all of these are essentially the same product, be advised!
Old 11-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't noticed the peeling to be too bad, other than when it starts to peel you can't just iron it back down like with some of the plastic coverings. Sealing edges is always a good idea.

Here's what 21st Century Fabric looks like.

Name:	Da83264.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	562269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52497.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	562270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99225.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.5 KB