Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Two Channel Set Up ?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Two Channel Set Up ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 01:04 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two Channel Set Up ?

Just a quick poll,

How do you guys set up your radio in an elevator/ rudder only configuration. Do you use both sticks, or just the right stick for both functions as we do with a elevator/aileron set up.

Darren
Old 11-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Two Channel Set Up ?

Darren -

Right stick only.

Why don't you set up your question as POLL thread? We can respond and also see all of the results.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:35 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Most of us are used to the primary rolling function and elevator on the right stick. And in this case rudder combined with dihedral forms the primary rolling function so on the right it goes.

A few years back I flew with one of the old two stick two channel Tx's. More than once I tried to bend the rudder stick to pull up the nose....
Old 11-20-2006, 02:59 PM
propbuster

On my rudder and elevator 1/2a stuff I use my old two stick, two channel Futaba radios, so I end up with rudder on the left and elevator on the right. On my 1/2a planes with ailerons, I use my JR gear and ailerons and elevator are both on the right. I did run into trouble once, where as I forgot that the two channel ME 109 I was flying (with my JR radio) had ailerons and elevator only and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn when I was giving it full rudder input. It hit me after I got her down that it didn't have rudder control! Duh!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the Aero Ace and the early Fighter Birds I was surprised at how quickly I adapted to using two sticks for RE. HOWEVER, it always takes me a while to get used to it and I always have to readjust when I got back to my "real" transmitters.

Another problem I have is on the ground with my RE 'Bees (Lazy, Speedy, and Baby - I LOVE dem Bees). When taxiing it is natural to use the left stick for ground steering but with rudder on the right stick on a RE application, which is where it should be IMHO, you have to adapt to 'steering' with ailerons. (I just pretend that I intended to do a donut, but don't tell anyone.)

All of which is to say, keep RE on the right stick.

Confused? Send lots of money by return owl for rush delivery of my new CD, "how to make it look like you know what you're doing." This is basically the story of my life. All rights reserved.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I mix my rudder to ailerons so that I can use either stick. That way I can taxi and takeoff with my left hand and fly with my right.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:42 PM
DanCarey

I use rudder on left and elevators on right so if i want to fly a 4 channel model i dont get confused
Old 11-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Bipe Flyer

DanCarey, do you fly mode 1 or mode 2?
Old 11-21-2006, 03:07 PM
DanCarey

I not sure what mode but it is throttle and rudder on the left and elevators and ailerons on the right
Old 11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
flyinrog

both on the right stick, then throttle on left if it has one...Rog
Old 11-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: DanCarey

I not sure what mode but it is throttle and rudder on the left and elevators and ailerons on the right
That's mode 2, same as here. It seems that the UK is moving more towards mode 2.

I don't know why I asked though, in both mode 1 and mode 2 the ailerons and rudder are the same. [sm=red_smile.gif]

Mode 1:
elevator/rudder on the left stick
throttle/airlerons on the right stick

Mode 2:
throttle/rudder on the left stick
elevator/ailerons on the right stick

Mode 3:
elevator/ailerons on the left stick
throttle/rudder on the right stick

Mode 4:
throttle/ailerons on the left stick
elevator/rudder on the right stick
Old 11-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Bipe Flyer

I can fly on either stick, but I prefer the right. I find it a real pain to taxi with the right though, that's why I do the mixing. I have an old Futaba 2-channel with the elevator on the left and rudder on the right. I don't like it!
Old 11-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Whirlyspud

I use the same method I would use if it were any 4 ch plane. Putting the rudder on the aileron stick leads to bad habbits in my opinion. More so if you fly inverted. If you are just tooling around, it will most likely never even be an issue. When inverted, the ailerons don't reverse, but the rudder does. Thats what I meant about bad habits. Almost bit me a time or two.

Mike
Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Bipe Flyer

When inverted, yaw and pitch reverse, roll stays the same. A 2 channel model flying inverted with rudder is much like flying with ailerons.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Whirlyspud

So if you train yourself to use the rudder on the aileron stick, you may end up pulling the wrong aileron direction because of it when you go back to a "normal" setup.

Mike
Old 11-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Bipe Flyer

No, it's the same. I miss spoke about the yaw reversing, or rather I didn't explain it properly - it depends on the dihedral.

When you roll with a rudder it doesn't roll half way and then roll back, it keeps rolling in the same direction. And, because we're talking about a 2 channel model with dihedral which becomes anhedral when inverted, the plane actually has adverse yaw inverted, which is in the opposite direction of the rudder and the actual direction of the stick. On a plane setup without yaw/roll coupling, like a pattern plane, the rudder reverses. That's moot anyways, because you'd have no roll control with just the rudder.

As seen from the ground:
Wing has dihedral > left rudder stick > rudder defects left > plane yaws left > plane rolls left >
plane is inverted > wing now has anhedral > left rudder stick > rudder deflects right > plane yaws left > plane rolls left.

So, on a model where you could use the rudder and no ailerons, the rudder behaves the same as ailerons. Come to think of it, using the rudder on the left would teach you bad habits on a 2 channel model because when you go back to a 4 channel pattern ship you would be expecting the plane to roll with left stick, when in fact it will only yaw.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Bipe Flyer

Whirlyspud,

Please don't think that I'm trying to shoot down what you're saying. It's about the pilot's perception of what's happening that's important. If you feel that flying with the rudder on the right stick causes you problems when going back to 4 channels, then it's real for you. Much like how people perceive flying in the wind differently. Heck, I quit playing a particular WWII simulator because I felt that it affected the way I flew RC.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Whirlyspud

No big deal. I noticed it flying a 3ch park fliers for a few weeks. When I went back to my normal plane, I came real close to crashing it. That was when I said no more rudder on the aileron channel.

Mike
Old 11-21-2006, 06:35 PM
hogflyer

I agree with Bipe on the perspective of flying one radio vs. another. I've flown 2-ch 2-stick, 7-ch single stick, multi-channel 2-stick, and even wheel control 2-ch. It doesn't matter to me what style of radio, or the mode - I just adapt to the radio I'm flying. But there are others I know who don't care to fly anything other than a multi-channel 2-stick so they have the same feel. It's what ever makes you comfortable in your flying, not what others think you should be flying.

Bipe,

Ever try something like the Futaba FP-2FN 2-ch?

Hogflyer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13544.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	564527  
Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Whirlyspud

I had that radio about 20 years ago...... in a car. I agree, if all I was ever going to fly was rudder and elevator, I'd have both on the stick and not think twice about it But, that is not the case.

Mike
Old 11-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

Bipe,

Ever try something like the Futaba FP-2FN 2-ch?

Hogflyer
No, but I've seen one of those crazy things used.

I'm an instructor at our club, so I use a lot of different radios, but I still like the feel of mine the best. It's like driving someone else's car. The funny thing is that I adapt to a plane easier than the radio.[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 11-21-2006, 07:32 PM
propbuster

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

I can fly on either stick, but I prefer the right. I find it a real pain to taxi with the right though, that's why I do the mixing. I have an old Futaba 2-channel with the elevator on the left and rudder on the right. I don't like it!

Bipe, I have two older Futaba AM radios I use for 1/2a stuff and one transmitter had the elevator on the left, and rudder on the right like you mentioned. I opened up the case and after some slight modifications, were able to rotate the gimbals 90 degrees so that The right stick moved up and down and the left side to side as a normal mode two set up would be.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:38 PM
GrahamC

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

I mix my rudder to ailerons so that I can use either stick. That way I can taxi and takeoff with my left hand and fly with my right.

I do the same thing except I usually fly mode 1 (occasionally mode 2 just for variety). I will use the rudder stick for taxing and when flying 2 channel sailplanes for "rudder" effect and aileron for normal aileron turns - I know the effects are not really like that but it does help keep the brain and fingers thinking rudder/elevator/aileron even though you are only rudder/elevator.

I think it is pretty much personal choice and in the end it is whatever works.

cheers, Graham