Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Mini .095 Car Engine

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mini .095 Car Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:22 AM
injunnut1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini .095 Car Engine

Does anyone know anything about this Car Engine? See it here ......... I just ordered one and hopefully (after the Holiday Season) I will see what I can get out of it performance-wise.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMYK5&P=7
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69027.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	569839  
Old 12-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Mini .095 Car Engine

ORIGINAL: injunnut1

......... I just ordered one and hopefully (after the Holiday Season) I will see what I can get out of it performance-wise.
It will be interesting to hear what you find out since this engine might be a possible substitution for the NORVEL .074. I think there are 4 potential problem areas that will have to be considered before it becomes a feasible buy for most folks since some machining is going to be required.

1. How can a prop adapter be produced?
2. How much of the 3-point base mount can be milled off to reduce weight.
3. Backplate fabrication.
4. How much of the heatsink can be turned off.

I believe the powerbands for the car engines also tend to peak at a higher RPM than we generally prop for. If you get these worked out so this engine can be easily set up by an everyday flyer, we'll be referring to you as Mr. injunnut1.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:56 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Andrew, when making my balloon tank adapters I "discovered" that aluminum doesn't weigh enough to worry about. Milling those mounts off wouldn't be able to be measured on a postal scale. CP told me it was like getting a haircut to lose weight when I asked about something similar.
The short crank is going to make an interesting problem when he makes a prop adapter.

Why do car engines cost so much? Is it that airplane engines are sold in a much higher volume?

Oh yeah, bet the carb gets removed... one way or the other! It's kinda in the prop disk...
Old 12-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Tim Wiltse-RCU

I hate how they have it listed. Note that it's not an .095 it's a .07 or .95cc! We are looking at it on the boat board to use in a small outrigger.

Later,
Tim
Old 12-01-2006, 10:11 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

INCLUDES: One .095 Mini Standard Engine
_ One "R3" glow plug installed
Assortment of shims
Three 3X10mm flat head screws
Instruction sheet

REQUIRES: Fuel: Car blend with 20% nitro content

SPECS: Bore: NA
Stroke: NA
Engine Mounting: .05 Toki
Engine Bore Size: .07ci / .95cc
Ports: NA
Connecting Rod: Pro shape with lower bushing
Distance Between Mounting Holes Same Side: .37" 9.5mm
Distance Between Mounting Holes Opposite Side: .84" 21mm
Height/Bottom of Crankcase to top of Cylinder Head: 2.78" 70mm
Height/Bottom of Mounting Tab to top of Cylinder Head: 2.26" 57mm
Distance from Starter to Front Bearing: 1.96" 49mm

check the fine print it IS an .07,,probably dual bearing,,the heat sink head and pull starter are probably $50 of it..its a toki .05 engine...good analogy PT ,if I lost all my hair, oh wait[&o] that was 10 years ago...Rog
Old 12-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Andrew

Here's a [link=http://www.teamtrinity.com/095enginebd.pdf]parts breakdown[/link].
Old 12-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Mopzilla

Most of the small car engines you see come in both pullstart and non-pull (regular backplate) versions, because some small trucks don't have space for a pullstart.

Also, they kind of cheated. They didn't make smaller carbs. I'd glue an AP carb on there, and keep the regular carb for when your regular car engine needs one.

Check out this 35,000 rpm .061 for cars
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNAE5&P=7

1. Prop adapter: use a trimmed down flywheel for the prop washer. put the prop on the pilot shaft, and if there is space, put on a spinner!
2. Aluminum is light, so only trim off enough to keep it round with the webbing on the side.
3. Don't need one, just get a non p/s engine.
4. Usually car heatsinks include the head/plug holder integrated with a tall metal tube with fins on it. Easy!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:51 PM
subarubrat

And to bring up another point, this means there is a 1/2 car out there too, I recall seeing a french made one, this may be what it is intended for? I always loved the Cox GTP nissan which was a great use of 1/2a. I am pretty excited about seeing a possible future for 1/2a cars again!
Old 12-02-2006, 10:20 PM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do have a regular "Rotary Carb" for it. Part # TRI 40014B. See Andrew's post about parts list
Old 12-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Mopzilla

ORIGINAL: subarubrat
I am pretty excited about seeing a possible future for 1/2a cars again!

I built one this year, or maybe last year, had some fun and then took it apart because my custom clutch system wasn't the greatest. But now there are tons of them! Just search for xray nt18t, or nitro mini buggy or something!! 1/2A just got popular in the car world except they don't call it 1/2A. And the more small cars they have, the more small engines there will be for us to use..