Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

boat guy needs engine info AP .09 vs OS la .10

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

boat guy needs engine info AP .09 vs OS la .10

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:46 AM
toyotatruckin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boat guy needs engine info AP .09 vs OS la .10

Ok Im a boat guy but where else better than here to ask about small nitro engines, Me and tom moorehouse are building a .09 micro rigger and I am looking for the best engine for it the trinity engine looks to be a good choice but after looking at the pictures I noticed the crankshaft seems a little short for a marine flywheel plus Im not a big fan of the pull start engine.

The choices I have come up with so far are the AP .09 and the OS .10 both have the 5mm threaded long shaft the the LA .10 looks to be a better engine than the ap as in power and weight plus its an OS cant go wrong with them.. I need to know opinions from people that have used these engines, also on the LA it has a side exhaust muffler, is there a header/tuned pipe to fit it? next is nitro % I havent used anything but 40% nitro for some time in all my engines Im guessing that might be to much for eather engine so what is the limit here? Thanks for any help you might give!
Old 12-02-2006, 05:13 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: boat guy needs engine info AP .09 vs OS la .10

TT,

You may be better off posting this question in one of the boat forums. I know there is world of difference in the operating environment between boats and planes, and from what I understand aircraft engines don't work very well in a boat application unless it's an air boat or hovercraft. You may have some cooling issues to contend with, and may be better off looking at a car engine.

As far as using 40% fuel in an OS .10 LA, that's way too much and you'll shorten the life considerably. I fly my OS .10 FP on 10% and it runs quite well. If you want a header/tuned pipe I think you'll have to design your own - I don't know of any for that engine.

Hogflyer
Old 12-02-2006, 11:27 PM
toyotatruckin

Thanks for the info but cooling shouldnt be an issue, if it is brass tubing around the head will fix it, plane guys will know better than the boat guys on the engine info Im looking for, the rest I have covered already
Old 12-02-2006, 11:40 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you seen this thread? .......Expensive compared to an AP .09 though

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5061432/tm.htm
Old 12-02-2006, 11:55 PM
toyotatruckin

yeah I have seen it...In boats .12 is about the smallest but there are some guys building .09 riggers on here using a russian .09 engine that is kinda a tird from what results people are having its kinda like a 1 in 10 that work and they are like a chunk of lead
A rigger has an open style cowl that the head sticks out of and the .12 size car engines used actually cool way to much as they are made to go under a lexan body so in marine use you have to cut the cooling fins down leaving 2 or 3 fins,

I am just looking for some people that have had experiance with both the AP and OS LA engines as to how they compare in power life span weight and so on.. even plane aplication info will tell me alot
Old 12-03-2006, 01:41 AM
on pipe

I have an OS .10 and love it! I have it on a Lanier U2 foam glider that I converted to RC. It starts easy, idles, and transitions perfectly.
I don't know if it's a concern, but they are also probably one of the quietest glow engines produced today. My AP .09, on the other hand, was kind of a disappointment. It was pretty heavy, (it uses the same case as the .15) and low on power. I put it on a little 45" wingspan trainer type plane and couldn't ever get it off the ground. Just not enough power to lift that heavy lump. Gave it to a flying buddies kid who made a propeller car out of it. Go for the OS, it won't disappoint you. Ross
Old 12-03-2006, 03:22 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run a FP10M (marine version, but identical engine except for the head) in a boat. Can I say boring? What a yawn. Great in a plane spinning less than 20Krpms, but in a fast boat it runs out of legs really fast!
If it was me I`d get that car engine. It will deliver the revs you need to move out, you will need a small prop but once on the pane/step it will be the engine you want.

If you are keen and feeling like a challenge, you could try the APwasp- I have read of people raising the exhaust port on them for airplane use.
But for $20 saving I think you will find it is a lot junkier and may not hold together if you REALLY get it to go<I think it would probably be O.K though... but the power is a big question mark>- its a plane engine, so its just not built for the moments of no-load WOT operation you get when a boat is going over chop.

This is just my 2C as I have never had or run either the APwasp 0.9 or the trinity 07 engine.

Stefan
Old 12-03-2006, 10:29 PM
toyotatruckin

I think I have the La figured out machine a cooling head, machine a titaunim rod, knife edge the rod, cuts down on rotating mass and flows better port match the exhaust case to sleave/ header to case, tuned pipe, a little crank work, taper the transfer/boost ports, taper the bottom of the sleave and basic clean-up inside,, fixes cooling, ups the rpm and power run higher nitro 30%n18%o