Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Can I use a Tee Dee .049 as a pusher?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Can I use a Tee Dee .049 as a pusher?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 12:12 AM
N331PC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use a Tee Dee .049 as a pusher?

Hi guys I’m new to this forum, well forums in general!!

But here is a quick question....

I have been designing flying wings for a few years using electrics, and have had pretty good successes.

Just recently i found a nice Tee Dee .049 stashed in an old RC parts box, and was inspired to throw it on a wing!

As a pusher!!?

after a little thought, i realized this may not be possible because the carb will be facing down stream creating a vacuum instead of receiving ram air as it would as a tractor
So if any one has experience with using nitro engines as pushers (particularly Cox .049s)
It would be great if I could get some info or a
Go or no go
Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default RE: Can I use a Tee Dee .049 as a pusher?

Sure, it'll do great! The venturi issue isn't a factor. The 2 main issues are the prop driver thrust washer and cooling. Very early Tee Dees had a phenolic washer which is OK but not as good as the the nice, hardened steel washer that's on most of them. In either case, put a drop of oil behind the prop driver before startup and you'll be fine.

Set your needle a tad rich and the overheating shouldn't be a problem. If it does get too hot, try to find one of the clamp on heat-sink head adapters from one of the Cox cars and that'll fix it.

Oh, make sure you get a pusher prop!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD
Oh, make sure you get a pusher prop!
This is the most important part. The rotary valve TD runs one way only, try a cheaper reed valve Cox.

old git - - - - - - - - aka John L.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or get a Reverse Crank
Old 12-04-2006, 06:01 PM
build light

And of course you know what happens if you get the reverse crank and use a lefthanded or clockwise prop!

Robert
Old 12-04-2006, 08:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Grish pusher props rule, but they don't seem to always be ready to take orders. Don't hold your TD pusher peaked out on the ground very long, get it set and into the air pronto! I think running them on bladder is the best way to go......I don't like the engine to go rich when the model is climbing, which is what happens with a suction tank ahead of the engine.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:53 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

One suggestion I would like to make, if you'r going to dig into the motor with thrust washers, make sure the end play of the crankshaft is at its bare minimum. Most TD's have enough room for two phenolic or a stainless with a phenolic.

When the prop hub and crankshaft is pushed against the motor with too much slop, it carries the connecting rod with it, causing the rod end not to sit square to the crankpin, and cause rapid wear and stretch. Everything is designed to align with the crankshaft all the way forward.