Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

How To Crank A Cox .049!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

How To Crank A Cox .049!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:50 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How To Crank A Cox .049!!

Just had to do some picking on the guys commenting that the Cox .049s were so hard to crank! Here is a photo I found in an old mag that shows a boy maybe 9 years old and his sister cranking an .049 on a controline model. Hope you can read the caption.

So if you are whinning about can't get your Cox to run go borrow your neighbor's kid or if he is not available his sister. They can crank it for you!!!!!

HA!!!

Bob Harris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57555.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	572004  
Old 12-05-2006, 08:10 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How To Crank A Cox .049!!

Of course! its like settin up a DVD player you need a 12 year old to do it right!...
Old 12-05-2006, 09:09 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That says just about everything, and yes I was running Cox engines before I was 10. So in regards to .049 engines being unreliable, what gives? All mine have run just as good as the electrics!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-05-2006, 09:54 AM
dieFluggeister

LOL Great post Bob!

Old 12-05-2006, 10:03 AM
digital_trucker

Methinks some folks may try to go too high-tech. Cox engines of all flavors like big ol' lantern batteries for fire instead of ni-lites and similiar.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:09 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice haircut Bob, or was it Bobby back then[sm=bananahead.gif]

Old 12-05-2006, 10:18 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: vicman

Nice haircut Bob
Bahahaha,,, I thought I recognized that squeeze bulb too...I didnt know you even had a sister Bob...
Old 12-06-2006, 06:09 AM
Wayne C

I think digital trucker is right about the battery. I use four dollar store D-cells wired to give only 1.5volt but with enough current to do the job. Usually the prime starts to fizz by the time I can set down the syringe I use to prime with. I started up one the other day that had been unused for several weeks. It took three or four flips of the prop to start the engine. Been running them since I was a kid.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:39 AM
rainedave

Yep, I also learned as a kid if the coil in the glow head is orange they will never hand start.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:24 AM
eroc144

Nice photo. Of course, that's the "before" photo with both kids clean, happy and smiling. The "after" photo would show them dirty, worn-out and stomping up and down on the wreckage of the plane out of sheer frustration.

At least that's how my "after" photo would have looked when I was a kid.

EG
Old 12-06-2006, 08:54 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

[8D]I use 4 NIMH cells wired with short sections of wire to each, with an alligator clip at the ends of each. That way you can switch them from parallel to series in turn, for firing the engine, then recharging. I haven't had to buy starter batteries for 2 years now.

ZZ.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

Methinks some folks may try to go too high-tech. Cox engines of all flavors like big ol' lantern batteries for fire instead of ni-lites and similiar.
For sure, 1.2V NiCad starter batteries just ain't the ticket for Cox glow heads.

Or for those (a) using power panels and (b) still having trouble with Coxes, I wonder if they are setting the power panel output on a loose plug to check that the filament is glowing nice and brightly? I generally have to dial my panel up considerably higher for Cox plugs than for standard glow plugs.

MJD
Old 12-06-2006, 04:15 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Of course you realize that if you left children as young as 10 or thereabouts actually go out and start a Cox motor by actually flipping ity by hand, you would be arrested for recklessly endangering a child. Furthermore children don't do solitary things like fly planes anymore. They have structured play periods or group huggy times.
Yes I know, perhaps I'm a grumpy old man but society sure has taken the fun out of being a child,
Of course you hear that society is much more complicated now then in our simpler times, children are too pressed for time to have any spare time to build toy planes. Perhaps it is the parents who are pressing the kids and depriving them of the pleasure of being kids.
Oh well it is nice to see a picture of them actually enjoying themselves in our' simpler times'
Old 12-06-2006, 04:32 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: dennis

Of course you realize that if you left children as young as 10 or thereabouts actually go out and start a Cox motor by actually flipping ity by hand, you would be arrested for recklessly endangering a child. Furthermore children don't do solitary things like fly planes anymore. They have structured play periods or group huggy times.
Yes I know, perhaps I'm a grumpy old man but society sure has taken the fun out of being a child,
Of course you hear that society is much more complicated now then in our simpler times, children are too pressed for time to have any spare time to build toy planes. Perhaps it is the parents who are pressing the kids and depriving them of the pleasure of being kids.
Oh well it is nice to see a picture of them actually enjoying themselves in our' simpler times'
The problem is convenient distractions, mostly in the form of electronics. And the old "instant gratification" thing, which of course is related to the former. And the time pressures on parents leaving their kids to amuse themselves the easiest way possible (see above) etc etc etc... all the reasons could fill a doctorate thesis or twelve.

My son recently had a school project (gr 6) whereby he had to make some kind of artifact for a social studies project. He is an electronic game junkie, and not a big model airplane fan, so I haven't been able to distract him too much with my toys. Luckily he loves playing soccer so he's not a couch potato, and we do limit his electronics time. Anyhow, he decided to make a birchbark canoe for this project.. so we traipsed out into the woods, found some bark, back to the workshop and away we went. It took us maybe three hours to make it, and we were both quite pleased with the results. The whole point of this was what he said to me at the end - "hey Dad, this was really fun!". I felt like saying "No, really? You mean actually doing something with your hands and some tools and glue is fun? We could do this more you know..."

I am further encouraged by his older brother wondering about building a 1/2A ukie. He already flies R/C reasonably well, but spotted a sheet balsa ukie I built some years ago up on the shelf and asked about it. I'll bet he thinks it is a riot. His little brother might too.. I can only hope.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:44 PM
SGC

Dennis ,
What you say is too true, too many parents wrap there kids in cotton wool , and are too ready to blame someone for injury, as a result organiseations are reluctant to allow exposure to anything that "may" cause harm/injury in any way. A sad state of afairs in my oppinion , a bit of ruff n tumble as kids grow up teachs them to deal with the hardships of life, maybe its the lack of a bit of ruff/dangerouse play thats the reason for the high incedence of suicides in youths- they just dont know how to deal with hardship/pain. Are the parents that mollycodle realy doing there kids a favour ?
Stewart
PS my kids played in bushland on our farm , thats in an area were Tiapan snakes are found , they never saw one , kids make so much noise the snakes hide, but the mere thought that snakes maybe about stops many parents from allowing there kids to play in bushland.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:56 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: SGC

Dennis ,
What you say is too true, too many parents wrap there kids in cotton wool , and are too ready to blame someone for injury, as a result organiseations are reluctant to allow exposure to anything that "may" cause harm/injury in any way. A sad state of afairs in my oppinion , a bit of ruff n tumble as kids grow up teachs them to deal with the hardships of life, maybe its the lack of a bit of ruff/dangerouse play thats the reason for the high incedence of suicides in youths- they just dont know how to deal with hardship/pain. Are the parents that mollycodle realy doing there kids a favour ?
Stewart
PS my kids played in bushland on our farm , thats in an area were Tiapan snakes are found , they never saw one , kids make so much noise the snakes hide, but the mere thought that snakes maybe about stops many parents from allowing there kids to play in bushland.
A BIG part of kid's attitudes degenerating at school and elsewhere is the complete lack of meaningful consequences for their inappropriate actions, lest the parents or kids react and sue everyone in sight. Then again, if parents did their job in the formative years things would be different too.. sigh. It's all a big mess that has evolved over a few generations, and certainly won't be fixed in as many.

My sister lives in Queensland, and says the same thing about Taipans and the other nasties around there. She's survived for nearly 20 years there, as have her kids.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker
Cox engines of all flavors like big ol' lantern batteries for fire instead of ni-lites and similiar.
Actually, lest some kid burn out a ten dollar glow plug, you DO NOT want to use a LANTERN battery unless you rewire it.

A standard lantern battery has the cells wired in series for 6 volts. A HOBBY battery is wired with the cells in parallel for 1.5 volts.

Since HOBBY batteries are scarce, some people rewire LANTERN batteries.

George
Old 12-06-2006, 09:59 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SGC
...PS my kids played in bushland on our farm , thats in an area were Tiapan snakes are found , they never saw one , kids make so much noise the snakes hide, but the mere thought that snakes may be about stops many parents from allowing there kids to play in bushland.
So THAT's where the engine name came from. Sixty five and still learning!

George
Old 12-06-2006, 10:11 PM
vicman

A BIG part of kid's attitudes degenerating at school and elsewhere is the complete lack of meaningful consequences for their inappropriate actions, lest the parents or kids react and sue everyone in sight. Then again, if parents did their job in the formative years things would be different too
Here is a quote for you that my 7 yr old son is very familiar with..."If your going to be stupid, you gotta be tough".

Although off topic (sorry Mr. Norvell lover) I hope you guys can tell the shop is open to the fam for projects and skill learning of all sorts.[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39140.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	573048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89565.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	573049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21033.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	573050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61721.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	573051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al70713.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	573052  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:53 AM
digital_trucker

gcb, sorry about the nomenclature faux pas....we always called any battery the size of a brick a lantern battery
Old 12-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

It makes my heart smile to see 41.5 working on his rocket. He has that same look about the eyes I've seen just before you hand-launched that Rivets.

And that beautiful little girl must be a visiting neighbor, huh? But wait, her pony tail looks like you, Vic, must have put it up for her. Could she be related as well?

Hold on there, is that your illigitimate, 30+years older, identical twin, by invitro fertilization, from a different mother, waiting for a body transplant - brother too?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 AM
vicman

Hold on there, is that your illigitimate, 30+years older, identical twin, by invitro fertilization, from a different mother, waiting for a body transplant - brother too?

The Rocket Car has been officially retired as of this weekend. We kicked it off with two Cs and a B and it went a little farther and higher than usual.[X(]
After 60+ runs it is also starting to reveal some pretty big stress marks along the body (monocote tube). So it now has a resting place of honor above his bench.[sm=thumbup.gif]