Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What's on your wish-list?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What's on your wish-list?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's on your wish-list?

Hey youse-all pay attention! I gots something to challenge you with.

Here’s how it started (I’m sure you want to know); here I am sitting in front of this machine in a warm, comfortable, secure Holiday mood when I began thinking about things I could wish for. Yes, the Spirit of Christmas Future had whupped me aside the head and I thought about World Peace and stopping the crazies and stuff like that. But I quickly slid into a more selfish mode and began making mental entries in my gonna-buy/build-soon list. Well, the reality is that it takes time and/or money to check any of those items off, and dad-gummit I can’t do much about that.

But then I thought about youse-all, my semi-imaginary ether-buddies and accomplices. I said to myself, “Raymond ole dude why don’t you ask them guys the following question, ‘what would you like to see take place in the near future to make small internal combustion-powered, radio-controlled modeling even more fun than it already is?’”.

I know each of us would probably start with, “make Cox/Norvel (pick one or both) ‘whole’ again” – so skip that one. Let’s forget low prices and free fuel. I’m wondering what youse would like in the way of products, equipment, services. Stretch those little gray cells. Rise up and tell the World what you want, no demand! Break free from your everyday toss-a-plane into the air and bore holes in the sky thinking and let your mind sour (I mean soar)! Shout out your inner-most desires and dreams to the World!!!

Pant, wheeze, puff, puff.

Ok, for me I’ll start with foam (FFF and hot-wire-able) that’s fuel proof, cheap, and available at Home Depot. (Kind of a let down ain’t it?)
Old 12-06-2006, 10:27 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What's on your wish-list?

A Shop like Tim.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got enough stuff to last awhile, heres hoping the crew doubles in size instead of shrinks, me thinks it may be time to include the leckys upfront instead of an aside..well except for the races..I guess we could have a lecky race too...?....Rog

If me and Banjoairplane hold a funfly here over the summer for all size planes would any of the crew be interested in attending?..I fly/crash .15,.25and, .40 stuff too...sorry to cut in on your post RL
Old 12-06-2006, 12:51 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Hey, I'm easy to please. Some eye-candy at the field would be nice. When I say "model", I think we all know what kind I mean.

Oh, and a Rong Fu mill from Enco.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:12 PM
rainedave

I want Bipe Flyer's CNC foam cutter. What am I saying?! I love cutting out ribs. How about a big, fat order from Lone Star.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Fuel proof foam was in category one: fantasy items.
1. This includes never-break props.
2. Never burn out plugs.
3. Water-based fuel.

But category two; is for stuff that "could happen" like the comedian on TV used to say.
1. This includes odorless dope and thinners. Not the expensive stuff from the engine guy. Maybe there's a water-based-polyurethane, Future floor finish, or something that don't stink and fry your brain - but will hold up to 35% hot fuel.
2. True one-source for all things 1/2A-ish. Yes, I know there are several cottage guys that keep us alive (thank you, thank you). But little orders to multiple places adds lotsa postage and handling. (And trying to keep up with lekky stuff is way worse.)
3. I'd like to see a scaled-down Shopmate-like tool. Do they still make Shopmates? I mean one motor to power a drill press, sander, scroll saw. Less space, cheaper. Not 12volts either - real manly power - but small.
4. More opportunities to get together with youse-all - in person. Not just to fly but talk, brain storm, design, socialize, build even.

Category four (someone fill in three); is for forum adjustment (don't get mad yet);
1. I'm thinking like Rog suggested and along the lines of the S.M.A.L.L. concept. All things smallish but not necessarily glow or diesel - hows 'bout lekky too. CP and Scudrunner turned me onto J250 motors - here. Rainedave makes me want to cover something with tissue for olde times sake - again I'm thinking lekky. Bob and others keeps Ken Willard and all those other wonderful guys alive for me - single channel, hmmm. Vic makes me glad I'm sane. Well, you can't win 'em all.
2. I'd like to see a way to link (I don't have a better word) similar, related topics - not just when key words pop up - but when 'real' information is provided. Like stickies but more. Let's say a moderator has the power to tag a specific post to one of several main topics. Moderators read every post (I expect) so if we in this forum wanted to track a half-dozen or so ket topics, click and you could track 'em.

Dang I missed my nap again and my head's starting to hurt.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

OK, OK, for a realistic wish list:

A Norvel Engine that will run as good as a Cox!
Heck, lets simplify that... A Norvel engine that will run!!![>:]
A Cox engine that can not run!!
Did they ever make a Cox engine that would not run????
An electric model that smells like burnt castor when running!!!
TA DA TA DA TA DA!!!!

Bob Harris
Old 12-06-2006, 08:37 PM
ptulmer

Raymond, for purity's sake, there are numerous electric forums. If you can put up with them making fun of your glow engines... Oh, you need some Nelson paint. With the crosslinker, it's good up to 50%. (supposedly, but I KNOW it's good to 35%) It's oderless and waterbased. Overspray is dry before it hits the floor. It will literally vacuum up!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:58 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Rog,

I would come over for a fun-fly in summer. Great idea.

Raymond.... mmm you got me thinking. My first thought is vacuum forming table, lots of parts I could make with it. My dream item would be my neighbor owning a laser cutting machine... I would email my file then stop by with some balsa and watch my parts get cut out. Talk about service

Brian
Old 12-06-2006, 09:00 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Complete annhilation of all Islamo-facsists and a plane that does 200.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Vacuum former! Darn something else to add to my to-build list.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:51 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: BobHH

OK, OK, for a realistic wish list:

A Norvel Engine that will run as good as a Cox!
Heck, lets simplify that... A Norvel engine that will run!!![>:]

Bob Harris
Bob, next time I see you we need to have Norvel 101!

BTW, I'll put my little girl and a Norvel up against your little sister with a cox any day!

Brian
Old 12-06-2006, 10:53 PM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Complete annhilation of all Islamo-facsists and a plane that does 200.
CP,

Issue one: that's easy to take care of - just nuke 'em till they glow in shoot 'em in the dark!

Issue two: just depends how much you wanna spend.

Hogflyer
Old 12-06-2006, 11:06 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

How about a wish that all who have ever entered the design contest with their hair brained, ill conceived and high falootin' ideas [past present and future], FINISH those *&%#*'n planes and do so with highly detailed build threads?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Larry Driskill

Wireless servos - You 'tune them to the receiver' and then just put them out in the wing near the aileron, or back by the elevator, etc. No wires or connections to fool with. Powered by a tiny rechargeable 'watch like' batteries.

A device, like cars have, that you plug in before and after flight to get a readout on the radio system. (Is a servo pulling too much power? Is one cell of a battery pack going bad? Is a 'watch' battery getting tired?)

Success for the people offering better, less expensive service than the big brown truck guys offer.

A good, plain bearing, under than 2 ounces, line of carbed and uncarbed .049/.061, domestically manufactured engines - selling for $100 US dollars and using the Nelson plug.

A 1/2A starter with an adjustable 'clutch' (like the cordless drivers have) so you could set it and then use it with less fear of breaking cranks and bending rods.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Thinking about wire-less servos (which is a wonderful idea) whatever happened to 'bricks'. Y' know receiver and two servos in one box. Ok, ok maybe the idea was before its time when everything was bigger, like way bigger, than what we enjoy now. But maybe its time for another go at it with the tiny equipment thats all over the place (thanks park flyers).

And for big-brown-truck competition and shipping; now you can ship information as 'media mail' for lower rates. What about 'technology mail' for things that help you think, build, design?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:39 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am stickin to world peace and a 200 mph model.
Un-interupted naps for Raymond and as often as he likes them.
A reedie race with no one uttering the word glitch.
A bottomless bottle of CC Reserve and matching glass with ice.

Best of all....more days at the field with my son.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 AM
scudrunner77

ORIGINAL: Larry Driskill

A 1/2A starter with an adjustable 'clutch' (like the cordless drivers have) so you could set it and then use it with less fear of breaking cranks and bending rods.
I was working on an old OS Max 30 at my work the other day (auto shop) and stuck it in the vise, a squirt of brake clean and a couple drops of oil down the carb, and spun it over with a 10mm socket on the crank nut, using my cordless Dewalt impact driver... fired right up. My point is that I think you could probably use a cordless drill as a starter. Our engines don't need to be spun all that fast to start either. Before I got a 1/2a starter I use to use a standard starter with a small heli fitting on the end and a 7.2v nicad battery like you would put in an RC car. It did not spin half as fast or as powerful as the 1/2a starter but it got the job done.

The only thing RC on my wish list is a brushless motor... please don't banish me to RCGroups
Old 12-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Wayne C

All those reasonable and honorable wishes....
I half expected someone to suggest shapely bikini clad chicks working the pits keeping everyone supoplied with fresh batteries, fresh fuel, fresh glowplugs, fresh sandwiches, fresh cold drinks, and general freshness......
...."Aw did your cute wittle aiwpwane get some dirt on it? Let me help you clean it off."....
Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 AM
ptulmer

Wayne, that's pretty much exactly what I was asking for, just didn't have the guts to spell it out.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Wayne, I'm so used to that kind of treatment that I just plumb forgot that others less fortunate (and appealing) than I who have to clean their own planes and receive, let us say, other benefits. One of these days I'll post a photo of myself so you can see why I am so beset by female adulation. Woo hoo.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:58 PM
ptulmer

Chicks dig Yoda.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-08-2006, 04:41 PM
vicman

Hank Jr does pretty well too[sm=stupid.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Larry Driskill

ORIGINAL: Wayne C

All those reasonable and honorable wishes....
I half expected someone to suggest shapely bikini clad chicks working the pits keeping everyone supoplied with fresh batteries, fresh fuel, fresh glowplugs, fresh sandwiches, fresh cold drinks, and general freshness......
...."Aw did your cute wittle aiwpwane get some dirt on it? Let me help you clean it off."....
I best pass.

I already have both hands full . . . just trying to keep an RC wing safely airborne and outta the dirt. Half naked rookies running around the pits unsupervised , wipin' the castor off my jets would surely cause situational awareness overload.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:45 PM
vicman

Larry, you can get used too it.

I surely did when racing full scale cars and bikes.[8D] It's no big tallent, really. PT, Wayne, and others have never really experienced sucess like you and I have

Been there done it CC broh[>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.