Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Sig Herr Little Extra with OS15CV-A-optimum weight

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Sig Herr Little Extra with OS15CV-A-optimum weight

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:26 PM
sherm24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Herr Little Extra with OS15CV-A-optimum weight

I just completed a Sig Little Extra and put an OS 15CV-A in it along with a 4 oz sullivan tank and Hitec HS-81 servos. It came out a little nose heavy and required 1.1 oz of lead in the tail. Total flying weight is 32.9 oz vs. 25.4 oz for the stock configuration with the Norvel 074. In a previous post someone had used an OS LA15, 4 oz tank and HS-81 servos and according to the author it flew just fine. However, he did not mention the final weight with the larger engine. My question is: will the wing loading be too high at this weight and affect the performance i.e. stall speed, landings etc. I have always flown larger airplanes so I am not familiar with how sensitive additional weight is on an airplane of this size.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:41 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig Herr Little Extra with OS15CV-A-optimum weight

I looked up the Little Extra. 344 sq" area. So, at 32.9oz your wing loading is 13.77oz. I don't see how that could be a problem.

FWIW, divide your wing area by 144. Then, divide your weight in ounces by that number to get wing loading.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Mr67Stang

You are set up exactly like mine. With a Master Air Screw 8x3 I have unlimited virtical. I was able to get balance but added 1 oz of weight to the tail just in front of the tail wheel to do it. This plane is quick and snappy but handles like it's on rails. It will also do a nice harrier pass with a little aileron input to control wing rock. I'ts no 3D machine but it's a lot of fun. I never weighed mine so I have no idea what it weighs. This plane will land nice and slow for you.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:17 AM
flyinrog

Mine is 29.25 oz with everything in it but not connected so add the weight of foam,servo screws maybe a small balsa brace so 30 oz with a 12.55 wing load..I have a Magnum XL15 on mine, cant check the balance until I finish the radio install ,actually just before I finish the radio install so this is all good news, hope for a decent day sunday for a maiden flight on the shrike and my .25 trainer....Rog
Old 12-09-2006, 08:28 AM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of adding wieght to the tail, try putting the battery in the fuse behind the wing.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:04 AM
flyinrog

Do you have one Skal? if you could get one through that small opening it would be resting on monocote, the bottom is more hole than wood unless you cut the covering and made a place/box for the battery...Rog
Old 12-09-2006, 10:39 AM
skaliwag

No ... My flying Bud has one .. I had forgoten that they are stringers. But I may be mistaken.. Remember, if my airplanes end up more than 7oz, they won't fly.
Can you make the hole a little bigger. What size Battery are you using?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:42 AM
sherm24

Thank you all for the quick response. It sounds like I am on the right track. Now I can't wait to get it in the air.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:25 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

No ... My flying Bud has one .. I had forgoten that they are stringers. But I may be mistaken.. Remember, if my airplanes end up more than 7oz, they won't fly.
Can you make the hole a little bigger. What size Battery are you using?
Mine is a 270 Mah, and no you cant open the hole without cutting the wood that holds the rod tubes, its not the stringers, its the 3 inch long lightening holes cut in the bottom of the fuse... I know what your saying, its always better to use equipment than add weight and it could be done if you built it into a kit, but not this ARF.......Rog
Old 12-09-2006, 07:58 PM
skaliwag

If the hole is already there, shouldn't be to difficult to make a hatch would it?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:41 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

If the hole is already there, shouldn't be to difficult to make a hatch would it?
Certainly you wouldnt want ME to recover an ARF my god man! Have you no shame..it could be done, but if mine comes out nose heavy, I would probably pinch a lead fishing weight. around the tail wheel wire before I built a hatch...Rog
Old 12-10-2006, 12:55 AM
chevy43

I straped my battery to a piece of wood with rubber bands and the stuck it way back in the fuse from the wing area and then used a screw to hold the wood near the wing mount. No hatch nessasary.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:17 PM
SquirlNutZipper
My Feedback: (9)

That's funny. I just saw the same plane owned by one of the workers at the LHS and he too had an ounce of lead on the tail. Didn't catch much of the other components as I was listening to the fireball his delta turned into as the battery drew too many amps. I feel bad as I set him up with the motor and plane but not the esc or battery. He was running an OS 15la. I offered him a hand modified engine and he said he had to give the plane full throttle at take off but once away from the ground the the 15la unloaded so much he had his hands more than full. Ended up in a flat spin breaking the prop upon impact.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: chevy43

I straped my battery to a piece of wood with rubber bands and the stuck it way back in the fuse from the wing area and then used a screw to hold the wood near the wing mount. No hatch nessasary.
Dude,..the smallest battery I have is a 110mAh 1/3AA size 4 cell and it is twice as big as the hole to the back of the wing area...good idea but I dont know how you could have done it..
I am thinking of taking out the rudder control but not sure how to anchor the control rod , any Ideas?..guys?..Rog
Old 12-16-2006, 08:29 PM
flyinrog

Crap, the one thing I DO keep up with is the manuals that come with my planes..but I cant find the one for my Extra..so what is the CG location? ..Rog
Old 12-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Larry Driskill

"The recommended starting CG for this model is 2-5/8" back from the leading edge of the wing at the fuseledge side."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42262.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	578565  
Old 12-16-2006, 09:15 PM
flyinrog

Thanks Larry!!
Old 12-24-2006, 03:12 PM
flyinrog

It flew today! Me and Bsarge and Banjoairplane went flying today..alittle windy but nice weather considering its xmas eve!!.Bill flew it first (thanks for the help),my knees were knockin even with him flying it!..I broke the tail wheel off so I hand launched it and then Bill gave me the controls..nice flying plane! a tad tail heavy, because I did go in the first lightening hole ,place the battery and glued a couple a sticks to hold it in place...then Bill flew his Rivets and Shrike that thing is a screamer, but we havent quite got his blackwidow on the Rivets up to peak yet , I think the 6 x 3 prop may be too much... and Rodney (BA) he only flys 4 strokes now, very well I might add.....see ya guys...Rog
Old 12-24-2006, 03:40 PM
BSARGE

That plane flew really well! Very smooooth....like Rog said it was a little tail heavy...so the elevator was a little sensitive but not bad at all....great flying plane! And Rodney was putting on quite a 3D show!

-Bill
Old 12-25-2006, 11:14 PM
sherm24

I finally got the chance to fly the Little Extra today and what a great little airplane. The new OS 15 engine started up right away and after a quick 1 tank break-in on the ground it was ready to fly. It taxied straight as an arrow and lifted off within a hundred feet or so. I got three flights in today and came in deadstick (ran the tank dry) on two of them. It glides and slows down with no tendency to tip stall. Three great landings!! I am running the engine on the rich side so don't expect max speed or performance but would like to know what the optimum prop would be for this combination for more speed (it does not seem too fast at this point). I am running a Zinger wood 8x4 prop on the OS 15 CV-A. What different props have you guys tried with this engine/airplane combination and been pleased with? I am in the midst of putting together another Little Extra but have stripped off the covering (I did not like the brown color with the teal) and am covering it in black & white monokote with circus pink trim. With the covering off it will be easy to put the extra 1 oz of lead inside the fuse in front of the vertical stab.

Thanks to all who answered my original post; it has been very helpful.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Strykaas

Try an APC 7x7. I run one on my os .15LA / Sig Wonder.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:32 AM
chevy43

I'm going to bump this thred since I always have a hard time finding it and lots of people are doing this plane incuding me.

My plan is to slip my flat battery back into the fuse by cutting an oval hole in the angles fairing where the wing faring and wing mount are.

I'm planning on using a twing ball bearing PAW .19 that weighs about 7 oz or just a bit heavier than the OS 15. I does 11k on a MAS 10x4. I might have to lengthen the landing gear for the 10" prop.

I'm going to try the HS55's exept maybe the elevator could get a HS-81. I'm shooting for about 30OZ AUW.

The model with all the hardware it comes with is 15.5 oz.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:47 AM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chevy,
I might reconsider your servo choice.....
Look at the HS 65's for this ship - double the jack but they won't fail and much better centering than 55's and certainly 81's - I think CP said it best in another thread - the most expensive way to fly RC is with the cheapest components.

You know I'm excited to see your ship!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

BUMP (5 years later)....

Would an OS 20 Four Stroke be too much engine for this airframe? Planning to beef up the landing gear and to make the wings "plug-in" rather than one-piece.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: MinnSpin

BUMP (5 years later)....

Would an OS 20 Four Stroke be too much engine for this airframe? Planning to beef up the landing gear and to make the wings ''plug-in'' rather than one-piece.

Thanks for your input.

Think that I've seen a couple of posts here 'bout using a small 4-stroke in the Little Extra.. Look here to see a pic of one. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60..._5/key_/tm.htm .................. The saito 30 is a bit lighter (I think) & has more power. .............................. OK, I gotta ask... Why do you want the wings to "PLUG-IN" ? I'd want one solid piece, plus a wrap of fiberglass around the root ribs. ......................... George K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.