Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Small crew gathering today

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Small crew gathering today

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:06 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small crew gathering today

What a beautiful North Carolina day it was, December, 60 out, slight breeze,,Bsarge, Raindave,Raymond,Aversodt of the crew came out,,I was testing the .15 MagnumXL on my Herr little extra , I had never run the engine before and the plane wasnt ready to fly, no radio and all, but it was running great when it reached out and grabbed my thumb, its not a pretty thingand it hurt when it happened then it was numb,well right up until I got some nitro in there, then it really woke up the pain cells... but the rest of the guys had a great day of flying, I got to see a few flights of raindaves plane, it is smooth looking, couldnt get any power out of the .061 on my shrike, bubbles in the line I think,and without my thumb I didnt really want to fly my trainer, maybe alittle later in the week....the cuts not that bad but I am a pretty free bleeder...Rog
oh yeah the extra is next on the list,dang that needle is close to the prop[:@]

and kudos to Brian for finding the needle in a haystack as I spun the prop nut off and it went flying..I think he got a pic of the others grazing the grass looking for it..
Old 12-10-2006, 06:18 PM
aldelp
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Small crew gathering today

Must be the day for it. I wanted to get my Supertigre .45 in my Accel Pitts running and once started, I moved around back of the engine to adjust the needle valve. When I tried to adjust it, the meat of my hand near my thumb interferred with the spinning prop. Not really a cut, more like taking a chunck out. Did a pretty good job of dripping blood untill I got some paper towels out of the back of my Jeep. No way to stitch it, just bandage it.
I got one flight in with my Big Stick .60 after, but did not enjoy it. Hand hurt too much. Time to come home and watch football!

My own stupid fault!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 PM
propbuster

I couldn't get the TD to run reliably in the ME 109 this afternoon, I did get it running long enough for it to die on the toss and land about 20" away![:@] Gave up on it and tossed the motor glider for a good 15 min flight. Funny thing, the TD on the glider fired right up but wouldn't start on the try for a second flight. Maybe my TD's are just plain wore out! My youngest son (4 yrs old) got a little stick time on the glider when it was about 400' up. Nothing fancy, just using the rudder stick, but he made a couple of left and right turns and thought it was pretty cool! Looks like I might have 3 generations of RC pilots in the family soon. So, only one flight with the glider, but I missed out on the prop bites, so I will call it a good day!
Old 12-10-2006, 06:52 PM
dieFluggeister

Wow sorry about the accidents guys. Makes you wonder if that sugical glue idea was invented on the flight line...

Makes me jealous of your guys' weather to hear about nice flying days. May have to consider a move...
Old 12-10-2006, 07:16 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: dieFluggeister

Wow sorry about the accidents guys. Makes you wonder if that sugical glue idea was invented on the flight line...

Makes me jealous of your guys' weather to hear about nice flying days. May have to consider a move...
Your welcome to move down here Mike but this isnt quite normal weather not usually that warm in December and we had a couple of nights down to 20 and its not usually that cold here...not rubbing it in, I saw your video ...Rog
Old 12-10-2006, 07:19 PM
aldelp
My Feedback: (76)

Well Mike I don't know if you would be moving down or up, I live in Connecticut.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:32 PM
rainedave

LOL, Mike. Right before we packed it up today we were talking about the video your daughter shot of you on the frozen river! I don't know if a river in NC has ever frozen over like that. You'd make a fine Tarheel, I think.

Wow, what a great day. BSARGE maidened his Shrike with an unrun AP Wasp. It flew great. I'm sorry rog had trouble with his shrike (and his thumb). But, he'll get it ironed out next time. I got four different planes up and down without a mishap, so that was good. Even Brian's son got to fly on a buddy box. Raymond had some weird plane that didn't sound like a 1/2A at all. It was really quiet, sort of like an electric.[X(] Actually, I flew two electrics myself today.

I did notice that a couple of the "bigger" fliers were showing some interest in our small stuff. Maybe we'll get more people interested. All in all it was a beautiful day. The wind picked up a little around four but then died back down. Thanks to everyone for a great afternoon.

There should be some photos coming soon...
Old 12-10-2006, 08:09 PM
BSARGE

ORIGINAL: rainedave
I'm sorry rog had trouble with his shrike (and his thumb). But, he'll get it ironed out next time.
His thumb or the shrike?[X(]

Man it was a good day! Except for Rog's thumb...pretty nasty...the side of his plane looked like the scene of a homicide[:-]

I love the Shrike!!!! Thanks to Rog & Raymond for helping me getting it the air...I greatly appreciate it!!! And thanks to Raymond for adjusting the trims for me since I was about 30 seconds behind the airplane....It scared the you know what out of me on the first launch as it was REALLY sensitive on the ailerons....so Raymond sees I am struggling with over correcting and says "hey, you got dual rates on that?" Well, right then I realized I had it on high rates for the test flight(didn't mean to)....so in my infinite wisdom and since I was way behind the plane I say to Raymond "would you mind flipping the dual rates down for me?" which he does and then the plane was awsome to fly...on one pass I think I got it down to about 3 feet off the ground and right down the runway...what a blast!

Raymond's foamy Shrike was way cool....I loved it.....soon as I figure out the electric thing I will be all over foam construction.

-Bill

Old 12-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

In no particular order. . .

1. Bsarge's Shrike flew as pretty as it looked. And a little more time on that engine will no doubt produce a winner.
2. Remember that character in Lil Abner who was always followed by the black cloud. His name was Joe Blfztfx of somethign similar. I think he was lurking somewhere near Rog today.
3. Rainedave's SureShark is 'awsome' - this is not a word I use often. She flies like she doesn't know she's little. Darn good finish too. Makes me wanna stomp on my ugly models.
4. After thinking about my E-Shrike's behavior on the hour and a half ride home I have come to the conclusion that due to the way I mounted the cambered, single-surface airfoil (FFF) - I essentially have upthrust in her! The bad news is that I probably won't be able to test that theory until after the first of the year.
5. Multi Shrike photo contains, left to right, Raymond, Rog, Bill.
6. SureShark photo contains Dave.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98915.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	574971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71611.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	574972  
Old 12-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like you guys had a good day of flying -- you NC boys are turning out some pretty decent planes. Now that the Sure-Shark is getting tuned in, when are some plans going to be slipping out?

Hey Rog, stay outta' those props -- you keep that up and you'll drive up my AMA insurance.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:56 PM
flyinrog

Hahaha!, believe me Andrew, if that hit would have been an .049 it would have stopped the engine! but I'm not used to .15s, it all happened so fast I couldnt even figure out how to cut the engine off! I had my finger over the exhaust when Raymond came over and pinched the fuel line, duh! my extra was covered in blood already..

In that pic of Dave the guy behind him on the right with the white hat cleaning his plane is James and he wants a Rivets to join in the fun...another new crew member in the making...Rog
Old 12-10-2006, 09:25 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

I had a great time today as well. Rainedav let me fly his Sure Shark (cool name) along with his SunFli several times each - both great fliers. His Beetween is a bunch of fun as well on that $9 electric motor. Great to see his Dad out there as well.

My son, Nathan, had a ball helping retrieve planes and get a chance at the sticks. A gentleman walked over asking if he (Nathan) wanted to fly his Kadet Senior. Nathan had a ball.

Yes, there were several grown men wandering around in strange pattern with heads down for quite some time. I, at first, thought it was one of Raymond's "Ancient Preflight Rituals" (APR) - notice Raymond behind Roger, in the red sweatshirt, on all four's... Then as I got closer it became clear that these grown men were looking for a prop nut. I then jumped in and found it a few minutes later after learning this procedure after observing Raymond.

Bunch of neat planes out today... and guys to talk to about small stuff. Ton of fun, looking forward to next time.

Brian (Av8rsodt)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35442.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	575014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51952.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	575015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50986.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	575016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib83129.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	575017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc39450.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	575018  
Old 12-10-2006, 09:31 PM
rainedave

Nice pics, Raymond. I guess I need to build a shrike now.

Hurry up with the pics, av8rsodt! I know you probably have some good ones of somebody on their hands and knees foraging for a prop nut.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:47 PM
flyinrog

In that 4th pic, thats Steve Wall our (former) club pres and Dave Guerin the guy that runs the Nats in Muncie for pattern flyers...Nathan is off to a good start...Rog
Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Who knew?[]
I wouldn't have been able to make it anyway. It looks like I will be running a little later than normal tomorrow Dave, so I must beg a pass.

While I didn't do it this week, I did permanently modify my right bird fingerprint with a .46FX[:@]

I flew the F-20 yesterday and broke in the TT.46 for the Predator today - not a total bust.

Nice E-shrike pappy
Old 12-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Who else knew????[>:] Here I am, slaving at the shop over a finicky mold all afternoon and what are YOU guys doing???? Having fun and then having the nerve to POST IT !!!!...... that's just mean........guess I need to get out more....

Deadstik
Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Two 1/2A shrikes on the same field at the same time and no one set up the poles? It would also be interesting if not revealing to see the Shrikes go at it against RDs' clean ship, [with the same amount of power]. Any bets?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 PM
rainedave

cp, I actually had the Sure Shark in the air at the same time Bill had his AP Wasp powered shrike up. It was pretty close speed wise. If he had a reedy on it I would have smoked him.[X(]
Old 12-10-2006, 10:45 PM
flyinrog

Hold up guys..RD said he was going and that Bsarge may be ther in the 3ish range, I knew at noon it was too nice out to miss out, I didnt know Raymond or Brian were coming until I got there, I would have sent out a message if I knew what the weather was gonna be! ya'll have to know that by now..I'm gonna try for 2 1/2a flyins and a runwhatyabrung (up to .40)flyin this summer too...Rog..I KNOW we can all get along
Old 12-10-2006, 10:59 PM
rainedave

rog is right. This whole thing was sort of impromptu. It wasn't what you'd call an organized event. Dan and vic, now that I'm a legit, paid-in-full BARKS member, you can be my guests anytime you want to fly there. We will have more warm sunny days this month I'm sure.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Mr67Stang

Hey Rog, sorry bout your thumb. Hope you get it well enough to bang the sticks around with your lil Extra. It's a lot of fun. I am looking forward to the next event and hope to bring a .049 powered Rivets out. Unless of course if we can get some laser cuts done on that SureShark as that would quickly become a top priority build on my bench. I am getting pretty good at handeling faster planes and would love to be able to compete next time. Just not at SnowCamp aka Radio Hit Hill.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:44 AM
flyinrog

Hey stang, the next event is at Swepsonville, nice field, not quite as wide open as Snow Camp, but we all had a good time there today ,except the hit I got on the thumb..get on that rivets, I need to experiment with one and see if I can get a 1/2oz tank in there and fit on an .061 and sheet the wing for strength..for the unlimited race...Rog
Old 12-11-2006, 06:41 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Mr67,

I gave you that LS-150 because I thought you were in a hurry to get a small bird in the air so you could come play with us. Did that not work out?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:19 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Well, Guys, went to the field yesterday to test a new reedie racer design and put a few flights on my School Boy. Well the first flight on the reedie racer lasted about 30 seconds incredibly fast for a Baby Bee .049 power but quite after 30 seconds. Upon landing I found that all the screws except one was holding the crankcase to the tank. Strangly a new baby Bee never run!! After tighting everything up the second flight was a bit of fun. It appears the M5 receiver that was in my reedie racer at the last flyin is getting hit. At the last reedie race it appeared I got hit with full down at the second pylon. I blamed it on the pilot but now I am retracing that statement. I got 3 hits of full down yesterday during the last flight. Luckily I was 4 full downs high!!!

Now with the School Boy it was another story. 2 flights no problem. 3rd flight Pee Wee .020 engine running sweet. Grabbed the fuselage just behind landing gear holding it backwards to turn on receiver. A freak puff of wind blew the tail up. Results…. A gash about 1-1/2 inch long in the old arm just behind the wrist. Boy did I feel stupid!! Did not bleed much but need stitches so ends my flying day!!!!

Bob Harris
Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I am thinking we are ready for our new name...the Carolina cut ups? Free bleeders of the southeast? Or the southeast society of the open wound.[sm=stupid.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.