Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Announcement!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:30 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Announcement!

Ok, just wanted to let you guys know my site will probably be going down. Only for a few days. I've switched service and am taking my own sweet time getting it back up. Ok, give me a little break. My wisdom teeth were cut out yesterday, so I've been a little drugged out. Couldn't concentrate on anything that required writing skills. So... here's a little peek at just one of the new things going up on the site. It will be available in CAD or .PDF for you pencil pushers. (with dimensions)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25665.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	577433  
Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 PM
ptulmer

Default RE: Announcement!

Oops, forgot to mention that it's an Air Hogs Aero Ace radio system!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:57 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the maximum weight that system will fly?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:00 PM
ptulmer

Sorry Dave, I'm going to pass that question along to someone with a better scale. Certainly not much though. I think it puts out about 1/4 the power of a screaming TD .01.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:11 PM
digital_trucker

I feel your pain. I've had 3 teeth cut outta my head this year. Let me know when you're all set up and running so I can get the full 3-D drawing of the AP .061 to ya! [8D]
Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

RaineDave,

My Pelouze scale (probably not the most accurate) says my Aero Aces weigh .6 ounces. I expect that the motors would push a little more. But don't forget that you can buy another battery and run them in series or parallel. I keep having visions of an F5F with Blackhawk markings but I can't bring myself to destroy an Aero Ace - yet.

I can't wait to see what Patrick has up/under his sleeve.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:37 AM
ptulmer

Well, there is power to spare with the "jet" version. It seems to have slightly different motors. Put the stickers on them fellers and you won't mind pulling the motors out.[:'(] Even using lots of care, the stickers will warp the wings all up. I do wonder if the "jet" version has a lower flight time. Seems likely. Couldn't keep mine in the air long enough to find out!

Raymond, up my sleeve is a very simple plan. Something like the bipe, but with a single high wing. Probably just a shaped 1/8" balsa wing, but you put me in mind of a built-up 1/32 wing when you wrote back the other day. Either way, the idea is to simply make something that won't porpoise all over the yard and can be easily controlled. (without modification)

Anybody that hasn't picked one up yet, my six year old boy flies mine better than I do. So does my 30yo brother in law. Guess what they are both getting for Christmas! You can still find the biplanes every once in a while. Just gotta look around. I picked two up in Jville, FL last weekend.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Contest grade 1/8 or 3/32 would work I'd bet. Maybe even 1/16? You gonna introduce it at Perry?

Hmmm.
I can't help wonder if a Jedelski wing like Mike's "Grace" wouldn't provide a little LE strength with the rest of it lighter - say, 1/32.
CP would likely do a built-up wing with Reynold's wrap covering.
Rainedave would cover his built-up wing with tissue (and make me drool).
Rog would cover with Monokote.
And Vic would glass his and switch to engines with a tuned pipes.

I think "shaped" 1/32 would be plenty. The motor "nacelles" (for lack of a better word) could also act as ribs to hold the airfoil shape . . .

. . . and pilot figures, retracts, flaps, Jetex/Rapier boost . . . (pant, pant, wheeze - quick where's my medicine!)
Old 12-15-2006, 10:31 AM
ptulmer

Introduce it at Perry? Shoot, what's the point? Naw, the only thing I'll probably bring is some old aircraft I want to rid myself of. Go get your medicine, cause I have to admit that there's a much larger project in front of this. Can't talk about it yet. But the CAD objects will go up first.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:10 PM
flyswatter

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

...My wisdom teeth were cut out yesterday, so I've been a little drugged out. Couldn't concentrate on anything that required writing skills....
Look on the bright side. You were lucky. Because they were so small, it was easy to take them all out at the same time.

What larger project, Buster? BTW, are you aviating this sunday? Come out and we will fly some and then go to DQ and eat ice cream and compare woes, whatchu say?

Old 12-22-2006, 10:07 AM
ptulmer

FS, we gotta do Loco's pretty soon. Too much talking to do for ice cream.

This site is turning into a real project. I've done quick jobs on it before, but this time I'm going for broke. Anybody know how to skin dotnetnuke?[>:] I hope to have it up and running by Jan 1st!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:29 AM
rainedave

ptulmer, it looks like dotnetnuke uses CSS style sheets. I think the .css files are in the skin zip files. I don't see why you couldn't write your own style sheet, zip them up and upload it into the skins dir.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:22 AM
ptulmer

I need a clone to get all this done. I'm probably going to sell out and buy a skin.[X(]
Old 12-22-2006, 01:33 PM
small_rcer

PT

Have you tried NVU for creating the web content? link is http://www.nvu.com/index.php

Free download. High quality.

Jim H
Old 12-22-2006, 02:04 PM
ptulmer

Jim, I tried it. Nice and basic. Looks to be about the same as Composer. DNN is hopefully going to make the larger site easier to manage and allow me to install some nice features. Without spoiling too much, I'm looking at a collaborative section and a photo section that would need to be logged into. I want to make a section for other people to share their work without causing myself a big headache.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:36 PM
rainedave

DNN has CMS capabilities, I think. That's nice to have if several people are adding content to templates, but for a one-person operation it's not all that necessary. I think you could build a much lighter and easier to maintain site just using CSS with Dreamweaver templates. If you want to have a database that's not hard to do with PHP and MySQL.

Here's a site I designed and built that way. The Program Requirements are pulled in with PHP. The content is added and edited in a web interface with form fields. The person adding content does not have to know one speck of HTML, they just type content into fields similar to writing a PM here at RCU. Type and click Submit and the content is updated.

http://www.aas.duke.edu/study_abroad/venice/index.php
Old 12-22-2006, 04:14 PM
ptulmer

Dave, you might know all about that good stuff, but I've got my hands full right now with the changing communications technology. (back to school again next month) DNN is a plug and play solution. (did I mention that it's quick and easy?) Also, keep in mind that I can only do what the service provider allows! The only software I can use is on the list.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 PM
ptulmer

Got the Blink and DNU back up. This is a slow process because I've got family here and couldn't get vacation this week.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:16 PM
digital_trucker

Oh goody! Maybe soon I can finally share the REAL 3D CAD model of the AP .061.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:36 PM
ptulmer

Yep! Getting it from you to me will be the biggest challenge. My new host limits the mailbox size, so I'm going to set you up with an FTP account. I'll PM you soon with the info.