Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

What cylinder for a Cox Medallion?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

What cylinder for a Cox Medallion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cylinder for a Cox Medallion?

Looks like a Medallion .049, as best as I can tell. Swap meet engine, the cylinder screwed off by hand, glow plug element gone, low compression.... Cylinder is single by-pass (?) has a 2 stamped on it. What is this supposed to have on it. I've got plenty of stuff dating back to the 60's, so I may have a cylinder for it in the bin. I also have an old Black Widow cylinder/piston, NIP, I've been saving for years.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:42 PM
SGC

Default RE: What cylinder for a Cox Medallion?

The black widow piston/cyl set will do fine on the medalion crankcase, use a surestart,TD or galbreth head on it. The No2 cylinder is from a GoldenBee, some were also fitted to babybee's.
Stewart
Old 12-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Medallion is supposed to have a single bypass cylinder. Your Black Widow stuff will probably work better.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:48 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Medallion .049 has a #2 stamped on the cylinder and the cylinder has never been off the engine. Mine has the low compression plug also. I don't think I have replaced it.

George
Old 12-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Use that Black Widow cylinder, and replace the head with a H.C. type if you have it. If you do this, I would suggest three gaskets to start with. You will find it to be strong setup, as compaired to a stock Medallion with the SBC.

I would suggest checking the spray bar for cloged oil or blockage, remove the needle valve and look for a clear opening through the spraybar.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the info, I'm still going to hang on to the BW cylinder since it's new, but I've got plenty of used cylinders for it.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Duane-RCU;
Sounds good, if you switch between a select few cylinders, testing between the #2 that is on the motor, a dual bypass with sub-induction can offer the best power. Used with a H.C. head, it will really wake the engine to life.

That Widow NIP one, check it with a bright light every now and then, looking for rust in the inside, it can happen if the factory oil drys out to far. I have had this happen to a couple of cylinders. Nothing like a fresh oil coating on that stored batch of parts to keep them in top shape.